Guitars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Played alone the 714 is a lovely sounding guitar. Its only by playing it beside the 814 will you perceive the difference.:thumb:

It very nearly was the 714, which, itself, was more than the original £1500 budget, however, as you say, played back to back, it had to be the 814.

As a CE, it's the Grand Auditorium body, which is more full bodied than his Crafter, which also helped.

Excellent! I love the way he just dismissed a £2k guitar as no better than his Crafter :) Then again, it perfectly illustrates the point made by many of us, 'don't be swayed by the name on the headstock.'

He'd been spoilt by the 714 by the time he got to the Gibson - though I must say, it was better.

Cool.

It's also worth remembering that this will also "play in" over time too. Hope he continues to enjoy it for many years.

Thank you - we hope he stays with his guitar and drums (a lot longer than I did with my piano - much to my regret in later years).

Last edited:
What a great way to spend the day! :)

It was fab to see him loving it :thumb:.

We know it's an extravagance at 17, but he won't be taking driving lessons or looking for a car from us, so it's all the same really.

Love him.

We know it's an extravagance at 17, but he won't be taking driving lessons or looking for a car from us, so it's all the same really.

Not really - give it 20 years and it'll recoup it's money. The classical my parents bought me 29 years ago is worth twice what they paid for it. Not that it'll ever be sold - that, the Schecter they bought for my 21st and my first Strat will probably be buried with me.

No price on pleasure - his and yours.

Nice acoustic is far preferable to Drums!!! My No 1 son turned to drums at 13 - noisy and take up a lot more room. That said, he's made a good living so far and standing on stage watching him play to 100000 crowd sure brought a tear to my eye. Shame it was in Asia and not UK... lol. Maybe he'll buy me a Korean Copy MB....

Nice acoustic is far preferable to Drums!!! My No 1 son turned to drums at 13 - noisy and take up a lot more room. That said, he's made a good living so far and standing on stage watching him play to 100000 crowd sure brought a tear to my eye. Shame it was in Asia and not UK... lol. Maybe he'll buy me a Korean Copy MB....

100,000 - fabulous - is there anything finer than watching your kids do good? :thumb:

Just back from sunshine in SA - to answer your question - only thing finer is being confident they ain't done bad!!

Agreed :thumb:.

A quick update for the guitar nuts

My lad's been playing his guitar for nearly three weeks now and it's just fabulous.

Dare I say it's getting better and better even after such a short time :dk:.

Everyone who hears it comments on the clarity and even allowing for the usual affirmative (biased) family comments, it's been very well received.

The acid test was when he played the Crafter back to back with it - the difference is marked, even to my untrained (guitar) ear.

On the positive side he just loves it :thumb:.

On the negative side, his Dad is paranoid about him banging it against something :eek:.

I need to let him get on with it and up my intake of chill pills.

Think how the owners of Stradvarii must feel when their investment is being used to actually make music ;)

Think how the owners of Stradvarii must feel when their investment is being used to actually make music ;)

You saying that - I guess we should insure it really :dk:.

Insuring it is not a bad idea, especially if he's going to gig with it. There are unscrupulous types about.........
It will get knocked as well, the first one is always the worst ;)

It was more a gentle guess at the paranoia factor that must be felt by Strad owners when their investment is taken out of its climate controlled safe and actually used as the maker intended, as one would be around four to five thousand times the cost of the Taylor :eek:

Definitely insure it, and make sure it's covered for gigging. I assume a Taylor would come with a case good enough for gigging? if not, thats a must.

A guitar like that should last a lifetime if looked after.

If he's playing live using the pickup, it's worth getting a soundhole cover to prevent horrific feedback and mic bleed.

With a guitar like that I'd try it mic'd as well vs the pickup and see which sounds/feels better. There can be a huge difference.

I wish my dad had bought me something that cool when I was his age!

Definitely insure it, and make sure it's covered for gigging. I assume a Taylor would come with a case good enough for gigging? if not, thats a must.

A guitar like that should last a lifetime if looked after.

If he's playing live using the pickup, it's worth getting a soundhole cover to prevent horrific feedback and mic bleed.

With a guitar like that I'd try it mic'd as well vs the pickup and see which sounds/feels better. There can be a huge difference.

I wish my dad had bought me something that cool when I was his age!

Thanks for the advice - I've never heard of a soundhole cover :dk:.

It does have a Taylor hardcase - it weighs a ton.

Ah - I've always fancied a 12-string. Let me know if you decide to sell.

Well I may indeed be selling.

It is an Ovation 1866 Legend 40th anniversary US made limited edition.
Complete with proper hardcase.

It has just been checked out be a Luthier and is described as perfect factory condition. There are two very small blemishes (like plectrum marks) on the sound board. I suspect that they will polish out. Everything else is as you would expect of this type of guitar. The action has never been adjusted. Ovation rather thoughtfully put shims under the bridge which can be removed to bring the strings closer. Most people don't as with twelve string picking at the top of the neck is unusual.

I can provide photos on request (PM me your email) and would prefer you to actually see and play the guitar before making any decisions.

I believe it to be straight and true as does a Luthier. However guitars are very much a personal choice/feel and opinion. A bit like women. My beer goggles may be better focused than yours.

No silly offers please. If you are interested you will have an idea of the value. If you are struggling with that then beaten up (but perfectly good ones fetch between £700 > £900. This is NOT beaten up and is nice looking.

Well I may indeed be selling.

It is an Ovation 1866 Legend 40th anniversary US made limited edition.
Complete with proper hardcase.

It has just been checked out be a Luthier and is described as perfect factory condition. There are two very small blemishes (like plectrum marks) on the sound board. I suspect that they will polish out. Everything else is as you would expect of this type of guitar. The action has never been adjusted. Ovation rather thoughtfully put shims under the bridge which can be removed to bring the strings closer. Most people don't as with twelve string picking at the top of the neck is unusual.

I can provide photos on request (PM me your email) and would prefer you to actually see and play the guitar before making any decisions.

I believe it to be straight and true as does a Luthier. However guitars are very much a personal choice/feel and opinion. A bit like women. My beer goggles may be better focused than yours.

No silly offers please. If you are interested you will have an idea of the value. If you are struggling with that then beaten up (but perfectly good ones fetch between £700 > £900. This is NOT beaten up and is nice looking.

Thanks for letting me know. Unfortunately Mrs E has decided that the £35 I spent on a webcam for my scope this week has blown my budget for the year (as well as ruining any chances of good clearskies for the next 6 months!) - something about new shoes, decorating the bathroom, sorting out a holiday and not fiddling with "another" new toy were mentioned in passing.

Hopefully you'll get a good price for it - if I end up getting a couple of good gigs I might ping you and see if it's still around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom