Had to cancel policy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sounds like the only don't like performance-enhancing mods.

I've heard the situation with a modded car versus more-powerful standard car before.

It doesn't really make sense to me because if you are choosing mods to make a car faster or choosing a faster car, your aim is the same...

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 6
A year ago, Churchill were willing to insure my E55K estate, which had supposedly been remapped to 525 bhp. Worth trying them?

Maybe it was because you said you removed factory fitted cats and as it's now 'technically' illegal to do so, secondary or otherwise, your car is legally unroadworthy and they wouldn't have to pay out if they found out about it...which they did because you told them...and in so doing did you a favour by refusing your money for worthless cover.

Last edited:
Sounds like the only don't like performance-enhancing mods.
My (bad) experience with Direct Line was over factory fitted options on my E63 and when I mentioned the Performance Pack Plus they went into meltdown.

I think the reality of the situation is that no Insurance Underwriter wants to take on an unquantified risk. Firms like Direct Line are cheap for run-of-the-mill cover because the risk is highly analysed and there's no decision making involved. When you present something slightly out of the ordinary, someone has to intervene to understand what it is (that costs money) and then someone has to quantify what delta it represents in terms of risk (and that costs money too). The easy way out is to either refuse to quote, or to offer a price that's so far in excess of market rates that either the Underwriter is well and truly covered if the offer is taken up, or they don't have to bother because the proposer walks away.

If you want to insure modified cars then some direct insurers (like Aviva) offer a menu of charges for certain modifications, or you need to talk with a proper Broker who can have a meaningful dialogue with an Underwriter and strike a deal on your behalf. This is unlikely to be as cheap as a direct insurer with a standard car, but is often the only realistic way to get insured on something a bit different.

I had this exact thing with Hastings Direct recently. Luckily I was at renewal stage anyway but after remap they did not want to know.

I did the usual compare thing, in the end went with Highway which is subsidiary of LV via Chris Knott.

The best bit it was actually cheaper than my renewal with Hastings, mad world is it not.

My (bad) experience with Direct Line was over factory fitted options on my E63 and when I mentioned the Performance Pack Plus they went into meltdown.

I'd the same problem with Direct Line. I have the Sport Pack on my SLK, and gave up on them when they asked me to give them the cost to replace the factory fit boot spoiler in the event of a rear shunt:confused:

I'd the same problem with Direct Line. I have the Sport Pack on my SLK, and gave up on them when they asked me to give them the cost to replace the factory fit boot spoiler in the event of a rear shunt:confused:
Almost a mirror of my experience.

Amongst other factory options, I have the factory fitted Exterior Carbon Fibre pack on my E63 and they wanted to know the retail price of each individual component. At that point I lost the will to live and took my business elsewhere. Perversely (and the reason I say they make it up as they go along) I then received a follow up call to ask if I'd been satisfied with my dealings with them! When I explained why I'd taken my business elsewhere I was told that what I'd been asked during my original call was incorrect, that they didn't need that information and that they would insure my car for the originally quoted base premium.

Frankly I don't believe anything they tell me any more.

So has the OP laid his car up until cover is obtained?

It's tough, but really does show you that you get quotes before modifying.

In my experience Direct Line make it up as they go along when it comes to modifications.

My attitude was that if they couldn't give consistent, coherent, answers when I was asking questions then they probably couldn't be trusted to deal with a claim unless the car was absolutely standard and with no options. I took my business elsewhere and am unlikely to return.

That's pretty much the conclusion I came to...

I think the reality of the situation is that no Insurance Underwriter wants to take on an unquantified risk. Firms like Direct Line are cheap for run-of-the-mill cover because the risk is highly analysed and there's no decision making involved. When you present something slightly out of the ordinary, someone has to intervene to understand what it is (that costs money) and then someone has to quantify what delta it represents in terms of risk (and that costs money too). The easy way out is to either refuse to quote, or to offer a price that's so far in excess of market rates that either the Underwriter is well and truly covered if the offer is taken up, or they don't have to bother because the proposer walks away.

If you want to insure modified cars then some direct insurers (like Aviva) offer a menu of charges for certain modifications, or you need to talk with a proper Broker who can have a meaningful dialogue with an Underwriter and strike a deal on your behalf. This is unlikely to be as cheap as a direct insurer with a standard car, but is often the only realistic way to get insured on something a bit different.

I am with Admiral who had those 'thresholds'... I am thinking about changing come renewal as if I have to contact them about anything then I may as well telephone a wet flannel.

When I asked them, Aviva said there would be no issue with insuring a remapped car, though they did say it will increase the premium. Ultimately I did not remap and am still with Aviva. Worth checking with them.

So has the OP laid his car up until cover is obtained?

It's tough, but really does show you that you get quotes before modifying.

Nope, new policy started today. Managed to get it down a bit, but its still 33% more than I was paying. What I was paying was really cheap though, so its probably not as bad as it could be.

Id of done the mod regardless, so its irrelevant I didn't check before, just find it amazing insurance companies cancel policies because ive made the car a bit louder. Complete load of ********, but then insurance is.

Its all about perceived risks with insurance companies and they do vary.
Without wishing to offend, but they may take the view that if you want it to sound a bit more 'boy racerish', you might drive like like it.

Id of done the mod regardless, so its irrelevant I didn't check before, just find it amazing insurance companies cancel policies because ive made the car a bit louder. Complete load of ********, but then insurance is.

It's just statistics. People who drive 'modified' cars are presumably involved in more accidents/claims than those with absolutely stock ones (on average). It's another risk factor along with your age, sex, profession, etc. It doesn't necessarily matter what the mod. is.

The coil-overs fitted to my 203 attracted a 25% hike in my premium. The underwriters explained that a car thus modified may be driven in a more "enthusiastic fashion"...

There was no arguing with them..

It's just statistics. People who drive 'modified' cars are presumably involved in more accidents/claims than those with absolutely stock ones (on average). It's another risk factor along with your age, sex, profession, etc. It doesn't necessarily matter what the mod. is.

And yet employers can't make the same assessments!

Don't have the details to hand but insurers cannot price differently for the sexes any longer.

Unsurprisingly neither sex has access to cheaper insurance as a result.

And yet employers can't make the same assessments!

LOL yes. Where I work over 40s were entitled to free voluntary medical checkups every 2 years, but that had to be dropped when the age discrimination law came in.

Don't have the details to hand but insurers cannot price differently for the sexes any longer.

Yes that does ring a bell. It would be interesting to try that out on some of the comparison websites (with identical driver details apart from sex) to see if it's really being applied.

"According to Article 5(1) of Directive 2004/113/EC, member states must ensure that "the use of sex as a factor in the calculation of premiums and benefits for the purposes of insurance and related financial services shall not result in differences in individuals' premiums and benefits"."

"The calculation of car insurance premiums based on risk is by definition fair, but is incompatible with gender equality."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom