Guess what life changing event happened to me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Limited Edition

Car
1993 190E (3)
My daughter was born! :bannana:

Katherine Elizabeth (Elise) was born April 26, 2003. She was 6 pounds and 2 oz and 19.25 inches long. Her birth was somewhat traumatic as she was stuck in the birth canal and her heart rate dropped very low and would not rise after my wife's contractions. When she was finally extracted with forceps, she would not start breathing. The doctors had to resuscitate her and she had to stay in the nursery under an oxygen tent for a day and a half. On a positive note, she has no lasting effects from her hypoxia at birth (i.e. cerebral palsy, etc.). However, she was also born with a mild form of spina bifida and a tethered spinal cord. We were unaware of her birth defects until her birth because they did not show up on the ultrasound. The neurosurgeon that took her case said that she would have to have surgery between 6 and 9 months of age.

On Jan. 9, 2004, Elise had the surgery to release her tethered spinal cord and repair her spina bifida. The spina bifida although mild still needed surgical repair. The SB was in the form of a skin tag that was in actuality a dermal tract leading and connecting to her spinal cord. The surgery went very well. The surgeon was able to release her spinal cord and repair the SB successfully. Elise spent one night in the PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit) Then she stayed on the regular floor of the hospital for a few more days. Thankfully, my wife and I were able to stay at the children's hospital with Elise. She is recovering very well from her surgery experience and is now finally getting back to her normal routine and activity level. The surgeon believes that Elise has a very good chance of being a typical little girl and having a normal life. The chance of her spinal cord re-tethering is only slightly more than 1%!

We are so thankful to have Elise home again. We feel so blessed to have found such a wonderful doctor and fantastic hospital to care for our baby girl. It is experiences like this that renew my faith in humanity. This ended up being a long post but I felt I had to share our experience.

Regards,

Don

Last edited:
Reactions: sym
She is adorable - glad she came through it all OK - fingers x'd all is well for her future:)

I too would wish to offer my congratulations and I trust that you are all well and will thrive. :bannana: :bannana:

congratulations mate, glad everythings worked out well

Don,

Having a young one myself who had birth and hip problems it certainly can be a very stressful and worrying time. Having gone through the resultant tests, scans, braces, tests, scans, etc, etc, everything worked out fine.

It's at moments like this that you realise how lucky we all are that we have such good medical knowledge and facilities available to us today.

Also makes us realise how special our kids are.

So Don - congrats and God bless your family.

And for the rest of us - look after our littles ones - they're precious*

K

* except when they're 18 years old, and take your car keys one saturday night when you're out and you come back to discover that the wholoe side of the car is scratched and dented to pieces.

Good to see you back on the Forum, Don . . . & glad everything is going OK.

Great pictures :D

S.

Limited Edition said:
My daughter was born! :bannana:

Katherine Elizabeth (Elise) was born April 26, 2003. She was 6 pounds and 2 oz and 19.25 inches long. Her birth was somewhat traumatic as she was stuck in the birth canal and her heart rate dropped very low and would not rise after my wife's contractions. When she was finally extracted with forceps, she would not start breathing. The doctors had to resuscitate her and she had to stay in the nursery under an oxygen tent for a day and a half. On a positive note, she has no lasting effects from her hypoxia at birth (i.e. cerebral palsy, etc.). However, she was also born with a mild form of spina bifida and a tethered spinal cord. We were unaware of her birth defects until her birth because they did not show up on the ultrasound. The neurosurgeon that took her case said that she would have to have surgery between 6 and 9 months of age.

On Jan. 9, 2004, Elise had the surgery to release her tethered spinal cord and repair her spina bifida. The spina bifida although mild still needed surgical repair. The SB was in the form of a skin tag that was in actuality a dermal tract leading and connecting to her spinal cord. The surgery went very well. The surgeon was able to release her spinal cord and repair the SB successfully. Elise spent one night in the PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit) Then she stayed on the regular floor of the hospital for a few more days. Thankfully, my wife and I were able to stay at the children's hospital with Elise. She is recovering very well from her surgery experience and is now finally getting back to her normal routine and activity level. The surgeon believes that Elise has a very good chance of being a typical little girl and having a normal life. The chance of her spinal cord re-tethering is only slightly more than 1%!

Here is a link to a picture of Elise's stitches (This may be disturbing)

We are so thankful to have Elise home again. We feel so blessed to have found such a wonderful doctor and fantastic hospital to care for our baby girl. It is experiences like this that renew my faith in humanity. This ended up being a long post but I felt I had to share our experience.

Here is a link to a website that my wife made up for her. Please feel free to visit the Photo Gallery and sign the Guestbook. :)

No disturbing pics here - Just cute ones!

Regards,

Don

well what more can i say but i am very glad all is well and congrats

cheers

kenny

Gorgeuous Baby. Congratulatuons Guy!

Hope mother and baby are doing fine....nice pics.

It certainly is a life changing event - she's very cute.

All the best and enjoy !

Elise is doing great! She's crawling around like the surgery didn't even phase her. :)

Here's an updated picture:

Elise%202-1-03%20small%202.jpg

I have been busy with life and have not had time to post in a while but I wanted to update this thread.

Life is good and Elise is growing up fast! I can't beleive she's already 16 months old :eek:

Here is a picture of her at the Atlantic Ocean
Elise%20July%20hand%20in%20water.jpg

Here is another one
Elise%20May%20small%20bow.jpg

I never realized what a huge impact being a father would have on my life. I have a new found respect for all parents as well as my own.

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Regards,

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom