Had my PPF damaged ... so made me wonder ... how cost effective is it ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What scratch protection does ceramic coating offer?
in terms of everyday use things that would scratch normal paint EG someone brushing past the car when dirty will be shrugged off a lot of stuff that damages paint such as bird droppings are also not an issue, it just provides a very hard glaze like coating that is more resistant to everyday life, plus it keeps the shine much better and dirt cleans off easier, more intense damage will marr both coatings or films

in terms of everyday use things that would scratch normal paint EG someone brushing past the car when dirty will be shrugged off a lot of stuff that damages paint such as bird droppings are also not an issue, it just provides a very hard glaze like coating that is more resistant to everyday life, plus it keeps the shine much better and dirt cleans off easier, more intense damage will marr both coatings or films
Which ceramic coating offers scratch protection in your experience?

Which ceramic coating offers scratch protection in your experience?
ok, if this is how it is. Non of them in fact no products ever will offer scratch protection I have even managed to scratch bedliner on my offroader, however for Day to Day use with modern soft paints a ceramic coating is an extra level of protection for light touch scratches the sort that drives me mad when I see them in the sunlight, you want to wrap your car in plastic feel free but as the image above shows the damage is still there, the repair still needs doing and the cost of the wrap is how much? plus refitting because it didnt do what it was supposed to.
Brands well there are many do the research and decide for yourself, at the end of the Day they are all polymer coatings that add a tough layer to improve the smoothness of the surface, bond with the paint and add a microscopic layer that acts like an oil film on your paint so you dont actually touch it but touch the polymer.
Personally have used several over the years but the important step is proper cleaning/treating in advance and correct application
How not too and an indication of how resistant these coatings can be
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ok, if this is how it is. Non of them in fact no products ever will offer scratch protection I have even managed to scratch bedliner on my offroader, however for Day to Day use with modern soft paints a ceramic coating is an extra level of protection for light touch scratches the sort that drives me mad when I see them in the sunlight, you want to wrap your car in plastic feel free but as the image above shows the damage is still there, the repair still needs doing and the cost of the wrap is how much? plus refitting because it didnt do what it was supposed to.
Brands well there are many do the research and decide for yourself, at the end of the Day they are all polymer coatings that add a tough layer to improve the smoothness of the surface, bond with the paint and add a microscopic layer that acts like an oil film on your paint so you dont actually touch it but touch the polymer.
Personally have used several over the years but the important step is proper cleaning/treating in advance and correct application
How not too and an indication of how resistant these coatings can be
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I was just interested to know which ceramic coating offered the protection you mentioned. I think you may have jumped to the conclusion that I’m anti-ceramic coatings, but I’m quite the opposite.

I have Gyeon MOHS+ on most of my cars and have done so for years. Whilst I’ve generally been pleased, it doesn’t seem to offer any noticeable scratch protection, even for light scratches.

Hence the reason for being interested in your recommendation if it was based upon real world experience of scratch protection, as that’s far more compelling than any amount of research.

If you don’t wish to share then I respect your decision and I won’t ask again.

PS For anyone interested I have recently had Titan Vulcan TX155 (catchy) applied to one car. Strange name and big claims. Not really had it long enough to draw any conclusions.

I'm constantly getting little scruffs and scratches on my car from car parks. I'm one of those annoying people that parks in the least busy part of the car park and (to my wife's disgust) don't mind the extra 30 seconds walk to the store. But even then, you come back and someone had parked right next to you, or they've managed to let their trolley drag down the side of your car. PPF would protect most of those incidents.

I have had one that had to be flatter out and polished by the body shop.
Yep. I park beyond the third ring of the planet Zog. Nothing anywhere near me. Come back and some old Herbet has parked his Hyundai Effluent next to my Benz. Why??

When I had my Alfa resprayed I got the body shop to spray additional coats of clearcoat on the areas most susceptible. My thought was that it would act like a sacrificial layer and I could wet sand/polish out any minor damage. I haven’t needed to try this yet so can’t really comment if it works! I have some ppf on the front but I don’t really like it, it’s just the cheap venture shield stuff So might remove it.

ok, if this is how it is. Non of them in fact no products ever will offer scratch protection I have even managed to scratch bedliner on my offroader, however for Day to Day use with modern soft paints ........
I believe that the MB paints are considered hard.

Yep. I park beyond the third ring of the planet Zog. Nothing anywhere near me. Come back and some old Herbet has parked his Hyundai Effluent next to my Benz. Why??
Me too.

1) I want to avoid dings.
2 ) As any person that has ever owned a 2 door car knows, you need to open the door much wider to get in and out.

Never understand why people park their POS next to me when the rest of the carpark is empty.

To my mind, you are asking the wrong question,
because PPF isn't meant to save you money on minor repairs... it's meant to protect the original paintwork (at a cost).

I don't have a special or very valuable car, but if I did have one, I would consider PPF as something that saves the original paintwork from a respray, and not necessarily something that saves money.

Repairing PPF and repairing the original paintwork are two different things, in terms of how they affect the car. And, keep in mind that PPF is a cost you incur upfront, while a respray is a cost that you may never incur. So the two are not really comparable.

100% agree ... really ... lol ... I guess I never really considered the cost of replacing a single PPF panel and the ONLY reason why I was a bit shocked is because I just had the wife's car repaired (paint wise) lol ...

Don't get me wrong, I don't regret that - putting satin PPF on my metallic black E63S was the best decision :)

Did you get a scuff that wasn't your fault?
Did the PPF not do it's job?
Were you mis-sold PPF?
Claim today!

Brilliant :D

I know - I wanted to hear what suty455 thinks. ;)

As far as stone chips go ....I find keeping a sensible following distance is effective. Been driving over 50 years and never had a problem with stone chips. Get a minor one every now and then but nothing that bothers me very much and easily touched up. IMO certainly not worth the crazy prices the installers ask.

Def. does not work all the time. I am using distronic every single time and change the distance to the car in front of me based on speed limit. For example - on M25 I tend to have 3-4 car length distance to the car in front. Only just two days ago I forgot to change it and had 4-car distance to cars on an A road and had a rock launched at my windscreen at such a force that I have essentially a chip in the screen. Tiny - in fact too small for repair - but it is still there.

Those scratches almost look intentional, 2 different angles of scratches, how is that possible ?
Vandalism ?

@geoffus Nope - my own fault. I looked at house camera as I had a feeling it was me...

It was our driveway wall :

photo-2021-07-01-20-09-31.jpg

One direction of the scratch when pulling in, other direction when reversing and correcting.

I was just interested to know which ceramic coating offered the protection you mentioned. I think you may have jumped to the conclusion that I’m anti-ceramic coatings, but I’m quite the opposite.

I have Gyeon MOHS+ on most of my cars and have done so for years. Whilst I’ve generally been pleased, it doesn’t seem to offer any noticeable scratch protection, even for light scratches.

Hence the reason for being interested in your recommendation if it was based upon real world experience of scratch protection, as that’s far more compelling than any amount of research.

If you don’t wish to share then I respect your decision and I won’t ask again.

PS For anyone interested I have recently had Titan Vulcan TX155 (catchy) applied to one car. Strange name and big claims. Not really had it long enough to draw any conclusions.

In fact, my PPF was ceramiic coated as well lol ...

never seen a couple of scratches cost 650 to repair!
Get a proper Ceramic coating done anything that will damage that will damage PPF anyway and it looks so much nicer (IMHO) am not a fan at all of the Satin or Matt looks, shiny bright things are much nicer, if you dont like chrome black it but paint should gleam

The 650 was for a complete re-spray of the bumper as it had microscratches across the whole front that would have impacted the PPF and there was a risk that said PPF would have lifted .. I agree it is expensive, still but it is what it is now :)

Def. does not work all the time. I am using distronic every single time and change the distance to the car in front of me based on speed limit. For example - on M25 I tend to have 3-4 car length distance to the car in front. Only just two days ago I forgot to change it and had 4-car distance to cars on an A road and had a rock launched at my windscreen at such a force that I have essentially a chip in the screen. Tiny - in fact too small for repair - but it is still there.
Of course it does not work all the time :rolleyes: but, you can tell drivers that tailgate just by looking at the front of their cars in the carpark.

My car also has distronic and all the other driver aids that were available when I purchased it but, I still use the 2 second rule and make sure I have a bigger gap than that.

I’m not saying PPF is no good, but as you have proved it is not a cure all. I don’t see the point and it gets reinforced in my mind when your problem crops up. Even if it could be patched or is a small panel that wasa separate piece, I’d expect there would be a colour difference - new vs old PPF.

They have been using PPF on cars since the 80’s - It was factory installed on the front lower part of the rear wheel arches (instead of the black plastic trim that was on some them) on a VW Jetta that I had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom