Had a 20 min play in a new E63 Estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter DLM

MB Enthusiast
Car
19 reg CLS 350d, 67 reg AMG GT R Caterham Levante
Sadly, the weather wasn't ideal for test driving this car, but I got a fair idea of what the new twin turbo V8 was all about. Noise is very acceptable, especially the brap on start up and when paddling down a gear.

A whole load of torque from nowhere on the revs which the 6.2 lacks, but a relatively flat top end by comparison. I'm sure a remap with higher rev limit will sort that out as it feels like it'll keep going for a nother 1000 revs quite happily.

Handles lovely, feels livlier than the previous model too. If I can feel that I can do without the obnoxious poser image of my SL, I could quite easily have one of these next year. :bannana:

Do you mean the S211 when you say previous model Pete?

Do you mean the S211 when you say previous model Pete?

No, I should have said the pre-facelift aspirated model which you have. I can't put my finger on it as I didn't have long enough, but it could just have been down to tyres or steering changes. It certainly darted around the many roundabouts here easier than I recall in the 6.2.

Engine isn't as characterful, but I could live with it very easily, power everywhere but lacking slightly at the top.

The M157 will be so tuneable. 212 E63's have a unique rack and suspension. There may have been updates since mine I guess, though my steering and handling is fab. There have been a few comments about it missing the soul if the 6.2. Hope not as it's a natural next step for me.

Was is the black one from milton keynes Mercedes? I was admiring it over the weekend.
I was told it didn't have the optional LSD fitted. thats even more impressive if it handled well on the roads today they are so greasy around kingston.

Was is the black one from milton keynes Mercedes? I was admiring it over the weekend.
I was told it didn't have the optional LSD fitted. thats even more impressive if it handled well on the roads today they are so greasy around kingston.

No, this one is an MBUK press car. I didn't ask if it had the LSD option... I'll find out.

How did it compare to your smart Peter :)

Funnily enough, didn't notice much difference... :ban::bannana::D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom