GUYMARTIN -THE WORLDS FASTEST ELECTRIC CAR-TONIGHT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is it likely to be on 4OD?

Interesting program.

I don’t want to spoil it for anyone intending to watch it on catch-up, but I did find the attempt to do a round trip to John O'Groats in 24hrs in the Hyundai illuminating.

Interesting program.

I don’t want to spoil it for anyone intending to watch it on catch-up, but I did find the attempt to do a round trip to John O'Groats in 24hrs in the Hyundai illuminating.
Again without spoiling it. Very interesting, it’s not my idea of a fun journey, talk about range anxiety, and the cost £££. imagine what it will be like if every vehicle on the road is going through the same process daily, the county will grind to a halt.

Again without spoiling it. Very interesting, it’s not my idea of a fun journey, talk about range anxiety, and the cost £££. imagine what it will be like if every vehicle on the road is going through the same process daily, the county will grind to a halt.
Defo, the amount he spent on charging up!!!! Astonishing. 😳

Interesting program.

Anxiously interesting, we were up there a couple of years ago, the fuel stations a very few and far between anyway, let alone electric points. You will need to fit a lawnmower engine over the driven wheels just in case.

Defo, the amount he spent on charging up!!!! Astonishing. 😳
Absolutely, I was always under the impression EV’s are cheap to run. I appreciate most people don’t travel from Lincolnshire to John O Groats daily and back again, and a lot of his charging was at motorway services, but if your car needs charging every 150 miles you will probably end up using them on a long trip.

Absolutely, I was always under the impression EV’s are cheap to run. I appreciate most people don’t travel from Lincolnshire to John O Groats daily and back again, and a lot of his charging was at motorway services, but if your car needs charging every 150 miles you will probably end up using them on a long trip.
If I’m not mistaken the excessive cost was due to the ‘fast’ charging points. I believe charging at home on a slow charge is indeed peanuts. As Guy said, if you do 100 miles max per day. Electric makes sense. Any more than that then stick with ICE vehicles. (For now).

Interesting and informative program for the layman who knew nothing of the advantages and disadvantages of EVs. Interesting development of internally fused battery packs to prevent thermal runnaway and subsequent fire after accidental damage for example in comparison to older battery technology. What was slightly ironic was that at John O' Groats he was a mere 30 miles from the Dounreay Reactor Site which made a vital POWER contribution to the NATIONAL GRID in post war Britain during the Arab Oil crisis and pre the discovery of North Sea Oil and gas- perhaps something to conjure with for the future?

It was a very interesting insight into EV's
They are definitely a car to have it out and out speed is what you want,

But it just shows how floored the concept is for the real world. Its no wonder they have yet to become main stream products. They make great second cars but as a main family car they simply don't work unless you want to add another level of stress to your already busy life.

To mean it seems as though they are trying to sell you a floored concept at a premium price in the name of saving the planet.
I am also pretty sure these ultra fast chargers do not run at full capacity because there simply isn't the grid capacity available at the time you try and charge. A 150 or 300KW charger is all very well providing the grid can provide this "large" amount of power when you demand it. If not the charger runs at a lower rate, but you have no way of knowing this at the time of connecting your EV and ordering your coffee.

If I’m not mistaken the excessive cost was due to the ‘fast’ charging points. I believe charging at home on a slow charge is indeed peanuts. As Guy said, if you do 100 miles max per day. Electric makes sense. Any more than that then stick with ICE vehicles. (For now).
You are spot on, he was using the fast chargers when available. I guess it’s like filling up with petrol or diesel on the motorway, it costs significantly more and would be a last resort for most people, but at the moment it seems in an EV you don’t have much choice but to pay the high price on a long journey, because they just don’t have the range to get from town A to town E without stopping at B,C&D on the way. Obviously things will improve over time, but I don’t think I will be buying one anytime soon.

Very interesting, it’s not my idea of a fun journey, talk about range anxiety, and the cost £££.
Indeed.

I'm honest enough to accept that the infrastructure to support "on journey" charging of EV's is still in it's infancy (relatively speaking compared to dino fuels, but BEV's have been on the market in the UK for at least 10 years) and thus the availability of charging points is limited, but it was an eye-opener that it was also grossly unreliable, ranging from charge points that just didn't work at all through to "premium" fast chargers that are ludicrously expensive (at 70p / kWh!) that didn't deliver the paid for premium fast charge.

Then there was the massive difference between the manufacturer's range estimates and what's achieved in real world "normal" driving. I accept that this is somewhat analogous to manufacturer fuel consumption claims for ICE-powered cars, but those don't generally suffer from limited range to start with. When the normal driving range is less than 70% of that claimed, it's a real problem.

The icing on the cake was the cost of on the road charging for the trip meant that the "fuel" cost for the journey far exceeded (by around 70%, from memory) what would have been expected for a similar size diesel car.

All in all it showed that the overall technology and infrastructure is currently non-viable as a replacement for ICE-powered passenger cars except in very specific and limited use cases. How quickly that situation will change is the big unknown.

In today’s newspaper a commentator opined that the real way forward is a self-regen hybrid. In my experience (with a Lexus IS300h) it’s the opposite, for the environmentalist anyway - really a case of “what’s the point?”. Max EV even when warm was about a mile, and overall consumption in the 18 months I had it from new was +/- 35mpg.

But in sport mode and a heavy right foot, which I had in the last week I had it (because I’d foolishly filled it up) it was a different story. The 2.4ltr petrol engine and the lecky motor working in tandem, nice!

the amount he spent on charging up!!!! Astonishing. 😳

A predictable outcome given 80% of EV chargers at motorway services are run by one operator. That means almost no competition and no incentive to keep the price fair or reasonable. The government allowed this monopoly to happen in the mad long rush into EV infrastructure. I won't be buying an EV until they have a range that allows home charging for almost every conceivable journey.

CMA investigates dominance of Electric Highway chargers | Autocar

A predictable outcome given 80% of EV chargers at motorway services are run by one operator. That means almost no competition and no incentive to keep the price fair or reasonable. The government allowed this monopoly to happen in the mad long rush into EV infrastructure. I won't be buying an EV until they have a range that allows home charging for almost every conceivable journey.

CMA investigates dominance of Electric Highway chargers | Autocar
Here is the solution - Best Gas Generators to Charge Tesla or EV • Epic Buyer's Guide • EV Adept. We have Skoda Enyaq as an additional family car mostly used to run short distance errands. For the longer distances we have a gas generator at the back and i don't remember having any problems with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom