Had a RTA in my truck today...whos at fault

Discussion in 'Driving/Incidents/Roadrage' started by skyline pete, Apr 2, 2014.

1. skyline pete

skyline pete Active Member

Car:
    CLK 230 K ..and a big DAF 105/510 bhp XF
    driving on a normal road ..just delivered a digger to a site... anyway going along this road in manchester fairly wide road ..theres a bus parked at a bus stop ahead.. traffic is going round bus no problem.road ahead is clear for has far has i can see... no problem... i go to make my move ..indicate to move out ready to go passed bus...im now 3/4 passed bus half and half over white line.. theres a junction on my right side road just ahead...a black focus turns left out of side road ...i can see him coming out towards me... im on my horn flashing lights...only doing 18mph....he keeps turning i cant go anywhere,,,BANG..... he hits my 2nd axle on truck bounces off tyre/wheel my offside with his offside headlight area..totals the focus front wing bumper lights bonnet etc etc i lost two pointers off my wheel......he says to me he looked right all clear then turned left........:eek:..no police called ..waiting to go thru works insurance..etc etc waiting for whos at fault...:dk::dk:,,what do you guys think...:wallbash:

2. Scott_F

Scott_F Hardcore MB Enthusiast

You were well into your overtaking manoeuvre and he pulled out when it wasn't safe to do so.

1 person likes this.
  3. davidjpowell

davidjpowell Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    Him. Junction presumably is give way, not drive into oncoming vehicle. This is why taught to look both ways... He did not... He smashed up as a result....

1 person likes this.
  4. def90cars

def90cars Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S205 AMG C63S, W204 C63 AMG PPP, Abarth 595 Competizione, Fiat 500 Twinair, Toyota Carina E GTi
    1. Him - turn out of a side road when not safe/clear....but
    2. You - overtaking in an unsafe place i.e.near a junction.

Personally I'd go with 1. but I'm not the insurance company.

5. mat8n

mat8n Banned

Car:
    Sl63,honda crf450x, BMW x3, vespa lx50v, Honda goldwing in bits!
    solid white line? if so your fault.

6. OP
    OP
    skyline pete

skyline pete Active Member

Car:
    CLK 230 K ..and a big DAF 105/510 bhp XF
    no solid white line was normal gapped lines...his junction was a give way..

7. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    Was it foggy, were you relying on your sat nav to overtake the bus?

4 people like this.
  8. MDC250

MDC250 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

You were there to be seen. He has either seen you and pulled out or not seen you and pulled out. Onus is on vehicle entering a major road to check safe to do so before commencing pull out.

You may possibly be contributory negligent as some have commented taking into account factors such as overtaking near to a junction, whether solid white line in play etc but given size and speed of your vehicle not as if you've blipped the throttle and done a crazy overtake.

I'd fight this one all the way.

9. martyz

martyz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '99 S202 '91 W201
    His fault,as per post#2.

10. flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes CLK 230 Kompressor Sport
    50/50 IMHO

He clearly never looked left and pulled into your path but was on the correct side of the road.

You attempted an overtake on putting you on the wrong side of the road. If the junction was opposite the stopped bus then the overtake could be deemed dangerous or you failed to see the car proceeding up to the said junction, if you couldn't see down the side road to confirm it was clear then the overtake was questionable.

The above is what I think the insurance will say but quite clearly the focus driver was a muppet.

11. Rory

Rory MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C270CDi Estate (2004 facelift model)
    His fault.

Apart from personal pride, does it make any odds to you?

12. Sp!ke

Sp!ke Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    SL500 & The Fart Car
    We had an almost identical post from the other perspective a few months ago.

1 person likes this.
  13. Stratman

Stratman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
    From the Highway Code:-

14. jamesfuller

jamesfuller Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    The one that starts!
    The Focus is a courtesy car while his black Mazda is in the body shop!

He should have looked, okay you where over the centre but what if it was a wide load/vehicle. You should see some of the muppets out here in the sticks at harvest time! 18 foot wide bright yellow combine with bright flashing lights, nah didn't see it because they are looking 6 feet in front of the bonnet!

15. guydewdney

guydewdney Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    906 Sprinter 313cdi
    I have HGV licences - I cant see anything wrong that you did, bar possibly a bit quick @ 18mph on the 'wrong' side - theres no such thing. Lorries have to use all of the road - as part of my test I had to be (fully, all 26 wheels) in a right turn only lane, indicating left.....

16. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    To my mind... overtaking near a junction is not allowed, passing an obstacle in the road is always allowed inc. solid white line (if safe).

So if the bus broke down, you were OK to overtake.

If the bus was simply stopped at a bus stop, you should have waited patiently behind it.

No idea if this will be the insurer's position, just my view.

17. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    It is not advised.

But it is allowed.

My view would be that while not advised if the junction was clear when the OP started the manoeuvre then the blame lies entirely with the other driver.

If the junction was not clear and the other driver was already there then things start to move in the direction of 50:50.

If the other driver had already started their manoeuvre before the OP started his manoeuvre then it goes past 50:50 towards fault of the OP.

The account as given suggests somewhere between the first two.

Insurers seem to like 50:50 when there is any doubt .....

1 person likes this.
  18. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v

Agreed.

19. Troon

Troon Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A big one
    From your description, he drove into space he hadn't looked at. What if there were a little old lady crossing the road instead of a big truck?

2 people like this.
  20. flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes CLK 230 Kompressor Sport
    I agree any vehicle can use all of the road but must do so with "Due care and attention" If a vehicle is in an RTA and on the oncoming carriageway, then accident investigators always look at that vehicle first as it carries the most suspicion. As already pointed out the driver emerging from the junction has a duty of care to check the space he is pulling into is clear so my bet 50/50

I can give you one instance that happened here, a Fire engine on a blue light run overtook an articulated HGV that was stopped unloading in a 30 mph shopping street, a car pulled out of a car park on the opposite carriageway straight into the path of the oncoming fire engine. The result was pretty catastrophic but the driver of the Fire engine was prosecuted for Dangerous Driving, right or wrong, cross that white line and the burden of liability shifts significantly.