Gullwing wrecked by mechanic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This illustrates why repair costs will be astronomical!!!!!!!!!
[YOUTUBE]IMafgF_01hQ&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

I like the way he carelessly pulls the dust cover off, twanging the wiper arm as he does so!

As I say below, "the devil is in the detail".

You can only imagine the Phone Call between the Garage and the Owner .

Must have been a tough call to make

Not really. The owner is probably a businessman so used to difficult situations and this car will be a toy, and will be repaired probably better than it was before.

Everytime I read about an incident like this, its always some young mechanic thats caused it.. everytime.

Not really. The owner is probably a businessman so used to difficult situations and this car will be a toy, and will be repaired probably better than it was before.

Hmmm, I'm a businessman as well, and always dread the phone call I have to make telling someone their house sale has fallen through.

mechanic should be shot!
I bet he's ashamed now facing his fellow co-workers at work if he hasn't been fired by his boss.

As I said elsewhere these cars have swing rear axles which make then inherently unstable on "throttle lift off" when cornering. The rear wheels go "positive camber" and can even tuck under the car completely. Its the same suspension as found in the Triumph Herald, Vitesse, Spitfire, Chevrolet Corvair etc Its particularly unforgiving one second cornering next second accident--- there is no transition or warning. So no I don't blame the driver- I doubt there's anyone who could have recovered that car--- it killed/injured several very skilled racing drivers in its day. Who I blame is anyone who knew the handling characteristics of the car and perhaps didn't warn the driver enough .

It should be said the 300sl is indeed a Mercedes icon for many reasons but its original rear suspension design is flawed and dangerous for the driver in experienced in its characteristics.

Last edited:
Everytime I read about an incident like this, its always some young mechanic thats caused it.. everytime.

I think many were guilty of driving like a nob, whatever percentage of the time, when we were younger.

Difference was, for me at least, I did it in my own cars which I paid for entirely by myself.

I never drive someone else's property with disrespect - I treat them better than my own which includes hire cars - including when I was younger!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom