Gutless W124 200te

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pablo54

Car
200te
I have a 1992 200te which has become really gutless! It starts first time every time, dosent burn oil, has recently had new dist cap, rotor arm, leads, plugs. It seems hesitant when pulling away, it dosent miss fire, just hesitates. it is also overheating even with the stat removed. There is no sign of water in the oil, or oil in the water. Does anyone have any clues?

Also does anyone know the pinouts for the 9 pin diagnostic plug?

Regards,
Paul

Could be several things.

Lack of compression=burnt valves.

Cylinder head gasket gone ( despite the lack of symptoms)- very common on this engine.

Ignition timing too far retarded. could also be your ignition unit overheating.

Choked radiator leading to over heating or faulty pressure cap.

Get the cylinder compressions tested and check the ignition timing. A choked radiator section will feel cooler due to lack of coolant flow.

renew the fuel filter

Last edited:
If its a 102 engine check cylinder no 2 as they are prone to problems, possibly either a burnt valve or spark plug fowling. If its a M111 engine check that the plug leads are on the right cylinders. Looking from the front,

front left hand lead = plug 1
rear left hand lead = plug 3
rear right hand lead = plug 4
front right hand lead = plug 2

You would be surprised at how many I see going 1-2-3-4. The engine runs well enough but lacks power for some reason.

Ok, done a few tests, found out that pin 3 is the DTC output on the diagnostics port, I have a reading of 30%, which points to the temp sensor. Does anyone know what the cold resistance the 4 pin temp sensor should read? mine is 1.4K ohm
regards,
Paul

Figures for the six cylinder engine with KE INJECTION TEMP SENSOR
2.3-2.8 Kohms at 20C-----FALLING TO ------290-370 ohms at 80C

Last edited:
Firstly, thanks for all the advise. I had a good look at vacuum lines traced them throughout the engine bay, found three leaks. One was on a chamber hidden within the front wheel arch, one was a rub through, the last was on the EGR under the inlet manifold. Took the car for a thrash up the M4 then through the center of Bristol, the temp never got over 90, and it now has a bit of go in it.

Regards,
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom