H4 Vs H7

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The H4 bulb has two filaments in it - one for dipped beam and one for main beam. The H7 just has a single filament - so if you have these for dipped and main beam you need 4 bulbs.

the H4 has 2 filaments and a reflector (55w dipped beam) and 60W main beam. H7 only has a 55w filament, so you'll need another lamp/bulb to do mains. Not interchangeable.

The H4 bulb has two filaments in it - one for dipped beam and one for main beam. The H7 just has a single filament - so if you have these for dipped and main beam you need 4 bulbs.

beat me to it..:)

so my car
a 1996 W202 can take both??

and H4 is preferred cause it does both high a low beam?

Otherwise if i buy H7 i need to buy 2 kits one for high 1 for low??

Cheers

No.

Your car needs one type or the other. Look in the handbook, it will tell you.

My car can take both,
That was the whole point of the thread
to tell me which i should get

My car can take both,
That was the whole point of the thread
to tell me which i should get

If you have a 1996 W202 your car should use H7 fitment bulbs, the fittings are totally different.

Unless you have non-standard wiring of course...
Michele

Last edited:
If you have a 1996 W202 your car should use H7 fitment bulbs, the fittings are totally different.
Is that definitely true for an Aussie-spec car? I dunno...

Anyway, assuming that the OP intends to just replace the bulbs that are currently fitted rather than carry out a modification, the easiest way to be certain is to pop the current bulbs out and take a look at them. On the base it will say either H4 or H7. Get whatever matches.

H7 it is..

does just changing the bulb really do much?

i was thinking the full kit with ballast etc..

cheers

Brad

Uhmmm... depends on what bulb you had and what bulb you are planning to goto...

You cannot fit a HID bulb to a filament system without fitting "the whole kit". A filament (xenon filled or otherwise) bulb operates at 12V on a W202... A HID bulb at several thousand...

I keep forgetting you're in Oz - so my comment regarding the H7 is for a UK spec W202. The easiest way to check if to pull the back cover off your headlights, take a bulb out and count how many "feet" it has. It will have 2 (H7) or 3 (H4)

Michele

H7 it is..

does just changing the bulb really do much?

i was thinking the full kit with ballast etc.
Sorry Brad, I'm only just getting the gist of this...

I take it from your "i was thinking the full kit with ballast etc" comment that you're considering an HID conversion? If so, then Michele is absolutely right: this can only be achieved with a complete kit. As a simpler suggestion for improved lighting which will be much cheaper and easier why not try these? Very effective, totally legal for road use (HID conversions sometimes aren't) and it's a simple "plug-and-play" bulb change.

There are three different headlamp types in Europe for the W202 (I suppose six if you count LHD/RHD) but there's 1993-1996 (pre-facelift), 1997-2000 (facelift) and HID. The only conventional bulbs in use are H7s and H1s.

I believe the USA had a pre-facelift headlamp that used H4s, so if you are checking on bulb types and stumble across a website talking about H4s then it is probably refering to USA models.

I find it unlikely that the poorly specified USA headlamps (amber running-lights, plastic lenses and mercury-vapour or some other RUBBISH lamp type) would be used in any other region or even adapted to be used in a RHD market like Aus, especially when Japan uses the same lamps as EU and especially the UK and they're practically around the corner from Aus.

If you don't believe me about how poor the USA spec headlamps are, have a read of some of their forums! They talk about UPGRADING to halogen! Their motoring standards are trapped in the 50s.

Their motoring standards are trapped in the 50s.
1850's?? :devil: :D

cowboy2%20(Medium).jpg

Ok read the back page of my book, Maybe should have done this at the start :)

My car takes H7 Globes. The reason i started to look into HID was because my headlights are crap. they don't give off good enough light and at night my vision is less than it should be.

I have watched a few how to guides on installing them but they don't apply to my car. That's were you guys came in. i wanted to know of a picture how to guide for the 96 C200 W202...

I tried the philips bulbs (Just plug and go but still wasn't impressed)

So yeh are they any H7 Conversion Kits that will fit my car.
If yes an you send me a link.
And if yes,
do you know of a HOW TO..

Thank you all for your help and comments

:)

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom