Guns - pest control

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
I have a garden adjacent to open countryside. Although I have fenced with chainlink & chicken mesh, both buried in the ground by 3" - 6", we still have a problem with rabbits. They probably get in via the open drive or through a neighbours fence & then into our garden through an un-fenced boundary.
Second problem is with fat pigeons who can't be controlled with fences.
I have a rabbit trap but the current rabbit only eats the carrots outside the trap and ignores the bait in the trap (clever bast**d:doh:)
Final resort seems to be a gun.
I have had sufficient previous gun handling experience (22 & 303 at school/scouts, 12 bore at corporate days out, air guns in mates gardens).
Does anyone know the maximum power gun which can be held without the need for a license. Also, can anyone recommend a suitable gun for rabbit/pigeon control.
Don't really want to go down the 12 bore route as the crafty rabbit usually sits & feeds adjacent to the greenhouse (clever bast**d:doh:)

A good quality air rifle used responsibly will do the job.
Try Air Arms, Theoben etc..., Where abouts in the UK are you?...ahh I should have paid attention you're in Suffolk.

Last edited:
Uttings.com

These guys are in Norwich and seem to be doing some clear out deals on Air Arms and Falcon (subsidiary of Air Arms) rifles.

Good quality rifles are always set just under the 12ft/lbs muzzle energy limit for use by people without a fire arms certificate. Cheaper ones tend to be less powerful and somewhat variable, if you're buying new expect to pay min £250 for rifle and scope.

You can't but airguns via the mail these days so you'll have to visit the shop, which I would do anyway.
Hope this helps!:)

You need to be pretty accurate and confident if you're going to take them out with an air rifle (I would probably go with a 177) - your primary concern is to do it humanely. What are you going to do if you don't get the head shot?

Having said that, once you've got the little buggers, you can then get your own back by having them for dinner!
Rabbit meat is lovely and tender (there isn't all that much of it though - all on the hindquarters), Mmmmm rabbit curry/stew/pie - lovely.
Be aware though, it WILL stink the kitchen out if you have an unvented oven.

I have two cats who each catch and eat at least one rabbit each per day.

The deal is that I buy the flea stuff and clear up after them.....!!!

Better off with a crossbow - better range, more killing power, deadly accurate - and can be used on larger pests without (as a bullet does) leaving a signature traceable to you ;)

Rabbits dont like white spirit, just sprinkle it round your lands border. If the holes are on your land extra sprinkling is required ! ! Anyone got moles ? got a cure for them too.

VTD hit the nail on the head, there's a minimum distance from a public right of way that you can discharge a gun (iirc it was 100 yards but that has probably changed).

Killing with a crossbow is illegal in this country, A much safer bet would be to have a look on some pest control forums and see if there’s anyone with a ferret and nets who’ll do it for you.

Maybe worth putting a post on here http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?act=idx you'll probably get a few offers and you wont have to buy any kit.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the input so far.
Crossbow is something I hadn't considered - but I gather it's illegal to kill with one.
The public right of way is interesting. My garden backs onto a private piece of land (an unkept garden of several acres) and behind mine is heavily wooded. Between my fence & the trees is an unofficial footpath used mainly by others in the same row whose gardens also back onto this land. At the side is a field which hasn't been cultivated for over 10 years (this is where the rabbits come from). Again an unofficial footpath crosses the field, used by dog walkers & kids accessing a copse the other side of the field.
I don't have a shotgun licence and would probably go for the most powerful airgun available without a licence.
Other problem with air gun is that we only have one window facing the garden & this is top hung and over the kitchen sink - not easy to access for a clear shot. We also have 2 sets of doors overlooking the garden, but Mr Rabbit usually disappears as soon as we open a door. Could end up spending a lot of time sitting in silence waiting for him to appear!

Bunnies are evil, Take one of these and call me in the morning!:devil: :thumb:

brenbuild002tl9.jpg

Reported .... ( my little form of pest control ) ;)

Bought an air rifle & scope last august from this guy. This particular air rifle seemed nicely balanced.
Was just under £150 incl a bag & pellets.
Haven't got any bunnies or pidgeons yet - they seem to know when I'm coming and hide!

I got my first squirrel of the year today:)

Thought they would be still asleep - must be the mild weather

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom