Had it 3 weeks ish and 1st trip to Dealer....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BaldGuy

MB Enthusiast
Car
No longer a Benz...
If this is the sign of things to come, this car wont be around for long with me....

I'm really not impressed that a 5 year old car with 23k miles and full Mercedes Service history should need a new rear Air Suspension/shock absorber strut.

So £1600 later and both rear struts replaced (as they have to be replaced in pairs), also the latest software in both the engine and gearbox.

It drives with no rattles now and very smooth changes....

On the flip side, I still have "that" stupid grin everytime i drive it...

No warranty Greg ?

Are you sure they need replaced in pairs ?

My S500 had an Airmatic strut replaced at 120k miles - just the one as it had failed.

The other was fine and 12k later is still fine.

They always say they have to be replaced in pairs, until they are replacing them under warranty, when suddenly they don't....

They always say they have to be replaced in pairs, until they are replacing them under warranty, when suddenly they don't....

Which is why my Indy said I only needed the one changed then ...

The Warranty did not cover it as they said its a wear and tear item.... (this shows that ALL warrantys are a load of bxlloxs)

Luckily the dealer i bought it from footed the bill, however this does not explain why a car with this mileage, history etc should need a new strut... i didnt pay anything out on either 911 in the years i had them. This better behave or another 911 will return...

Because its been track day'd mercilessly thoughout it's short life ? :devil:

Because of the poor design the ball joints at the bottom wear like mad.
You can get the joints filled with resin, but success isn't always guaranteed.

My 7 year E55 has had a total of 7 struts, rears replaced twice and front OS twice, NS once. 5 under warranty and 2 at 50% contribution.

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

^ Quality.

I'm contemplating a 6 year old ML with Airmatic on around 40K

Only a humble 320cdi, but don't relish £1600...

My 7 year E55 has had a total of 7 struts, rears replaced twice and front OS twice, NS once. 5 under warranty and 2 at 50% contribution.

Is yours an 05 plate? I thought it was older with the speedo...

Hey Greg, Air struts are a common occurance, one of the downfalls of having airmatic.

Arnott in the USA remanufacture them fyi and give a lifetime guarentee in case you need in in the future, but hopefully not as they have now been done!

enjoy the beast mate!

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

What if you had to pay out of your own pocket :eek::eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom