Guess what ive bought?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
First 138 miles used up 40 litres!

15.5MPG!!! Must try harder eh...

I'm sure I get better than that in the 60 :eek: .....could be wrong though.....I just sort of guestimate.....and if the arithmetic feels scary I just add a bit...or subtract a bit...or whatever!! :eek:

I like to think I get an overall 20....but I haven't really got a clue...probably better that way :D

Last edited:
Does your SL60 have the comedy fuel consumption gauge (swinging needle)?

Does your SL60 have the comedy fuel consumption gauge (swinging needle)?

You mean the needle that's permanently stuck over on the right hand side? :devil:

Thankfully, 500e's never came with the economy gauge !

However, a calibrated vacuum gauge can be a very useful guide to the health and tuning of the engine.

Jay - i find the 500E's very thirsty in town but very economical on the M-way....circa 14 mpg in town and 21mpg on the pure highway run.

But since you're new to the pleasures that the w124 500E enriches, i can imagine your right foot is gettnig far more flex than it ever did !

:bannana:

cheers
talbir

Also 500E's won't give the same economy as a 500SL or S500.

Both may appear to have the same M119 engines, but not strictly true.

The intake valves on the M119 in the 500E were modified to raise torque....whilst all the 5.0 M119's give 326bhp (except post May 93's which give 321 bhp due to the change in the LH module) the 500E engine's produce 354 lb ft torque, compared to the r129 and w140 M119 5.0 engines, which produce only 332 lb ft torque.

the 500E's also have a modified gearbox with reinforced clutch packs and a unqiue valve body to give uprated performance.

And finally, the S and S500's (and the w126 560SEC) have a 2.65 final drive ratio, whereas the 500E is fitted with a 2.82 shorter ratio diff for extra fast take-offs. That alone would reduce fuel efficiency even before the engine/geabox changes are accounted for.

So a 500E whilst on the face of it may have the same drivetrain as an SL or 500, actually has differences in the engine and gearbox and differential !

A 500E also weighs as much as a 560 SEC, give or take 50 kilos depending on option list !

So fuel economy should be less than an SL500 or S500 or 560 SEC !

talbir

I was commenting the fuel economy compared to an SL60.......

not a problem for a man with his own on site petrol station!

Not true anymore, we have sold (leased) it now so I pay full whack!

Doesnt matter as I dont do many miles at all.

The SL60 also has a longer final drive ratio, 2.65 which helps materially with economy (and gives higher top speed).

On the filp side, the SL60 has high lift cams which would reduce fuel efficincy slightly...but other than that the SL60 has nothing special to drive up fuel costs - simply put the 6.0 M119 is merely a big bore (100mm) M119 with a crankshaft from a 5.6 M117 engine.

Hence the output is only an additional 60-70 bhp over the stock 5.0 M119.

talbir

Doesnt matter as I dont do many miles at all.

Errr....did you factor in the ownership of the E before you made that statement....:rock:

I always found myself making a reason to drive and taking the longest route possible when driving the E's !

Mind you, i only get to drive on the weekends.....trains into the City the rest of the time !!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

talbir

Tell me about it... I havent managed to use any other car since you brought it over...

Only problem is, when I do go to get in any other car, I end up sitting in the passenger side.

Jay,

It was good to see your car on Edgeware Rd this evening. The first other 500E I've seen apart from mine. I flashed you, not sure if you saw me...

Made me feel a little bit less special :(

Ahh i knew i recognised the car... its the number plate that ive seen.... my wife noticed that it was a 500E before i did... spooky as she knows nothing about cars!

We were en route to Beirut Express... always stop off after a night out..

OK just seen your earlier post. I've never seen so many options!

Well done Jay! :rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom