Had a speeding ticket from somewhere I've never been

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Felstmiester

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range rover sport
Received a speeding ticket through post yesterday from Kent police claiming I was doing 60 in a 50 limit on the m20 coast bound at 4:15pm on 23/05. This was in the wife's car/ family car. We've never been on the m20!!

I've rang the number provided and apparently they have a photograph that shows the car in question has a roof box fitted. We've never had a roof box fitted. I was advised to write a letter stating it wasn't me so I've done so and also enclosed some pics of our car. Hopefully this will prove it wasn't us. Crappy thing is, there's someone driving around with the same reg plate. Just hope they don't do anything serious!!

Is the other car the same make/model/colour as yours ?

Sometimes these people will look out for a car similar to their illegal one then 'clone' it so that they dont have to pay VED,insurance etc , and can fill up for free then drive off wherever they go , as well as going through speed cameras with impunity .....

Sometimes , if you complain , your local DVLA office will issue you with a new number so that the confusion will end .

It's not necessarily a clone, the most common reason for this is a plate mis-read in the (s)camera partnership (who will claim to have checked everything 100% before sending out the notice :rolleyes: ).

Even though it wasn't you or your car in their picture, one tip is to make sure you've satisfied the s172 request fully within 28 days of the request. I know it sounds daft, but if you don't do that you will have committed an offence. Normal advice is to include all the details requested in the s172 form in your letter explaining it wasn't your car, and staple the s172 form to it with "See Attached" scrawled across it.

It's not necessarily a clone, the most common reason for this is a plate mis-read in the (s)camera partnership (who will claim to have checked everything 100% before sending out the notice :rolleyes: ).

Even though it wasn't you or your car in their picture, one tip is to make sure you've satisfied the s172 request fully within 28 days of the request. I know it sounds daft, but if you don't do that you will have committed an offence. Normal advice is to include all the details requested in the s172 form in your letter explaining it wasn't your car, and staple the s172 form to it with "See Attached" scrawled across it.

Indeed !

It is also not unknown for garages to make up one or both plates with a couple of digits reversed , or even one wrong , so that the plates on the car are not the true number - and some people drive around unaware !

If that is the case then there may not be a spree of offences ; otherwise just wait for them to come rolling in .

Is the other car the same make/model/colour as yours ?

Sometimes these people will look out for a car similar to their illegal one then 'clone' it so that they dont have to pay VED,insurance etc , and can fill up for free then drive off wherever they go , as well as going through speed cameras with impunity .....

Sometimes , if you complain , your local DVLA office will issue you with a new number so that the confusion will end .

When I made the call I asked the lady what the car in the pic was and she said it was a volvo xc90 d. We have got a xc90 deisel but weather she just said that because the reg has shown it as that or the pic was so good that she could read the badges on the boot is another thing lol

No doubt you are the innocent party but be aware you're entering the twilight world of officialdom and red tape!

Received a speeding ticket through post yesterday from Kent police claiming I was doing 60 in a 50 limit on the m20 coast bound at 4:15pm on 23/05.

That very line there might explain something.

Time of day
Heading
And ignorance of Average Speed restriction

Looks like its gone out of the country and your plates helped it get there.

Wild theory of course but hope it gets sorted soon.

M20 and speed cameras? Only place I know of those is across Maidstone where they have all the gantrys. Only other "policing" of the Kent M20 is AFAIK unmarked cop cars - and they pull you over if you're naughty. Seen a few getting their collar felt at the roadside!

Why would they have a 50 limit on the M20 at 4.15pm? We drove that road on 19th and 26th May and there were no speed restrictions then. Before the "new" gantrys were commissioned, I was told by a (Kent Highways employee) friend that the average speed cameras on the gantrys were only active if the gantry was showing a speed limit - and I've yet to see a camera flash from them, even though many a car has gone past me at well over the 70 limit. A bit south of Maidstone it's common to be passed by folk doing close to or north of 3 figures as they rush for their ferry/train!

-Agree with this- recently had an erroneous parking ticket with a pic attached of someone elses car with a plate one digit different to mine.

Not sure if it would be the right thing to call again and request they send me the photo??

Is your number plate made up of letters that could, with a serious squint, be made to look like someone's name. I'm thinking Gazza, Shazza etc here.

Is your number plate made up of letters that could, with a serious squint, be made to look like someone's name. I'm thinking Gazza, Shazza etc here.

Not really. Unless your names SLOD that's about the only thing I can see lol.

Not sure if it would be the right thing to call again and request they send me the photo??

Definately request a copy of the picture - only way you can be sure what's going on

I would say definitely ask for the photo - it is possible you will be able to point out differences between the two cars.

I've had two experiences like this related to me.

The first was an academic who was acccused of hitting a cyclist and leaving without stopping in Manchester. He lives north of Lancaster and was not in Manchester, besides which the car had a slow puncture and for that reason was not being used. In that case, the cyclist got the numberplate wrong.

The second was an elderly lady who returned from a three month visit to family in Australia who was accused of an offence in London. There was no way she would drive to London and she was cross with her son, who she assumed had driven without asking. Turned out to be a completely different kind of car with a screw in the numberplate intended to mislead police.

Both these events were sorted out amicably. Best thing was that the elderly lady did not accuse her son before we helped her get to the bottom of it.

Regards,

Lisa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom