Gumball 3000 - Fatal Crash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To do a runner........ They must have been drinking?????

More like running to get a solicitor :devil: :D

I'm amazed at the last paragraph

The police spokesman said the offences carry a maximum one-year prison sentence.

I understand the occupants were arrested, charged with leaving the scene of an accident hence the 12 month sentence, but now the occupant has died, they have been re-arrested. This is a 'Yuppy' event which encourages racing on the highway. I just hope they never come to our 20mph country lane :)

John

Last edited:
Very sad that someone has been killed during this event.

But it has been a accident waiting to happen it was only a matter of time before this happened during the Gumball.

I took part in the now infamous 2004 Gumball Rally, infamous for the reason in two days in Morroco seven cars and one motorbike were totalled, luckily during this event no one was killed.

I decide after 2004 not to participate in anymore events like this, being just illegal road races.

The Gumball organisers need to rethink these events, which are called a "Rally" but are "Races". they put huge pressure on man and machine to cover geat distances in a few hours. On one of the legs we were given just under five hours to cover 600 miles.

I think this could finish the Gumball Rally.

Leaving the scene of an accident and not helping those in distress is most definitely not cricket and those two British guys should be ashamed from themselves and I hope justice is served.

It would be a shame if this did kill off the Gumball though. Whilst I'm sure there are almost certainly w*****s on the Gumball, surely in the main its a fun group of well heeled petrol heads having a laugh?

Leaving the scene of an accident and not helping those in distress is most definitely not cricket and those two British guys should be ashamed from themselves and I hope justice is served.

It would be a shame if this did kill off the Gumball though. Whilst I'm sure there are almost certainly w*****s on the Gumball, surely in the main its a fun group of well heeled petrol heads having a laugh?
As someone that enjoys looking at the cars that participate in these events half of me agrees with you, but Mr Sensible thinks it's crazy to have time based limitations for driving on public roads. Why not change this event to having special stages around closed venues, perhaps race circuits or other suitable locations suitable for these powerful cars?

John

A terrible shame, and as others have said it was only a matter of time.

Accidents do happen, and in a best case scenario the driver was being sensible - not racing - and the unavoidable presented itself. In a worst case scenario, who knows what what led up to it? Either way, leaving the scene was not a wise move.

As someone that enjoys looking at the cars that participate in these events half of me agrees with you, but Mr Sensible thinks it's crazy to have time based limitations for driving on public roads. Why not change this event to having special stages around closed venues, perhaps race circuits or other suitable locations suitable for these powerful cars?
As usual John - you make a lot of sense. A great idea.

I've fancied doing something like the Gumball - not that I would race, but just for the experience. I'm not very sociable though, and would probably sit in the corner being all shy!!

John

You are definitely right john. I think they did that in 2005 at the hungaroring . I hope max cooper takes note.
They claim its not a race but some nutter in 2003 did about 190+ in his
911GT2 with a union jack in america. and remember the dodge viper/ ferrari vs tractor/LOONY cosworth in 2004
.Most of them are careful though and are out to have nice fun.
E.g icecream van and the 2CV

I took part in the now infamous 2004 Gumball Rally, infamous for the reason in two days in Morroco seven cars and one motorbike were totalled, luckily during this event no one was killed.
Hi Wobbly,
Out of curiosity would I need to inform the insurance company if I took part in one of these events and if not has anyone any idea of the insurance companies responsibilities?

John

I've fancied doing something like the Gumball - not that I would race, but just for the experience. I'm not very sociable though, and would probably sit in the corner being all shy!!

This what forum GTGs storming accross Germany for a few days are for :D

Just need an excuse for somewhere to vist ;)

Hi Wobbly,
Out of curiosity would I need to inform the insurance company if I took part in one of these events and if not has anyone any idea of the insurance companies responsibilities?

John

Most insurance policies specifically exclude rallies, races and social events from their cover... So, yes, you would probably need to not only check with your insurance company; but also probably take out specific insurance.

That said; I have a feeling the organisers will have some form of insurance they provide... to cover their backs if something happens...

Hi Wobbly,

John

I was fortunate, to be lent a car, the insurance was cover by the company that owned it, but we took out extra insurance which was organised through the Gumball organisers, it wasnt cheap, but I think was worth paying it.

A bit OT here but pertinent.

It happens all the time...It's all about morals.

My journey to work this morning was torturous due to the main A50 road being closed outside my office.

A 20 year old girl was run down at 3:15am last night on a one way 4 lane road just out side the office, she was left critically injured and the driver drove off.

The police have had the road closed for 9 hours whilst investigating. Maybe the driver thought the 30mph limit didn't apply at that time...

The only good thing is they made 5 arrests later on.

Not sure but I think two cars are involved judging by all the skid marks...not pretty...

Hopefully she pulls through Ok but it must have been a big impact judging by the length of skid and slide marks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom