Gypsy Blood True Stories Channel 4

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Joined
Dec 28, 2007
Messages
8,209
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Kids can't read but are taught to fight.
C*ck fighting
Hare coursing
Shooting wildlife
Disputes settled by bare knuckle fighting with everyone watching/cheering
Death threats
"I'm the king of the gypsies, no, I'm the king of the gypsies"

Are they just wired differently :dk:
 

martyz

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
2,436
Location
New Forest
Car
ClK 209,190E 201.
So why don't social services go to these camps and take the children into care?
It's all conditioning that the authorities are too scared to tackle,as a single family unit behaving in this manner would be swiftly dealt with.
 

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 15, 2003
Messages
5,001
Location
Sunbury
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
So why don't social services go to these camps and take the children into care?........................

Because as soon as they set foot on the site they'd be threatened and possibly attacked. If they did manage to remove a child the beard and sandals brigade would throw every 'ism' and 'ist' at Social Services as well.
 

evdok

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Sep 26, 2006
Messages
2,519
Location
Stourport
Car
BMW 330D xDRIVE M/SPORT INDIVIDUAL
Round them up & dump them on a deserted island.
 

martyz

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
2,436
Location
New Forest
Car
ClK 209,190E 201.
Because as soon as they set foot on the site they'd be threatened and possibly attacked. If they did manage to remove a child the beard and sandals brigade would throw every 'ism' and 'ist' at Social Services as well.

as I said too scared,surely something can be done,children harming each other,parents telling their child if they quit a fight they will be beaten,there is a
child protection order that can be applied for,ism's or ist's don't come into it.
 

fatdazza

Active Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2010
Messages
438
Location
Cambridge
Car
Vauxhall Chevette
Because as soon as they set foot on the site they'd be threatened and possibly attacked. If they did manage to remove a child the beard and sandals brigade would throw every 'ism' and 'ist' at Social Services as well.

I am surpirsed that no one has applied to make them a "protected species"



Interestingly I came across this photo - I suspect our travelling friend here, has aquired too much lead from the church roof!
3656896.png
 

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Feb 2, 2010
Messages
8,206
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
Kids can't read but are taught to fight.
C*ck fighting
Hare coursing
Shooting wildlife
Disputes settled by bare knuckle fighting with everyone watching/cheering
Death threats
"I'm the king of the gypsies, no, I'm the king of the gypsies"

Are they just wired differently :dk:

Actually that resembles what would have been the norm for the rural population here, certainly up to the Victorian era, when urbanisation, primary education and a well-meaning but somewhat rigid social control started having their effects.

I read recently that genetic analysis had established that the gypsy population of Europe shows clear lines of descent from Indian untouchables who may well have arrived in the 15th and 16th centuries. Being a pretty self-contained group with clear experience on being on the rough end of society, this may well account for the premium placed upon being able to handle yourself, and also an imperviousness to change.

A reasonable number of genuine gypsies round here. A settled family up the road ride their traps a lot of the time, and on high days bring out a carriage and four of the most stunning black horses, all braided and polished. Apart from the sight it slows all the boy racers down, so I thoroughly approve!
 

Scott_F

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Mar 12, 2010
Messages
4,094
There was a programme on recently about bare-knuckle fighting in the gypsy community and we still have regular broadcasts of Big Fat Gypsy Weddings.

How many more such programmes do we need in order to understand that their way of life is different, that their weddings are chavvy and our outraged curiosity is satisfied ?
 

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
8,659
Location
Next Door to Alice - 25 'kin years now
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Gypsies will see this as their culture and their heritage. As such they will not welcome outsiders looking in at them and attempting to stop what they see as their right of passage.

It doesn't fit well with outsiders but it is them being them.
 

evdok

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Sep 26, 2006
Messages
2,519
Location
Stourport
Car
BMW 330D xDRIVE M/SPORT INDIVIDUAL
Maybe if they showed a bit of respect for other peoples property & stopped ripping people off they might be liked...a little!
 

pipmk

Active Member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Messages
374
Location
Penistone
Car
E350cdi Sport cabriolet
Boy, some of us get very worked up about people whose lifestyle doesn't match that which we regard as "right", usually shorthand for that which mirrors our own.

How about live and let live?
 

st4

Banned
Joined
Mar 1, 2008
Messages
14,373
Location
In the driving seat
Car
C220cdi tourer
pipmk said:
Boy, some of us get very worked up about people whose lifestyle doesn't match that which we regard as "right", usually shorthand for that which mirrors our own.

How about live and let live?

I do subscribe to live and let live. It's a good way to be, but certain groups don't and create strife and aggro for others.
 

WesLangdon

Banned
Joined
Jan 22, 2011
Messages
469
Location
Old South Wales
Car
300E
Two things we are confusing the ethos of Irish travellers with that of the Roma[ny] gypsy and secondly neither group gets much from the society that they live in. They are faced with prejudice, hatred and even organised and state violence at every turn.
 

st4

Banned
Joined
Mar 1, 2008
Messages
14,373
Location
In the driving seat
Car
C220cdi tourer
WesLangdon said:
Two things we are confusing the ethos of Irish travellers with that of the Roma[ny] gypsy and secondly neither group gets much from the society that they live in. They are faced with prejudice, hatred and even organised and state violence at every turn.

And they never ever cause damage to personal property or commit any crimes at all?
 

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
8,659
Location
Next Door to Alice - 25 'kin years now
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
And they never ever cause damage to personal property or commit any crimes at all?

Well where I live in Kent we have our fair share of "Gypsy" camps. One is about two miles from my front door. I see more damage to property, theft, cars etc from the local yoof than I do from the Gypsy community. Now when we have the "Traveling" fraternity come through town there is always a marked rise in all of the above mentioned offenses. That includes them actually nicking from the Gypsy Camps, going around for a punch up etc.

I think we need to be careful that we are not generalising and or demonising all people in a group especially when they may or may not be in that group.
 

st4

Banned
Joined
Mar 1, 2008
Messages
14,373
Location
In the driving seat
Car
C220cdi tourer
brucemillar said:
Well where I live in Kent we have our fair share of "Gypsy" camps. One is about two miles from my front door. I see more damage to property, theft, cars etc from the local yoof than I do from the Gypsy community. Now when we have the "Traveling" fraternity come through town there is always a marked rise in all of the above mentioned offenses. That includes them actually nicking from the Gypsy Camps, going around for a punch up etc.

I think we need to be careful that we are not generalising and or demonising all people in a group especially when they may or may not be in that group.

Do the gypsies own the land they camp on?
 

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
8,659
Location
Next Door to Alice - 25 'kin years now
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Do the gypsies own the land they camp on?


Yes they do and they look after it. It is the travelers who tend to land grab. Or more commonly now buy the land via and agent, then have power and water connected (under the guise of Livery) as soon as that is in place they move in. This is normally done on a Bank Holiday Friday to ensure that they have all weekend to get the fences and gates up.

This causes a planning issue as a well as a change of use issue. Ownership is usually not contested. In this scenario is is likely that they may well be the anti-social nightmare that some of us encounter.

However they are well versed in the law and how to play it.

Interestingly what we do now see is a reluctance to sell land without extensive background checks. This is matched with fear of local residents if a landowner has land for sale. Greedy landowners are happy to profit from that fear. Some have been known to actually start rumours about their prospective buyers caravaning habits to help the price along.
 

st4

Banned
Joined
Mar 1, 2008
Messages
14,373
Location
In the driving seat
Car
C220cdi tourer
brucemillar said:
Yes they do and they look after it. It is the travelers who tend to land grab. Or more commonly now buy the land via and agent, then have power and water connected (under the guise of Livery) as soon as that is in place they move in. This is normally done on a Bank Holiday Friday to ensure that they have all weekend to get the fences and gates up.

This causes a planning issue as a well as a change of use issue. Ownership is usually not contested. In this scenario is is likely that they may well be the anti-social nightmare that some of us encounter.

However they are well versed in the law and how to play it.

Interestingly what we do now see is a reluctance to sell land without extensive background checks. This is matched with fear of local residents if a landowner has land for sale. Greedy landowners are happy to profit from that fear. Some have been known to actually start rumours about their prospective buyers caravaning habits to help the price along.

Point taken.
 

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
8,659
Location
Next Door to Alice - 25 'kin years now
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Please do not get me wrong here as I am in danger of labeling Irish Travelers as the bad guys. Big Fat Gypsy Weddings is 100% based on Irish Travelers and I hear that Gypsy's hate it. One of the locals here said it should be called Big Fat Irish Traveler Weddings - That I suspect is a very valid point and one that somebody thought would be just to close to the mark.

Rather interesting - Maybe. When my wife's Discovery was pinched the local plod headed straight round to the local Gypsy Camp. So confident were they that they would recover it. It was actually found in he local town parked up and described as nicked for a lift home, and not by Gypsy's. Police lost interest then.

They did however stop me two days after we got it back as I drove past the camp and accused me of having stolen it. Apparently it hadn't been removed from their stolen records on ANPR.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom