Gutted - Wheel bearing exploded

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisRed63

Car
Mercedes E320 CDI
Driving home in my E320 cdi 2004 on Thursday experienced a sudden bang & terrible noise coming from the drivers side front wheel.
Following investigation it appears the wheel bearing has shattered & then due to the heat has melted around the axle stub !
Had hoped to get my car back from the garage before xmas however it seems I now need a new axle stub.

Does anyone know where I can source a used one - from what I am told they are £300 new.

Febi Bilstein

32850.jpg

Part number :32850 front complete with bearing
MB number :230 330 03 25

Ecp should be able to help you or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FEBI-3285...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43d0a106e3

Last edited:
Try Franny on here company is wunderpartz they have an eBay shop and Google should reveal phone number he stocks loads of Febi parts

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

As said find yourself a breakers, the bearing will have welded itself to the hub/stub axle, you haven't had it adjust recently have you? Had a few fail in my time but not a lot.

I had a similar experience with my car last February, when nearside front wheel bearing failed without warning. I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but you're probably going to need more than a stub axle and hub. Mine cost me £1500 in total at a good indy.

I had a similar experience with my car last February, when nearside front wheel bearing failed without warning. I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but you're probably going to need more than a stub axle and hub. Mine cost me £1500 in total at a good indy.

That's crazy, you were had there... Op unless you have had it sorted already it won't cost that much.

thank you for the responses, the garage where the car is located is closed over Christmas period & were trying to locate a second hand stub axle. Need to get in touch with them as do not want to end up with two!

I live in wild west Wales quite isolated so any breakers would need to be sourced online - we have a couple I know of but I think very unlikely but will ring them.

Mercedes had taken a look at the vehicle before I agreed to purchase as the ABS light was on during the test drive, the problem traced to a sensor & sensor & a sensor ring replaced?

Would this have had anything to do with it, could the problem be linked or have been identified then. I bought the vehicle from a independent garage about 4 months ago & the ABS problem sorted by Mercedes in Haverfordwest at the request of the garage.

Thanks again for the responses & fingers crossed will have the car back on the road in the new year I hope....

Chris

Mercedes had taken a look at the vehicle before I agreed to purchase as the ABS light was on during the test drive, the problem traced to a sensor & sensor & a sensor ring replaced?

Would this have had anything to do with it, could the problem be linked or have been identified then. I bought the vehicle from a independent garage about 4 months ago & the ABS problem sorted by Mercedes in Haverfordwest at the request of the garage.

Absolutely it would if they over-tightened the bearing when they put the hub back on (which needs removal to access the sensor ring). It's also important to load the bearing with the correct amount of Merc specific green grease if replaced.

If it was the same wheel that had the work done that collapsed 100% get back in touch with them.

That's crazy, you were had there...

Not sure I was, the local MB dealership wanted over £2k just in parts, with probably another 6 to 8 hours labour. I can't recall all the parts that were changed, but it was stub axle, wheel hub, wheel bearings, 2 x brake discs, 1 set of front brake pads, 1 x brake hose plus other bits and pieces. The indy also stripped, regreased and adjusted the offside front bearing. No doubt some parts could have been found for less money, but I wanted all OEM parts. What's most worrying about the whole episode is not the cost, but the fact that I had NO warning at all of the impending failure.

Not sure I was, the local MB dealership wanted over £2k just in parts, with probably another 6 to 8 hours labour. I can't recall all the parts that were changed, but it was stub axle, wheel hub, wheel bearings, 2 x brake discs, 1 set of front brake pads, 1 x brake hose plus other bits and pieces. The indy also stripped, regreased and adjusted the offside front bearing. No doubt some parts could have been found for less money, but I wanted all OEM parts. What's most worrying about the whole episode is not the cost, but the fact that I had NO warning at all of the impending failure.

Well in that case the price doesn't seem so bad but you've had a lot of other work done there in addition to what the OP is having done so a bit mis-leading in this context to say the least

Not sure what you'd call 'other' work - it was all required following the wheel bearing failure. Granted, the OP's car may not have suffered all the damage that mine did, but changing both front brake discs and pads (one side damaged) and regreasing/checking the other wheel bearing were seen as a wise precaution by me.

its been a while

Hi - finally got my car back today !!
Not only delayed due to xmas & new year but also parcel for part being caught up in the whole city link courier chaos.

Thanks for all the responses - fingers crossed all goes well oh dear it's snowing !:dk:

Aaah !
ABS light on, ESP warning light on apparently the garage did not fit a ABS sensor ring !!
Tonight felt lucky that the car actually stopped as was sure it was not going to.
Anyone know where I can get the sensor ring / seal please let me know.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom