Grrrrr.... Rust.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rose Chap

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus GS450h
Whilst the slow arrival of Spring is of course entirely welcome and long overdue, it does mean that there is more light available by which to judge my CLK's growing list of imperfections.

Whilst filling up this morning, I noticed rust on the front wheel arches. This is not horrendous, but is definitely noticable. It's on both sides.

In addition, the wheels are starting to discolour and corrode and could do with a refurb.

Also, the leading edge of the bonnet (under the grille) has a rust spot caused by a stone impact which is more cosmetic than structually worrying, but is clearly not ideal. The rest of the bonnet has plenty of stone chips entirely commensurate with the age and mileage.

I guess the question is, with 167,000 miles on the clock now, is it worth spending money fixing these annoyances? I'm thinking it would be around £250 to £300 for the wheels, and maybe between £500 and £800 for the wings and bonnet. Sound about right?

I've had the CLK for 5 years now and it's been a brilliant car, even so I am contemplating changing it - I don't want to own it forever so it's not a money no object decision.

Any nuggets of wisdom from the MB Club community? Would you would do in my position?

Sounds like you already want to sell it. Get rid and try something else.

Sell it now whilst they're minor imperfections and it probably won't affect value significantly. Nowhere near the cost of putting right.

Buy something that won't rust within 10 years, despite being allegedly made by a company that cares about quality and stands by its products. I'd recommend something from the VW group :thumb:

<---- bad mood today, and seeing the ever-increasing rust on my car each day doesn't help.

You can get wheel refurb for about £45 a corner, and touch-up will take care of the bonnet well enough to be sold. Polish up the arches to remove all but the worst of it and sell it, IMO.

Personally I wouldn't spend those figures of the car, but would consider fixing the rust DIY at the very least.

If you're bored with it, tidy it up and move it on. Many more cars out there worth experiencing.

I agree.

Don't spend the cash.

Try and treat as much of the rust yourself, till you can sell it.

I agree with much of this too, I'd suggest touching up if possible and a good clean prior to putting it up for sale. If they were really bad I'd be tempted to get the wheels sorted, depending upon their size you may well be able to get them done for less than £200.

get some rust treatment on it to stop it, buff it up and sell it.

remember it's only a car

Rust.... Wouldn't have had THAT problem with the Roadster :p lol

Kate

to be honest why is every one scared of the rust. i ahd all tops of my doors cut and resealed new wings and bonnet resprayed for £600 and now i have a completly rust free 210.. with 110k on it that will probly outlast anyhatchback 4 banger.. if i where you id get it fixxed buy some new rims get it lowered you can easily breath new life into a old car and fall in love with it all over again.. cheaper than getting a newer car

to be honest why is every one scared of the rust. i ahd all tops of my doors cut and resealed new wings and bonnet resprayed for £600 and now i have a completly rust free 210.. with 110k on it that will probly outlast anyhatchback 4 banger.. if i where you id get it fixxed buy some new rims get it lowered you can easily breath new life into a old car and fall in love with it all over again.. cheaper than getting a newer car

So they welded in new metal?

Buy something that won't rust within 10 years, despite being allegedly made by a company that cares about quality and stands by its products. I'd recommend something from the VW group :thumb:

<---- bad mood today, and seeing the ever-increasing rust on my car each day doesn't help.

yeah how about a hyundai or bmw with service pack..or anything else thats not a mercedes. long warranty! no worries:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom