H7 Bulb recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

91dm

MB Enthusiast
Car
A few
Hello,

I mainly drive on unlit country roads and I'm looking for some actual reviews on bulbs before I waste any more money.

I had Osram nightbreakers which were ok but didn't last very long before one blew and now have a set of Philips that promise a million times brighter but seem very poor.

Has anyone Osram nightbreaker laser bulbs or could recommend a set of bulbs that deliver what they say!

Thanks

I have Lasers in the mains in my S204 but Ultimates in the dips - which are on whenever the ignition is on. Also had NB+ and original NB's - the originals did not last well in the S203. IMHO the Ultimates are best value for money of the 4 types, and I'm more than happy with the headlights on my S204 now.

I've just fitted Osram Silverstar 2's which are a definite improvement on the stock H7's and claimed to last twice as long as the old version. While they are not claimed to be as good as the night breakers they still do well in reviews. I wanted some improvement but also a decent life. I fitted the older version Silverstars in my last car and they lasted for years. I think though that any premium bulb is going to have a relatively short life if they are permanently on in daytime use.

I'll tempt providence - the Ultimates in my dip beams have so far lasted about 4 years, and they're on full time when driving. Fingers crossed I haven't just put the mokkers on them!

Thanks for comments. I might try a set of the lasers next, I was sceptical after seeing the reviews. I’ve never seen any of the bulbs light the extra 40m etc quoted.

Aparently lumen output from Ultimates and Lasers is identical, but for some reason Lasers are more expensive so IMHO try Ultimates first!

I (Natacha) have got OSRAM lasers on my Vauxhall (dont shoot me). They are better than standard but still not amazing!

Aparently lumen output from Ultimates and Lasers is identical, but for some reason Lasers are more expensive so IMHO try Ultimates first!

Auto Express reckoned the original Nightbreaker is better than the Laser.

I tried the original NB's in my S203, they did not last long (less than 1 year) and all 4 quit in the space of a month, luckily I had spare bulbs in the boot but changing bulbs at the side of the road in the dark was no fun. NB+ and Ultimates have been much better, I think the ultimates have been in the S204 dip beams (on full time) for 4 years and still (touch wood) OK.

I tried the original NB's in my S203, they did not last long (less than 1 year) and all 4 quit in the space of a month, luckily I had spare bulbs in the boot but changing bulbs at the side of the road in the dark was no fun. NB+ and Ultimates have been much better, I think the ultimates have been in the S204 dip beams (on full time) for 4 years and still (touch wood) OK.

I had NB and NB Ultimate in the W203, and although the NB Ultimates did last longer than the NBs, neither lasted very long....

But then again the W203 had no DRLs and I had the headlamps (dipped beam) always-on.

The W204 has DRLs so potentially the NB Ultimate will now be fine for me so I am tempted to try these again, but at the same time I am also tempted to wait for LED-substitute technology to become both mature (and road legal)....

My 204 does not have DRL's, so the ultimates (dip beam) are always on!

My W204 doesn't have dedicated DRL's either. I miss the dim/dip function on my old car that operated the dip beams at 1/4 power which served as a DRL of sorts.

It seems to me lighting has two distinct functions. To be seen by others and to see with.

It's getting so that every car on the road is using headlights to be seen by others during daylight which while not significant on an individual vehicle is a gross waste of energy on a national or global scale. I also don't think it's the safest option. Two 55W headlights should only be needed when it's dark enough that they are required to see the road ahead. I include the initial stages of twilight in that. I think lower powered DRL lights cause less glare and are safer overall as lights to be seen by others. I wish I could retrofit some DRL's less expensive than those above without the inevitable "canbus" problems.

If you have standard front indicator bulbs, then these may suit you. They wer about £110 in 2015.

I fitted my CLK with Probright TDRLs, they replace the front indicator bulbs with a combined LED indicator and DRL.

Got them by post from Novosibirsk in Russia in 2015 and they are still working perfectly. There's a thread on here about them.

Probright TDRLs

They used to do rear indicator LED replacements as well.

Reactions: 190
No canbus errors on the ones I've posted as they are independently driven with just a sensor wire tapped in so they know when the dipped beam is on.

I had them wired properly into the fuse box to an ignition-on live.

I got mine for 130 and paid acms 50 quid to fit them.

Just to update this, I changed the Philips diamond bulbs for vision plus which seem to be much better for my requirements. The diamond bulbs are definitely whiter and look almost like Xenon's however if you need to see where you're going, vision plus bulbs are much better! I'll see how long they last, hopefully longer than the nightbreakers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom