GSM Command Module not upgradeable ! Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

soofsayer

Car
SL55
Hi,

I bought a new SL55 in Sept 03, with all the toys, including the GSM kit for a Nokia 6310(i).

As 6310s have now been end of life for a while, I approached my dealer (Harrogate) about upgrading the GSM kit to bluetooth or something else whereby I could use newer phones.

I was told that the system in my car cannot be upgraded to anything and the only option is to have a seperate bluetooth module fitted with a seperate speaker! Nice, not! OR keep buying 6310s...

So this means that I bought an option from MB that was going to be obsolete in a couple of months (6310 went end of life early 04).

Is it just me or have MB lost the plot when it comes to looking after customers that pay £100k for a car?

Has anyone else had the same problems with upgrading their phone kit, and has anyone come up with a 'clever' alternative instead of adorning my car with extra plastic bits, and still being able to use the Command system as it was intended?

Many thanks.

soofsayer said:
Hi,

I bought a new SL55 in Sept 03, with all the toys, including the GSM kit for a Nokia 6310(i).

As 6310s have now been end of life for a while, I approached my dealer (Harrogate) about upgrading the GSM kit to bluetooth or something else whereby I could use newer phones.

I was told that the system in my car cannot be upgraded to anything and the only option is to have a seperate bluetooth module fitted with a seperate speaker! Nice, not! OR keep buying 6310s...

So this means that I bought an option from MB that was going to be obsolete in a couple of months (6310 went end of life early 04).

Is it just me or have MB lost the plot when it comes to looking after customers that pay £100k for a car?

Has anyone else had the same problems with upgrading their phone kit, and has anyone come up with a 'clever' alternative instead of adorning my car with extra plastic bits, and still being able to use the Command system as it was intended?

Many thanks.

Get the dealer to convert your 6310 install to a UHI install. It involves quite a bit of legwork for the dealer as they will basically ahve to strip your car down and fit a new module for the uhi

Universal handy interface , this allows diferent cradles to be bought to take diferent telephones. Each cradle costs £130 each and there are a limited number avalible.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

This is what I do with the same problem...

I've got a couple of Nokia 6310i's. I leave one in the car (hidden in the arm rest) all the time and the other is a 'spare'!. I have a Pay as You Go card in it and I forward all incoming calls to the PAYG number if my main mobile number is ringing but not answered i.e. after 6 rings or something... I think you can set this on all phones I do this with both an o2 XDA IIs and Nokia 8910i.

This gives me the best of both worlds. Fully integrated handsfree in the car with Comand & steering wheel integration and ease of use. The disadvantge is that when I make outgoing calls not everyone knows it's me, but that isn't a huge issue. Close friends & family have the second number and I can always withold it if I don't want anyone to get confused!

Some networks allow you to have 2 SIM cards with the same telephone number. This is how many people in Europe (certainly Germany address the issue). I know Vodafone allow this in the UK & IIRC Orange may. Unfortunatley o2 (who I use) don't as yet. Perhaps this is why Mercedes haven't addressed the issue until the introduction of UHI (Universal Handy Interface). UHI allows you to change just the cradle if you want to change your phone. But I believe that this was only available from 2004 / 2005.

You could possibly retrofit the newer UHI phone kit as suggested by Fuzzer. However this is likely to cost alot. When I enquired about it I was told almost £1k - no I'm not kidding ;-) Hence my other approach above!

Many dealers will claim that the UHI upgrade is not possible. Try Braybrooks www.braybrooks.co.uk (they did my 6310i upgrade) or Steve at MbenzNL mbenznl.com

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your posts - i will investigate !!!

Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom