Guides / How To Carry out work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

superhandsjeff

Hi All.
If this is in the 'wrong' section on our forum,I do apologise, and please move it accordingly.

To my point. On this forum in the How to Section, there are only 3 pages. and 64 threads. Which doesnt seem a lot.

I was just wondering is there a section that I cannot see on this site, where, when we (the users) carry out jobs on our beloved Mercedes, work on them, and post pictures and step-by-step instructions on the work we have completed.

Basically i would find this useful, and am sure other forum users would too.
My area of 'expertise' is not engine or mechanics, more likely electrics and sound.

I have been a member of a Jaguar Forum for years now, met some great friends, and we have all over the years shared experience and our knowledge of our cars and the work we carried out on them.

For example. On the Jaguar 2.0 / X-Type Diesel, 2002 onwards to 2005 they were notorious for Manifold issues.

I took off the manifold and cleaned it

I made a step by step guide with pictures, and what cleaning products i used ( breake cleaner / wire brush etc ) for the other users of the Jaguar forum to see. ( some made fun of my cleanliness , others moaned i wasnt doing it properly), but most importantly the users who hadnt cleaned a Manifold before could see the procedure and process, with words/guides/ and pictures.

many other users did the same thing too with other jobs.

It was most beneficial and useful. It also would save new users from asking the same questions over and over again, it saves the forum from 'cloggin' up, and if put in the correct place the forum was actually a neater place.

I can see we have the facility here to post pictures etc...

If we dont have a step by step guide on our forum, i think it would be great to see what other users jobs they have carried out, along with guides and pictures.

does anyone know if there is a section on our forum where we post pics and guides and step by step instructions on jobs we may want to carry out or indeed have carried out.

I have now sold the Jaguar, and gone back to my love, C Class.
I have owned one before in 2007 to 2009. I loved her dearly. And look forward to the hopefully many happy hours on this forum...

and hello to those who i havnt said hi to before...

Jeff

Hi Jeff, my last car was also an Jag X type diesel (2004) and found it interesting about the maifold issues, as I found mine didn`t put a foot wrong in my ownership and remember it as one of the most reliable cars I`ve ever owned (out of 27 others)
Yes I am pleased with my CLK 2.7 diesel and intend to keep it a long time but have spent about £1,200 on it in 6 months but that does include a service.

Hello Jeff, there are loads in answer to your question. But there are equally as many different models with guides. So some are lone threads in relevant sections .
There is also this main 'how to' section with some excellent guides, a notable one is Ollies Guide on replacing the gearbox oil on the C class. Used it myself ;) http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/howto/

Best just to have a look back and various searches. I'm sure they're here for what ever you need to do. And of course you can post your own :)

thanks very much, i hope that the owners here post there guides and pics of jobs we can do, saving us all money and making the average car fixer into a great mechanic.
i will look for the posts and await pictures :)

Hi Jeff, my last car was also an Jag X type diesel (2004) and found it interesting about the maifold issues, as I found mine didn`t put a foot wrong in my ownership and remember it as one of the most reliable cars I`ve ever owned (out of 27 others)
Yes I am pleased with my CLK 2.7 diesel and intend to keep it a long time but have spent about £1,200 on it in 6 months but that does include a service.
the jaguar x type i found amazingly reliable, and glad to have read a happy story about your ownership,

i realise that Mercedes service at the main dealers can be HUGE, and some independents are charging terrible fees. Hence why we can share our experience here, and learn from each other.
on the jaguar forum i have read so many happy articles about men who were once novice mechanics, carrying out all sorts of jobs that were once out of there reach..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom