Had an idea but don't know how to take it forward

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks like there is a bit interest in timepieces on the forum , wonder if it is worth starting a "Watch" section to stop peoples threads being hijacked ???

K
A fair few watch threads here already Kenny. Here’s one:

A fair few watch threads here already Kenny. Here’s one:

Never even thought to search for a Watch thread , :thumb: , the last time that one was used was July 17 so may stick a post on it to bring it up to date a bit which should stop us "watchies" interfering with other peoples threads.

K

I’ve got several watches including TAGs and an Omega but always wear a Garmin Forerunner.
I'm wearing a Polar Vantage at the moment. Keeps telling me it's time i got up and moved around. Bit rude.

Havn't had a watch for donkeys years nor felt the need for one. Clocks are everywhere plus you have Mobile. They are just a piece of jewellery and I don't do jewellery :rolleyes:☺️
Couldn't agree more. Jewellery on men... always borderline Jimmy Saville in my opinion 🤣

Havn't had a watch for donkeys years nor felt the need for one. Clocks are everywhere plus you have Mobile. They are just a piece of jewellery and I don't do jewellery :rolleyes:☺️
I don’t either. Never have a neck chain and never worn any kind of ring.

Finally got it compressed. To be honest, the Datejust is my favourite. Worn every day:)View attachment 116771
My son’s wife got him one of those watch storage boxes - space for about 10 so he is doing his best to fill it with quality watches. o_O

I love the mechanical engineering aspect of watches more than anything. In fact most of my hobbies have involved some kind of "engineering" aspect - whether cars, bikes, climbing, even coffee making! Anything involving kit basically, especially if there's a good story with it. My Fortis B42 Flieger watch has a pretty common ETA Valjoux 7750 movement but's regarded as one of the design classics in watchmaking. The 7750 has quite an interesting story as well (for anyone that wants to google it!). For a mechanical chronograph i also think it's amazing it stays at gaining just 1s a day.

Speaking of Tissot my dad bought his Breitling Navitimer in 1963 when he was 19. He didn't like the strap so went next door to the Tissot shop in London and cut the strap off the Breitling to replace it with a metal bracelet with holes in!. Like the one below. It wore out recently but i managed to find two NOS ones. He was over the moon. The bracelet is very 1970's and incredibly uncomfortable!
View attachment 116768
Years ago Tissot also did a strap like that.

Are we far enough off topic yet?
Talk about thread creep! :banana:

It struck me that if power can be generated by movement and given that mobile devices need very little power, wouldn't it be possible to make a device that can be "worn" to keep your phone topped up your for instance? Surely someone has thought of that before? I just want 10% of revenue please :)

So the automatic watch was not far off! LOL

The current processes for turning kinetic energy into electricity are not very efficient, with lots of losses. Not to mention storing electric energy. I'm guessing that whatever amount of electricity you'll be able to produce and transfer to your phone just my moving around, will be minute. You'll probably need to invent a new and highly efficient way of turning kinetic energy to electricity.

The automatic wristwatch, BTW, turns kinetic energy into potential energy by loading a spring with tension, which it a much simpler process. Even so, the amount of potential energy stored in a watch spring is very small.

Last edited:
Incidentally, this is the issue with our planet... it's not the lack of energy that's the problem, there's plenty of that coming from the sun, it's our inefficiencies in capturing, storing, and distribution it.

wouldn't it be possible to make a device that can be "worn" to keep your phone topped up
Keep a battery in your pocket connected to the phone. :) Then you need another battery to charge that one, mmm,:( how about just plugging it into the mains at homeo_O:mad:

Remember the wind-up transistor radios made for use in nuclear fallout shelters during the Cold War....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom