Gud Edukashun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We are going to start looking in to our options for him, although I wouldn't know where to start if I'm being honest. :(

I'd love to send all three to a different school, it's just trying to work out what's best. Where I live, your choices with education are somewhat limited I'm afraid.

Maybe we should move, I really don't know....

If you can find the right school, the other two will get in using the sibling rule (in Bham at least).

Here's one for Mocas, what school names there years as such (instead of year 8, year nine etc): elements, rudiments, grammar, syntax, humanities, poetry and rhetoric?

Well, my brother's one (St Edmund's) did, for a start. :D

Seems there are several schools that do this (eg: Belvedere, Clongowes), although they don't always progress in the same order.

Well, my brother's one (St Edmund's) did, for a start. :D

Seems there are several schools that do this (eg: Belvedere, Clongowes), although they don't always progress in the same order.

Jesuit schools...me too. You mentioned it above.

Last edited:
Like most establishments the quality of the school will be a direct reflection on the leader, good headmasters do not run bad schools, equally good teachers will not allow ill discipline or lack of achievement in their lessons.
Unfortunately the state sector is not well blessed with either and this is reflected in the poor standards under all governments.
I believe the teaching establishment have decided they dont have the skills to develop numeracy and literacy so have pushed soft subjects that fail the pupils.

"there"? You're gooing to be made to suffer for that one on an educational thread.....:eek:

Speaking of which, there were several offenders on this thread before renault12ts (and you).

...but the simple fact is if you're parents can afford to send you to a private school...

I think of private education as something that one can either afford to utilise or not.

There are adults who have come through the system, who cannot string a coherent sentence together but that doesnt matter.

Some who wont progress beyond GCSE...

So the government can show that more children are making progress under their estute leadership.

Simply not good enough when the topic is educational standards.
Beta minus, class. Must try harder.

:D

A proportion of learning depends on the parental attitude, and their encouragement and participation, I suspect that the results in many state schools is affected more by parents (or lack off parental involvement including absentee fathers) than the effort of the teachers.

A proportion of learning depends on the parental attitude, and their encouragement and participation, I suspect that the results in many state schools is affected more by parents (or lack off parental involvement including absentee fathers) than the effort of the teachers.

I think it's more generally to do with the home environment, which will of course influenced by the above factors. That's why the traditional model involves taking schoolchildren out of the home environment and placing their teachers in loco parentis.

Going to a good school does not automatically make you a success in the real world.
There are countless examples of those who did very poorly at school and yet managed to achieve well in their working life.
My son is badly dyslexic and despite all the hollow promises of schools giving "special" treatment to disadvantaged pupils, he and many others were left to rot at the bottom of the pile. What school is going to throw a disproportionate amount of resources at a group of students who will probably do poorly anyway? There is no incentive for a school to do this.
He came out of school with NO grades at all. Not one.
And yet he now has a very good job and earns more than many of his friends who did "well" at school.
His motto is "if Richard Branston can do it, then so can I".

St Edmund being a Jesuit saint I thought it must be as Belvedere and Clongowes are (the schools you mentioned above).

St Edmund's Ware takes its name from St Edmund Rich, Archbishop of Canterbury in the late 12th century. Not St Edmund Campion, who indeed was a Jesuit, nor indeed St Edmund Arrowsmith, also a Jesuit, both judicially murdered. My parish priest for years in Kensington was Canon Adrian Arrowsmith, a distant relative of the saint.

The Pugin chapel at Ware is a glory of 19th century gothic.

St Edmund's Ware takes its name from St Edmund Rich, Archbishop of Canterbury in the late 12th century. Not St Edmund Campion, who indeed was a Jesuit, nor indeed St Edmund Arrowsmith, also a Jesuit, both judicially murdered. My parish priest for years in Kensington was Canon Adrian Arrowsmith, a distant relative of the saint.

The Pugin chapel at Ware is a glory of 19th century gothic.

Thanks CM. renault12ts's post had me off searching for references to St Edmund's being run by Jesuits, in case this detail had somehow passed me by.

Here in Brighton the tree-huggers, yoghurt-breeders and lentilists are well entrenched. Their ongoing attempt to democratise learning is to award school places by lottery, not by catchment area

This leads to the bizarre situation where a virulently anti-car council creates massive amounts of traffic when parents drive across Brighton twice a day to take their kids to school. One family drives 12 miles to school - and back - twice a day

Truly you couldn't make it up!

Nick Froome

Here in Brighton the tree-huggers, yoghurt-breeders and lentilists are well entrenched. Their ongoing attempt to democratise learning is to award school places by lottery, not by catchment area

This leads to the bizarre situation where a virulently anti-car council creates massive amounts of traffic when parents drive across Brighton twice a day to take their kids to school. One family drives 12 miles to school - and back - twice a day

Truly you couldn't make it up!

Nick Froome

There is nothing like a reasoned consideration of someone elses point of view, and that was nothing like it.

Abuse is always the last resort of the intellectually challenged.

Thanks CM. renault12ts's post had me off searching for references to St Edmund's being run by Jesuits, in case this detail had somehow passed me by.

And me.:):) Though the year designations lead me off at a tangent. My alma mater used those designations (you mentioned the name of that school above).

abuse is always the last resort of the intellectually challenged.

qed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom