Had my MOT done at Tony Purslow, Guildford ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Letter through the post confirming when it was booked in for.

Friendly greeting when I dropped it off.

Phone call later to say all was fine, and the car was ready.

When I picked it up last night the car was gleaming and spotless, inside and out (tyres dressed etc. too). Little metal box of mints left on the centre console.

Value for money? I should say so. Total cost - zero! :bannana:

They have extended the discount on cars over 6 years old to include free MOTs when needed :)

Yeah I get free MOTs from Whitefield too, only when it's also in for a service though.

Vips said:
How? Why was the MOT free?

Like I said, if your car is over 6 years old they now give free MOTs (as well as 40% off labour and 10% off parts when it's serviced there).

My next service isn't due till September, so I was very pleasantly surprised to get all this for nothing!

BTB 500 said:
Like I said, if your car is over 6 years old they now give free MOTs (as well as 40% off labour and 10% off parts when it's serviced there).

My next service isn't due till September, so I was very pleasantly surprised to get all this for nothing!

No doubt the 'stealer' brigade will still say you were ripped off.

Nice post, nice garage.

John

glojo said:
If you add together the savings of going to an independent when compared to an MB workshop they might come to more than the price of an MOT.

It is however eroding the apparently "huge" savings, what with various discount schemes, free MOTs, warranty and unexpected goodwill items.

Guildford, but I'm sure it applies to all branches. It was mentioned in the last newsletter they sent out.

What are the odds on them moving to Slyfield Industrial Estate when they announce where they're going?

Could be, is there a vacant space there?

glojo said:

Nice post, nice garage.

John

Ummmm... did Bill check his mileage upon collection in the evening...:D :devil: :p

Shude said:
If you add together the savings of going to an independent when compared to an MB workshop they might come to more than the price of an MOT.

It is however eroding the apparently "huge" savings, what with various discount schemes, free MOTs, warranty and unexpected goodwill items.
Yup, my local indie quote £250 + VAT for a B-service using non-MB parts (i.e. MB parts is possible but will cost extra). My local MB dealer quoted £370 inc VAT for a B-service with free MOT. The actual price differential is not that great considering the MOT will cost me £44 else where. Plus the dealer did a good job inspecting the car (first service since buying the car second-hand) and provided a list of to-dos totalling £1300 + VAT (brake discs and pads all round, and two rear springs). Of course I declined the additional work and did them myself costing around £300 in parts and one day of my time.

Flash said:
Ummmm... did Bill check his mileage upon collection in the evening...:D :devil: :p

Yes, it had done about 40 miles which struck me as a bit high. However the MOT is definitely done elsewhere, probably the valeting too. And a 9 year old car needs warming up fully before emission testing, so difficult to say whether the mileage was excessive or not.

40 miles, crikey!

Glad to hear that the service was good though :)

Will

jeremytaylor said:
What are the odds on them moving to Slyfield Industrial Estate when they announce where they're going?

Hmmm, I think you might be right. I personally dont like where they are now.

I know that Mercedes Benz Walton upon thames (Formerly Woking Motors - Why when its no where near Woking? ) are closing and moving to the new Brooklands site when it opens!

I've bought a couple of cars from them now and probably paid at least one salesmans salary for a year with all the servicing/purchases/recommendations i've put their way but I have to say, the service is good. Just dont take your car there to be traded in!

Alfie said:
Hmmm, I think you might be right. I personally dont like where they are now.

I know that Mercedes Benz Walton upon thames (Formerly Woking Motors - Why when its no where near Woking? ) are closing and moving to the new Brooklands site when it opens!

The parking is pretty bad where they (Purslows) are now, I imagine that's the main reason they're moving. Any idea when Brooklands is opening? I go past twice a day on the train and it's looking pretty complete already!

I think Brooklands is supposed to be opening later this year :)

wongl said:
Yup, my local indie quote £250 + VAT for a B-service using non-MB parts (i.e. MB parts is possible but will cost extra). My local MB dealer quoted £370 inc VAT for a B-service with free MOT. The actual price differential is not that great considering the MOT will cost me £44 else where. Plus the dealer did a good job inspecting the car (first service since buying the car second-hand) and provided a list of to-dos totalling £1300 + VAT (brake discs and pads all round, and two rear springs). Of course I declined the additional work and did them myself costing around £300 in parts and one day of my time.

£250+VAT = £293
+ £44 for MOT
+ £10? for car wash + basic interior clean
+ £30? for Mobilolife breakdown service
+ £10? for Tony Purslow accident recovery / arrangement service
+ £2? for a coffee/s

= £389 ish

even without the extras, as you say, the difference isn't as great as expected considering they are using MB parts too.

BTB 500 said:
Guildford, but I'm sure it applies to all branches. It was mentioned in the last newsletter they sent out.

Yes, it does, had my car MOT'ed by Tony Purslow Basingstoke on Tuesday
though I didn't get the car wash :(
not that my car needed it really... it's always generally quite shiney :D

uumode said:
not that my car needed it really... it's always generally quite shiney :D

The rented house I'm in at the moment doesn't even have an outside tap, so I did appreciate mine being washed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom