Gtechniq or Autofinesse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Brent

Car
CLS SB 350
I am considering coating my 2013 CLS SB (Silver) It was coated I think with Diamondbrite by the dealer and I have applied 1 layer of HD Wax.

I have time (retired) and good garage space, I planned a snowfoam wash, 2 bucket wash, light clay then a panel wipe as a prep, is this OK for either Gtechniq C1 & C2 or Autofinesse Tough Coat?

Having read a few sites it looks as if the AF may be easier to apply (less risk) but the Gtechniq a better result.

I would appreciate some advice on the prep and which one to choose.

Thank you

I have head the GTechniq is hard to apply, it looked a disaster on Palmball's black Jaguar but I suspect silver may hide any mistakes better.

A good claying is essential and maybe even a pre with something like Dodo Juice Lime Prime first. I then wipe down with diluted Isopropyl alcohol. The GTechniq website will have lots of info.

S

C2 is very easy to apply, just spray wet or dry and buff off with an MF cloth. Last 6-8 months depending on use, and conditions.

With C1 you have to be more careful as it hardens to a protective coat. Don't over apply, do small areas at a time and you'll be fine. It's common to overcoat c1 with Exov2 or C2 for extra water repellency. C1 will last 2 years+ depending on use, and conditions. Exov2 later on top ~12 months and C2 ~6-8 months. For C1 and Exov2 you'll need a dust free dry environment to apply and panel wipe before C1 is applied as it chemically bonds.

C2 can be done outside even in low temps.

cheers, Steve

Theres not much on the market that beats C1 with a coating of ExoV2 on top to boot, the beeding is fantastic, and to top up the coating, the C2 is only a £5 a bottle.
On your to-do list you have missed out the polishing step either with a machine or by hand.
You have plenty of time, buy a DA and some pads and take that extra time to machine polish the car, you will be glad you did. Honestly, after claying a car, there will always be some surface marring, especially as Merc paint is so hard.
So you do not want to seal these marks in.
Make sure you wipe the car down x 2 with 100% Isopropanyl Alcohol before applying your sealant.
Yes the C1 can be difficult to apply, just make sure the temp is right when you do it, make sure you dont leave it too long before you buff off, and check each panel afterwards with a good light, if you have missed any, simply go back over with the product and re buff. Have a look at the web site video for advice.

Many thanks for all the replies and sound advice.
Most of the professional Gtechniq detailers talked about on here seem to be in the London/South East area, I live close to the Hampshire/Dorset border is there anyone recommended in this area?

Really grateful for the information you have all given.

Accredited detailers……………..

Exclusive Car Care
40 Hornchurch Rd
Bowerhill
Melksham
Wiltshire
SN12 6QE
t: 07903836203
e: [email protected]
W: Exclusive Car Care - The Professional Car Detailing Company

System Clenz Valeting and Detailing
Unit 7b Longton Industrial Estate
Winter Stoke Road
Weston Super Mare
BS23 3YB
t: 01934 414 915
w: System Clenz Valeting & Detailing Weston Super Mare |

Revolution Detailing
Unit 1 Brunel Court
Dean Road
Yates
Bristol
BS37 5PD
t: 07796 446111
w: Bristol Car Detailing and Valeting

First Choice Detailing
Jake Glass-Hooper
12 Wick Lane
Southbourne
Bournemouth
Dorset
BH6 4JU
t: 07595 691 892
w: First Choice Detailing - Bournemouth, Dorset

I was planning on using Exclusive Car Care for a new car detail on mine. A change of supplying dealer may put a spanner in the works but if not that is my intention

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom