Guess my new mod!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
Lets see if you can figure it out from the clues....

1) Its gonna come in handy on my drive to Croatia in a couple of weeks.

2) Its custom fabricated in stainless steel.

3) Its quick detachable

Anyone with me so far?

An Anti Tank Missile launcher?.....on your new roof bars?

A shot in the dark

Joe

Nope...not even close

4) its an interior mod

PS. Dave, Why would I need to blank off my retractable badge???

OK, first is a picture of the Laptop mount from the underside. You can see that I have used the two existing screws that attach the wood trim on the front of the stand, whilst the back is just rested on the lip of the dash with the aid of some velcro. This was the only way I could figure a secure mount (which it is) without having to drill any holes anywhere.

The whole assembly can be removed from the car in a couple of minutes just by undoing the two screws holding the bottom mounts.
image001.jpg

As you can see below, nice big screen & easily accessable controls for both driver and passenger. Now I have Sat-Nav, (with voice) DVD, & MP3 capability etc etc. I can even browse MBclub whilst stuck in traffic :D :D Snug fit tho innit?? :)

image003.jpg

The next logical step would be to find some diagnostic software so as to be able to interrogate the engine on the fly so to speak. Anyone know where I can get my hands on this?

Last edited:
excellent idea - nice job ! nice & shiney too :D

( For all those trying to obtain the OEM look ..... DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME !! )

Originally posted by Sp!ke

The next logical step would be to find some diagnostic software so as to be able to interrogate the engine on the fly so to speak. Anyone know where I can get my hands on this?

Too fast too furious!

Originally posted by Sp!ke

There's Carsoft but that's close to £1k and it covers the entire MB range of vehicles from the late '80s up. They always said that they were thinking of releasing private owner, model specific versions for around £300 but I don't think they ever have. Still... much cheaper than an authorised Star diagnostic system from Mercedes themselves.

BTW, very neat install there Spike :rock: :bannana:

S.

Spike,

How do you power that laptop on the move? it's own battery, cigarette lighter socket or 12/240 volt converter???

I'm thinking of doing the same in a minibus.

Thanks.

Hi Sp!ke,
That is a very nice job, and you must be very pleased with the result.

Now I certainly do NOT want to be a kill joy, BUT.........

Have you checked to make sure your modification is legal. I am perhaps thinking of problems on your European jaunt. Some countries Police Officers might confiscate first and not take no for an answer?

I realise we have COMAND that is capable of showing DVD's, but they are designed to not show films when the vehicle is in motion. (No one has ever modified them to work whilst the car is moving guv!)

I am NOT saying it IS illegal, I am merely not being one of those horrible smart alec's that has a degree with honours in Hind sight.

It is still a great job which you must be please with.

Fingers crossed that it is legal :)

Good luck,
John the Kill Joy

Hi John,

Just to say that this was back in 2003! ;)

I remember Sp!ke going there and back - don't think he had any problems!

Will :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom