Gunge in the header tank - help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

griffin5

Car
1999 A140 Avantgarde 535 Virago 1989. Godden Jawa 897, 500 Jawa Laydown.
Just checked the header tank - Gunge, oily mess.
What are the likely causes, head gasket? Car has had no problems, only came to light when the level warning came on.

Mayonnaise

Mayonnaise in the header tank is a classic symptom of cylinder head gasket failure

I'd clean out the gunge, check the oil filler cap for mayonnaise, check the oil & water levels, run it for a bit then recheck. Any sign of the temperature running above normal is another sign

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Last edited:
head gasket

Head gasket for sure. Check the oil, you may only see very thin traces of white emulsion in the black oil. Dont leave it too long and keep an eye on your oil pressure gauge and temp gauge.

grober said:
Head gasket for sure. Check the oil, you may only see very thin traces of white emulsion in the black oil. Dont leave it too long and keep an eye on your oil pressure gauge and temp gauge.

No gunge in the oil or filler cap,oil pressure at max, temp still as per normal.

Thats good means the bottom end should be OK, but bolides diagnosis is still probably true unfortunately.:eek: Head gasket often goes at rear of engine cos it runs slightly hotter. well it did on both of mine.:(

Last edited:
grober said:
Thats good means the bottom end should be OK, but bolides diagnosis is still probably true unfortunately.
Aarghhhhhh Will visit my friendly independant tomorrow.

Same symptoms as I had on my C200,temp was normal,no water in the oil...compressions were fine.I eventually concluded the head had cracked,and auctioned it!!

Well if it is a head then guess who has a spare one. Hmm just thought, wont do as mine is from a 2ltr, sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom