Gummi Pflege on rubber trims/seals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTank88

Car
14' C63 Diamond White Coupe
s-l300.jpg
Used this to treat my rubber seals recently just for protection. Door, roof seals, etc. It looked fine when it was applied but now that it has dried, it has dried to an almost chalky or waxy appearance. It doesn't rub off or anything and I assume it's doing it's job, just looks a bit janky.

Anybody used Gummi Pflege before or similar product that has worked for you?

Yes I've used it on all my vehicles including my e93 M3 and the c63 never had it go chalky or anything it doesn't look like that though🤔

View attachment 122494
Used this to treat my rubber seals recently just for protection. Door, roof seals, etc. It looked fine when it was applied but now that it has dried, it has dried to an almost chalky or waxy appearance. It doesn't rub off or anything and I assume it's doing it's job, just looks a bit janky.

I got some of the Sonax version for Christmas but haven't tried it yet, so interested to see if mine goes waxy. Will report back...

Best place to buy Gummipflege is Micks Garage on Ebay, look for a listing for 2 tubes as that makes it considerably cheaper per tube! It's not the same tube as shown in the OP's post though - but like others I've used it for years without problem and certainly without the problem the OP describes!

View attachment 122494

I always us Krytox and find it works well and lasts long but more expensive than others. You will find some references to it here if you search.

I think the stuff the OP has used isn't Gummipflege must be a cheap copy Gummi fit
Yeah I'm wondering if this may be the case.

Edit: just read some reviews on it though Wurths seems to be a legit brand and people have given positive reviews of it.

Maybe it needs another coat I dunno I'll try it again if not I'll try one of the recommendations on here next.

View attachment 122494

Try spraying some on again and quickly wiping with a cloth ?

Yes I've used it on all my vehicles including my e93 M3 and the c63 never had it go chalky or anything it doesn't look like that though🤔
Likewise, back in my BMW days (sorry) I used the branded BMW stuff on my E91 without a problem.

I've used the nextzett one and it's great. I was actually looking to purchase the würth one next, as we have a trade account with the outlet in Croydon. They're an excellent german brand with very high standards, so I'm surprised to hear that it hasn't worked as expected. Was it being stored in sub zero temperatures?

I got some of the Sonax version for Christmas but haven't tried it yet, so interested to see if mine goes waxy. Will report back...
I have some of the Sonax version which I haven’t used yet. I’ll wait for you to go first.

When I first investigated seal treatment (about 9 years ago when I bought the 968 cab) the main info was re BMW and the problems owners of a certain breed of BMW (IIRC Eos) had with leaks - and of course BMW said the cure was to use their branded product (Krytox, at about £40 per small bottle) twice a year. Others soon posted that Gummipflege did the same job a hell of a lot more cheaply, so that's what I tried on the cab - and continue to use to this day on both cars despite having sold the 968 cab over 2 years ago!!

I've used the nextzett one and it's great. I was actually looking to purchase the würth one next, as we have a trade account with the outlet in Croydon. They're an excellent german brand with very high standards, so I'm surprised to hear that it hasn't worked as expected. Was it being stored in sub zero temperatures?
It's been in cold but not sub zero.

I will take some pictures when I can and post them here so that we see what I mean.

It's been in cold but not sub zero.

I will take some pictures when I can and post them here so that we see what I mean.
A number of detailing products a sensitive to cold temperatures i.e. below 5degC, so perhaps this might have something to do with it... is it a shoe polish type sponge applicator with a nipple in the middle, as with the nextzett?

I've used Gummi Pflege on my cars for years, and with a convertible the seals are important !
As Chrishazle does, I also get mine from Micks Garage, and as it works so well I've not really considered anything else.

A number of detailing products a sensitive to cold temperatures i.e. below 5degC, so perhaps this might have something to do with it... is it a shoe polish type sponge applicator with a nipple in the middle, as with the nextzett?
Yes, sounds like exactly that type of applicator.

It's a circular sponge with a needle in the middle which soaks the sponge.

20220107_091241.jpg

You can see here how it looks like. A chalky type finish which does match the outer door seals where I haven't applied it.

The applied parts almost feel dry and slightly harder compared to the outer door seals where I haven't applied it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom