gTechniq ceramic worth it or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bullbars

Car
Mercedes-AMG C63S (W205)
With any luck, will take delivery of an Obsidian Black C63S in under a month.

Having had a number of black cars (current one included) I'm aware of how they can be a bit of a nightmare to keep looking good. A friend has just bought a BMW 435d in black also, and is thinking about getting it ceramic coated.

Is this worthwhile, in anyone's opinion? Particularly versus spending half the amount and just getting the new car professionally detailed, waxed and polished?

cheers
rich

Its worth it if done in the right environment.

Maintanence washes need to be keep up to date as well or not the ceramic coating will not last as long.

I had the GTechniq Crystal Serum applied to a dark blue metallic car a few weeks ago. Time will tell but I am already finding hairline scratches on the rear bumper lip (wife lazily putting stuff in/out) and around the door handle. For £500 I am not amazed but I will need to evaluate in 6 months. The Wheel Armour C5 is great stuff.

Had it done on my C63 and was that impressed that i had it put on the Mrs Nismo RS Juke when she got it.
The cars actually seem to stay cleaner and when they are washed look as good as the day it was put on

Last edited:
Thanks guys...

Had it done on my C63 and was that impressed that i had it put on the Mrs Nismo RS Juke when she got it.
The cars actually seem to stay cleaner and when they are washed look as good as the day it was put on

What sort of washing do you do? Does the Crystal Serum make washing any easier, e.g. just blast the car with a pressure washer, or is it still a case of doing it "properly"?

You could get away with a jet wash but I always wash with the Gtech car wash after blasting any thick off. Had mine topped with EXO which makes the water just run off.

I have tried all brands over the years and was sold on Zymol products for a while but the Gtech blows it out of the water for durability

I had a ceramic coating applied to my SL a couple of years ago........sufficiently impressed to have MrsB's SLK done last year.

Not gtech but "Liquid Elements" by Krystal Kleen.

Mic

Much as Simon mentions above, I'm also not impressed with Crystal Serum after now having it applied to numerous cars, especially given the cost and claims.

Sure, it makes the surface slippery and relatively easy to clean but the main claim of the product is to resist swirls through its very hard layer of protection. It's a nonsense if you ask me - you still get the same amount of swirling and light scratches despite what I would class as very careful hand washing.

So, what I've done with my latest car is use a much cheaper ceramic coating (such as Gtechniq's own Crystal Serum Light at £40) and then apply a good quality wax on top of this for a really shiny finish.

Good thing using the coating is that the swirls will appear in the coating rather than your clear coat which helps when coming to re detail the car less cost.

Well yes but you cannot polish off Crystal Serum, it needs to be sanded off. So the swirls still remain visible.

S

I've had Gtechniq on my last two E63's with the current one being crystal serum.

The "washed" finish is fantastic, and now easy to achieve, but I'm under no illusion that the paint is now swirl and scratch resistant, so still treat it very carefully.

A body that is abrasive enough to cause a swirl or scratch will beat any coating IMO.

Where Gtechniq scores is in saving me time polishing and waxing, which isn't a hobby to me.

Before having it applied, the application is only as good as the prep work, so have the paint corrected where necessary and you'll see the benefits.

Quotes for a two stage machine polish/correction with crystal serum can be around 1 or 2k.

Steve

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I knew i should have taken some pics today, as this contest of durability and swirl reduction on G Techniq against a standard wax is always a good talking point.
All my customers cars have C1 and C2 applied, but after that its coat after coat of a good quality wax on top, for gloss and swirl reduction.
These regular daily used cars are valeted and waxed every week without fail mind, and i am finding that, with very carefull washing, so thats, rinse, foam, rinse, wash with pure wool lambs mitt and massive 20ltr buckets, rinse off, dry down with air blower first, then drying towel with detailer spritz!, that the paint work has very or no swirls at all.
I will take some pics of the year old RR next week to show you the condition.
Over the last few years i have been using Glassique wax from Inspired Automotive in Wakefield, a great wax for the money, its around £50 i think?

Its worth it if done in the right environment.

Maintanence washes need to be keep up to date as well or not the ceramic coating will not last as long.
Can I ask what happens if the paintwork gets further scratches and swirls - whats the process if the car needs re polishing, I've read many ceramic coats need sanding off (at significant expense and potential damage)?

In the early days a coating could be chemically stripped but with today's products a covalent bond with the paint surface is achieved and the only way to remove a ceramic coating is by abrasion. Paint protection film (PPF) is becoming a lot more popular as a defence against stone chips and scratches. It is optically clear and can even be topped with a ceramic coating to achieve the same gloss levels to render it almost invisible.

I am still firmly in the wax camp, purely for the ease of paint correction after the inevitable disasters that come with driving in the real world. Fortunately I find waxing quite therapeutic and dare I say sensual - just me, Red Ken, the finest ivory carnauba wax applied by the heat of a bare hand and Barry White playing on the Burmester :thumb:

Here's a 4-minute clip discussing the benefits of both processes:

Ceramic Coatings vs. Waxing explained

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom