Gummi Pflege on rubber trims/seals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
View attachment 122494
Used this to treat my rubber seals recently just for protection. Door, roof seals, etc. It looked fine when it was applied but now that it has dried, it has dried to an almost chalky or waxy appearance. It doesn't rub off or anything and I assume it's doing it's job, just looks a bit janky.

Anybody used Gummi Pflege before or similar product that has worked for you?

I stopped using GP a few years ago for that very reason. Purchase some Krytox GP105 from MB or direct from 'GBR Tech' (watch out for cheap fakes on ebay) as @Chrishazle mentioned it is expensive at about £40 for a small bottle - but it will last you forever as the tiniest amount goes a long way. It is what MB uses and so far after about 3 years, it is still good after my original application. Having used both I can state that It actually works better than GP & doesn’t collect dirt. I’ve also used it on my automatic garage doors where teh rubber seals were grabbing and it solved the problem

Below is some of the feedback I got from the importers of Krytox (GBR Tech) - worth a quick read and will probably convert you to Krytox.

Hi Rory,

Just picking up on your communications with Emma – appreciate you feeding back to us.
Whilst intended for similar application to Krytox GPL105, Gummi Pflege is a different chemical type.
Krytox is a synthetic fully fluorinated oil – not derived from petroleum. Think of it as a liquid form of PTFE.

I understand Gummi Pflege to be a water-based product – an emulsion type which contains silicone and other additives, which may provide the lubrication to seals.

Krytox is effectively a 100% active oil, Gummi Pflege will be significantly less than 100% active – the water present in the formulation only acting as a sacrificial carrier to leave behind the active components.

In terms of service life – it is unrealistic for any such topically applied product to claim to be ‘permanent’ as it will be affected by environmental factors.

The most significant in the context of a folding-roof mechanism is that the lube-film life will be dependent on how many times the roof is opened and closed during a typical spring/summer season (forgotten what that is like!!!).

To put some data to this – historically, the manufacturers of Krytox flame-tested pieces of treated weatherstripping/roof/door seal elastomer and ‘fingerprinted’ the levels of fluorine over a duty cycle of several million movements over the course of 4 years – and measured comparable levels to the start-point.

This is a consequence of how low the volatility/evaporation rates are for Krytox, and an indication of what is possible in terms of ‘life’.

Krytox also has an incredibly low coefficient of static friction – this is why it is so effective at eliminating stick-slip – the phenomenon which gives rise to seal squeaks and creaks.

Krytox is also approved and recommended by most of the major Automotive OEMs for NVH issues, including Daimler Benz – most sell the same product under their own part number as a service item, typically at prices higher than we can supply on behalf of the manufacturer.

Specifically for MB SLK – I had some contact with Jeremy Stevens some years ago - he came onto us as an MB SLK owner, and subsequent Krytox customer.

Unbeknown to us at the time, turns out he was the Technical Director for the Mercedes Benz Gazette – MB owners club journal – and went on to publish an editorial regarding Krytox which was not initiated or sponsored by us or the manufacturer.

I attach a copy of the entry for information.

From a practical perspective, I have used it on several of my own vehicles with dramatic results.

I had a BMW E36 cabrio which creaked horrifically when I acquired it, Krytox silenced this – car was transformed.

My current daily driver is a 2012 Seat Ibiza – and when purchased at 6 months old, the two-piece drivers door grab handle creaked equally horrifically every time I gripped it to close the door.

I popped the handle apart and applied a thin film of Krytox GPL105 to the mating surfaces, reassembled – and today, after nearly 7 years of regular use, there is no noise from that same door handle..

My current indulgence is a 2016 M135i which I’ve had for a year – seals were bone dry when I bought it and there was some creaking (exaggerated by the admittedly by the stiff chassis..) – eradicated by thin film of Krytox.

Apart from seal creaks – Krytox also sheds water, and prevents door glass and seals from freezing in winter, reducing risk of damage when doors are opened.

This is particularly relevant to cars where door-glass indexes down as the door handle is operated in order to clear roof fabric when opened.

You will achieve several complete treatments of the roof/door seals from a single applicator bottle – a little goes a long way.

You’ll also find it to be brilliant for treating any other cockpit creaks – leather seat bolsters, seat-console interface, fascia noise etc etc.

It has indefinite shelf life, so will sit on a garage shelf very happily.

All in all, a genuine wonder product – and for less than half the price of a tank of fuel for the SL which may only last a couple of hours!

Apologies for the rambling, Rory – but being a frustrated Chemist (!) - having cut my teeth at Castrol many years ago, I am such an enthusiast for Krytox – as you can probably tell.

Hope this helps – let me know if you need any more input.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can see here how it looks like. A chalky type finish which does match the outer door seals where I haven't applied it.

The applied parts almost feel dry and slightly harder compared to the outer door seals where I haven't applied it.
I used olive oil on some "bloomed" rubber seals and it took away the chalky look. I then wiped off the excess and treated with gummi pflege

I stopped using GP a few years ago for that very reason. Purchase some Krytox GP105 from MB or direct from 'GBR Tech' (watch out for cheap fakes on ebay) as @Chrishazle mentioned it is expensive at about £40 for a small bottle - but it will last you forever as the tiniest amount goes a long way. It is what MB uses and so far after about 3 years, it is still good after my original application. Having used both I can state that It actually works better than GP & doesn’t collect dirt. I’ve also used it on my automatic garage doors where teh rubber seals were grabbing and it solved the problem

Below is some of the feedback I got from the importers of Krytox (GBR Tech) - worth a quick read and will probably convert you to Krytox.

Hi Rory,

Just picking up on your communications with Emma – appreciate you feeding back to us.
Whilst intended for similar application to Krytox GPL105, Gummi Pflege is a different chemical type.
Krytox is a synthetic fully fluorinated oil – not derived from petroleum. Think of it as a liquid form of PTFE.

I understand Gummi Pflege to be a water-based product – an emulsion type which contains silicone and other additives, which may provide the lubrication to seals.

Krytox is effectively a 100% active oil, Gummi Pflege will be significantly less than 100% active – the water present in the formulation only acting as a sacrificial carrier to leave behind the active components.

In terms of service life – it is unrealistic for any such topically applied product to claim to be ‘permanent’ as it will be affected by environmental factors.

The most significant in the context of a folding-roof mechanism is that the lube-film life will be dependent on how many times the roof is opened and closed during a typical spring/summer season (forgotten what that is like!!!).

To put some data to this – historically, the manufacturers of Krytox flame-tested pieces of treated weatherstripping/roof/door seal elastomer and ‘fingerprinted’ the levels of fluorine over a duty cycle of several million movements over the course of 4 years – and measured comparable levels to the start-point.

This is a consequence of how low the volatility/evaporation rates are for Krytox, and an indication of what is possible in terms of ‘life’.

Krytox also has an incredibly low coefficient of static friction – this is why it is so effective at eliminating stick-slip – the phenomenon which gives rise to seal squeaks and creaks.

Krytox is also approved and recommended by most of the major Automotive OEMs for NVH issues, including Daimler Benz – most sell the same product under their own part number as a service item, typically at prices higher than we can supply on behalf of the manufacturer.

Specifically for MB SLK – I had some contact with Jeremy Stevens some years ago - he came onto us as an MB SLK owner, and subsequent Krytox customer.

Unbeknown to us at the time, turns out he was the Technical Director for the Mercedes Benz Gazette – MB owners club journal – and went on to publish an editorial regarding Krytox which was not initiated or sponsored by us or the manufacturer.

From a practical perspective, I have used it on several of my own vehicles with dramatic results.

I had a BMW E36 cabrio which creaked horrifically when I acquired it, Krytox silenced this – car was transformed.

My current daily driver is a 2012 Seat Ibiza – and when purchased at 6 months old, the two-piece drivers door grab handle creaked equally horrifically every time I gripped it to close the door.

I popped the handle apart and applied a thin film of Krytox GPL105 to the mating surfaces, reassembled – and today, after nearly 7 years of regular use, there is no noise from that same door handle..

My current indulgence is a 2016 M135i which I’ve had for a year – seals were bone dry when I bought it and there was some creaking (exaggerated by the admittedly by the stiff chassis..) – eradicated by thin film of Krytox.

Apart from seal creaks – Krytox also sheds water, and prevents door glass and seals from freezing in winter, reducing risk of damage when doors are opened.

This is particularly relevant to cars where door-glass indexes down as the door handle is operated in order to clear roof fabric when opened.

You will achieve several complete treatments of the roof/door seals from a single applicator bottle – a little goes a long way.

You’ll also find it to be brilliant for treating any other cockpit creaks – leather seat bolsters, seat-console interface, fascia noise etc etc.

All in all, a genuine wonder product – and for less than half the price of a tank of fuel for the SL which may only last a couple of hours!

Apologies for the rambling, Rory – but being a frustrated Chemist (!) - having cut my teeth at Castrol many years ago, I am such an enthusiast for Krytox – as you can probably tell.

If Carlsberg managed company inboxes…

Hi Rory,

Thank you for sharing this. Do you have a link to where you can (safely) buy it?

The GBR Teach website is timing out but when it does sometimes load is can’t see a link to buy it.

Thank you for sharing this. Do you have a link to where you can (safely) buy it?

The GBR Teach website is timing out but when it does sometimes load is can’t see a link to buy it.
I managed to get onto the site. Might be easier to email their sales team which is how I purchased it.

[email protected]

Hi Rory,

Very interesting, thanks for taking the time to share this info.

Another fan here of Krytox I get mine from local VW dealer.
Great stuff especially on convertibles and sun roof rubbers.

So you guys use Krytox on door seals in place of GummiPflegge? I do find that GF has to be renewed periodically.

So you guys use Krytox on door seals in place of GummiPflegge? I do find that GF has to be renewed periodically.
Yes.

I used it (Krytox) on all the rubber seals, folding roof, windows, doors, bonnet etc & the bottle is still almost full (you can see the fluid at little black marker line in the picture) and I was not frugal. It really goes a long way.

I did the all seals on my SL 3 years ago and they are still fine. I previously used GP on my SLK and renewed it at least 2x a year (car was my daily driver in Brisbane Australia where it is pretty hot most of the year and the roof got opened and closed 2x a day for 3 years. I wish I’d known about the Krytox then.
IMG_1456.JPG

Used silicone spray on all my rubber seals .Go over them every summer in warm weather with a duster and silicone spray and apply it to the rubber on doors and wndow seales wipe it over after . Good as new after ,and it keeps them supple , stops them from cracking and ageing .Dont get any on the front screen ,if you do clean off right away with a good glass cleaner . Use silicone on every rubber bush under the car and the bushes will last for ever ,,and at the same stop that creaking as they dry out in the hot weather . And not forgetting the tyre walls .

Smashing, thank you 👍🏻

Cheaper via ebay...

This is the reply I recieved from gbrtech sales staff...

"We supply Krytox GPL105, repackaged into 30ml applicator bottles and supply under our own brand as Perflox AS-105.

We supply this in a convenient 30ml applicator bottle which includes both a dropper spout as well as a ‘wick’ cap which can be used to directly apply the oils to the seals in a controlled way

Perflox AS 105 oil £44.40 per 30ml + applicator bottle - this is as delivered price including VAT - 2-3 day delivery via postal system "

Cheaper via ebay...

This is the reply I recieved from gbrtech sales staff...

"We supply Krytox GPL105, repackaged into 30ml applicator bottles and supply under our own brand as Perflox AS-105.

We supply this in a convenient 30ml applicator bottle which includes both a dropper spout as well as a ‘wick’ cap which can be used to directly apply the oils to the seals in a controlled way

Perflox AS 105 oil £44.40 per 30ml + applicator bottle - this is as delivered price including VAT - 2-3 day delivery via postal system "
That is roughly what I paid for mine 3 years ago with the wick cap and dropper bottle. JUst make sure it is their stuff and not some knock off labelling. There was a lot around when I first looked.

Used silicone spray on all my rubber seals .Go over them every summer in warm weather with a duster and silicone spray and apply it to the rubber on doors and wndow seales wipe it over after . Good as new after ,and it keeps them supple , stops them from cracking and ageing .Dont get any on the front screen ,if you do clean off right away with a good glass cleaner . Use silicone on every rubber bush under the car and the bushes will last for ever ,,and at the same stop that creaking as they dry out in the hot weather . And not forgetting the tyre walls .

This is what I use . Lidl and Aldi get it in a few times a year 30 Bob a tin , can't go wrong.

Don't forget that gummi pflege is simply German for rubber care.

There's certainly nothing cheap/nasty about (genuine) Wurth products, a well-established German company and used by many in differing trades in the UK. I've used and still use both gummi pflege and also the small 'bottle' of MB-branded Krytox (or whatever they call it), no problems with either and no evidence of 'chalking' etc. I tend to use the MB product on the pan roofs and gummi pflege on the door/boot/bonnet seals/rubbers.

Reactions: JHS
Gummipflege is currently on special at Micks Garage., £5.69 per 100ml tube...:)

Back when I had my Honda S2000, everyone swore by Shin-Etsu for the rubber seals, of which there were many. Investigated this and found that Shin-Etsu, recommended by Honda, was nothing more than silicon lubricant as used by divers to lubricate wet suit zips. Also used in spray form in electronics. This is available online at a fraction of the price of branded products and served me well for the 10 years of S2000 ownership.

Gummi pfledge is not silicon based so doesn't attract dust 🙂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom