GT S Spec....and other updates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palmball

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi R8 V10+ & BMW M5
With the GT ordered a few months ago and my (second) SLS well behind me with the dealer having now sold it on, I'm well into a lengthy stint behind the wheel of whatever loan car the dealer decide I should have (as part of letting the SLS go early, I negotiated for the dealer to provide me with a free car until the GT arrives). So far I've had an A250 4-matic, a new shape C220 and I'm currently in a A45 AMG :crazy: All good fun!

The original expected delivery date of May isn't going to happen and the GT is now excepted to arrive in August....so that'll be a 1st September delivery date then :( It seems a long way off however there's been mild excitement in the last week as I've had to lock down my spec (which seems a bit early but hey ho).

After much deliberation and changing of mind, the spec's now finalised. I definitely didn't make it easy for myself though - I decided months ago that it would be Hyacinth Red but at the very last minute (when I was sat in the dealer last week) I switched to Brilliant Blue.....mainly because I was slightly put off by how variable Hyacinth Red can be in different lighting.

Then the following day I quickly switched back to Hyacinth Red as the Blue just looked too ordinary in any pictures that weren't promotional shots....plus I couldn't cope with the mental trauma of having committed to red for so long, then changing at the last minute! :eek: The interior caused similar confusion but in the end this is what I've got:

- Hyacinth Red
- Saddle Brown (i.e. tan) quilted leather
- Black Diamond trim (apparently this is created with some kind of new process that makes the black appear 3D and is more scratch resistant than piano black)
- Premium Package
- Ceramic Brakes (an extravagance but after having them on the SLS, they feel great and the total lack of brake dust is amazing)
- Driving Assistant Package (you have to have this to get the radar cruise)
- Night Package (exterior trim in gloss back and tinted rear windows)
- Dynamic Plus Package (meaning I get the active engine and transmission mounts which will really add to the driving experience if they're anything like as effective as the ones I had in my 911 Turbo)
- Burmester High End Sound System

Frustratingly, a lot of options are only available as packs which means I get kit that I don't really want - e.g. to be able to spec the Burmester audio upgrade, you have to get the Premium Package first. Yet I don't really want the panoramic roof that comes with that package so I've ended up with a load of kit I'm not bothered about, just to get the bit's I do want :rolleyes:

Roll on 1st September.............:D

Mercedes-AMG-GT-Color-5_zps7caa1fcb.jpg

10644473_915885441773539_8818808452947527195_n_zpsa825e7c0.jpg

GTInterior-SaddleBrownDash_zps60b34858.jpg

GTInterior-SaddleBrownSeat_zps6d03cd6f.jpg

In other news, the white ML63 we bought in September lasted all of 6 weeks :eek: Even by my standards, thats some going :eek:

It was a fabulous car and in fact was one of the best and one of my most favourite of all the cars we've had. In fact, I can't believe we nearly didn't buy one, simply because it just wasn't on my radar amongst the likes of a Range Rover Sport. However, this truck turned out to be one the best all-rounders we've had....sports car fast, luxury car refined, it sounds sooo rude, lots of space, outstanding seats (although what AMG doesn't?), it rides superbly if very firmly for an air-suspended car, it handles 'comfortably' (at 2.3 tons it's definitely not 'agile', but it also has active anti-roll bars so it doesn't roll at all and as such feels very impressive in bends) and in full fat AMG spec, it has real presence. Love it :cool:

However.....the other half decided that the beige leather and wood trim wasn't to her liking or in keeping with her image (the spec of which meant we got the car VERY cheap). I then found a newer, lower mileage, better spec'd (also white) and still reasonably priced ML63 but this time with a black interior.....so I swapped it. Save for the number plate, it's identical on the outside but the black leather interior is much more befitting of the car (and the other half's image). Thankfully, the first one was so cheap (relatively to other current-shape ML63's) that I only lost £750 when I traded it in so I got away lightly with that 'mistake'.

IMG_2155_zps1c484067.jpg

Last edited:
Love reading your threads, keeping us updated on the GT.

Thumbs up on the red.

Beautiful......I REALLY like the red based on those pictures......I love the sound of those ceramic brakes.

Like you I would not have wanted a panoramic roof but many do.......clever marketing or just obtuse?

Mic

I'm with you on the bundling of options. The engineers spend ages taking weight out of the car, only for you to have to put 100 kilos back in superfluous glass to get the option you do want.

As well as the lack of brake dust, the carbon ceramics also look very cool in a high tech way. I read a good article on them in evo mag at the weekend. It was interesting to see that when cold they were only a metre or so off the steel discs. Dispelling the myth that they need quite a bit of heat to be as effective. Naturally after some continuous high speed braking they were significantly better than steel.

£750 for a full retrim on the ML seems very good value to me! ;)

cheers, Steve

Last edited:
Wow, both cars are so beautiful. If only the AMG GT was 4 door, but I'm expecting people to reply the S63 Coupe ;p. I'd probably lose my license, and possibly end up in a tree if any of the two happens. Maybe when my son decides to get his priorities right, and starts doing homework so I'm at rest that he won't need the money. Trust me, you will love the Burmester High End 3D System if it anything like the S Class is, but forgive me if I didn't bother to read another thread if you typed it up, but why did you leave the SLS?

As well as the lack of brake dust, the carbon ceramics also look very cool in a high tech way. I read a good article on them in evo mag at the weekend. It was interesting to see that when cold they were only a metre or so off the steel discs. Dispelling the myth that they need quite a bit of heat to be as effective. Naturally after some continuous high speed braking they were significantly better than steel.

I've now had two cars with ceramic brakes (M6 and SLS) and in neither have I ever felt that they lacked any kind of bite from cold.

I suspect design and execution have improved since the earlier iterations because another thing I liked about the brakes was how sharp they felt at the top of the pedal - it sure made the cars feel like they were stopping quicker than normal even if they weren't!

Wow, both cars are so beautiful. If only the AMG GT was 4 door, but I'm expecting people to reply the S63 Coupe ;p. I'd probably lose my license, and possibly end up in a tree if any of the two happens. Maybe when my son decides to get his priorities right, and starts doing homework so I'm at rest that he won't need the money. Trust me, you will love the Burmester High End 3D System if it anything like the S Class is, but forgive me if I didn't bother to read another thread if you typed it up, but why did you leave the SLS?

Thanks and great news on the sound system - the SLS's B&O was shocking to the point that it's the worst premium sound system I've ever heard.

On the SLS, a £20k profit (in 6 months, less what I spent at AMG) may have had something to do with it's early demise! This was a result of the combination (and luck) of buying an SLS just at the end of it's production run when there was still some (if still very limited) choice in the used market, and then selling the car whilst there was still plenty of pent-up demand and almost no supply on a car that was out then of production.

In reality, having had an SLS before, I wasn't sure at the time whether to buy another one or wait for the GT. In the end I went for the SLS (always knowing I'd want the newer car at some point) although I never thought that decision would actually help 'fund' the GT :D

That red is delicious.

Indeed! And looks so right!

Congrats! that is a mean machine. I will one day have one of those mean machines! Now I have 2 kids that I need to spend my hard earned on :)

Enjoy!

Pete

Lovely cars and I'm sure you work hard for your money, SLS in red if I had that money would be a NO. I believe your first option Blue would have been a better one even on re sale in the future. Just my opinion, enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom