Halfords Autocentres messed up undertrays - where to get new ones cheap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stocho

Hi

Took my car (E300TD 1998) for oil change (£50 for fuel service plus) to Halfords Autocentres.

What they did is attached the middle undercover to the front undercover with palstic straps and not to the body of the car at all. As the result the undertray was hitting the surface at any unevenness or at speed resulting in emergency stop on the motorway.

When I complained they claim that the ubdercovers were already damaged and straps were previously used on them rather then screws - but still even if that is true I can see no excuse in allowing a car in such a dangerous condition to leave the workshop without any advice. They could have at least strapped not just the two undercovers to each other but to the body of the car as well.

So now the covers do look damaged. Where can I get cheap replacements (i.e. second hand)? Any particularly good scrapyards in the Herfordshire / Cambridgeshire area? Any other places?

I wouldnt bother with second hand, not that expensive from the dealer.

I would imagine well over £100 for both - probably £150-£200. Even after-market I would expect to be about £70 for both - though could not find them on ECP / gfs. Am I really wrong on pricing of these?

I would imagine well over £100 for both - probably £150-£200. Even after-market I would expect to be about £70 for both - though could not find them on ECP / gfs. Am I really wrong on pricing of these?
I think you are miles off the METAL undershields are cheaper than that! I will take a look on the EPC in a few minutes.

I think I might have underestimated the prices of these things sorry!

Do you know which parts we're talking about? No. 5 on this diagram is £62

Attachments

• oilpan.png
    oilpan.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 163
I think I might have underestimated the prices of these things sorry!

Do you know which parts we're talking about? No. 5 on this diagram is £62

I think it is number 5 (hopefully number 8 is OK and soes not need to be replaced) and probably the tray in front of that - the tray that attaches to the mudguards and also has windows for fog lights. If No.5 is £63 then that one is probably double the amount. .... and it is even more expensive then I thought as I was thinking the softer part like No.8 on the pucture would also be included but clearly we are no looking at about £200 just for the hard trays.

Last edited:
You could do without them.

Well I am UK based where there is regular rain and winter as well as some snow. Last winter my car was essentially strudling snow... Also the chemicals in the grit will be splushed all over the insides resulting in rust not only on the bodywork but also on internals surely?

I would imagine they would be very cheap from a scrapyard if there is one for these sort of cars...

Well I am UK based where there is regular rain and winter as well as some snow. Last winter my car was essentially strudling snow... Also the chemicals in the grit will be splushed all over the insides resulting in rust not only on the bodywork but also on internals surely?

I would imagine they would be very cheap from a scrapyard if there is one for these sort of cars...

Me too. But I had mine off for a while...no ill effects.

Try mercman parts or three pointed parts. There are probably others. You could also lok through ebay for people breaking similar cars. I'm sure you'll get the parts you need cheaply.

I think you are ALL missing the point here-Don't go to Halfords Autocentres. My friend's partner has her company Audi serviced there and they normally mess most jobs up and damage the car. Last time they left a Halfords tie, sweet wrappers and three other customers' personal details in the door pocket and forgot to stamp the service book. So, she phoned up to complain and suggest someone picks up the service book, but they refused telling her she has to do a 40 mile round trip to them. She then mentioned that perhaps head office would be interested to know of customers details left in her car, rubbish and part of their uniform! Even after that they refused. Her company no longer uses Halfords.

I think you are ALL missing the point here-Don't go to Halfords Autocentres. My friend's partner has her company Audi serviced there and they normally mess most jobs up and damage the car. Last time they left a Halfords tie, sweet wrappers and three other customers' personal details in the door pocket and forgot to stamp the service book. So, she phoned up to complain and suggest someone picks up the service book, but they refused telling her she has to do a 40 mile round trip to them. She then mentioned that perhaps head office would be interested to know of customers details left in her car, rubbish and part of their uniform! Even after that they refused. Her company no longer uses Halfords.

Most people that use Halfords autocenters are left less than satisfied, and bodge jobs are quite common.

But what realy makes me laugh, is when they get a job in that is beyond their skills, the branch manager brings the car up to my workshop instead.:D

Professionals they are not.:rolleyes:

As for you undertray, as sugested above try mercman: 01736 757777.

Last edited:
i took mine to Halfords Autocenter a few years back for an MOT and they scuffed a Rim, luckily it was my winter set which werent in the best nick, but it could have bee my 19" splits !

As for the undertray, they put that on the comments as it has undertray so unable to inspect under them.

AFAIK the undertrays are to do with aerodynamics and fuel consumption rather than having any mechanical benefits.

Non of the cars of old had them... I think they came-in in the nineties with the subtle boot spoilers and sleek roof seams.

Not quite F1 'Ground Effect', but evey little bit helps...

So unless you do regular motorway miles at speed you will probably not notice their absence.

Said that... If it was me, I'd put them back on, I prefer to have my cars as the manufacturer intended, even if the benefit isn't always clear.

Below are the pictures of it after oil service but before the ca was taken on motorway

Attachments

• P1150822v2.JPG
    P1150822v2.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 99
  • P1150823v2.JPG
    P1150823v2.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 99
Below are the picture after motorway driving for couple of miles

Attachments

• P1150832v2.JPG
    P1150832v2.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 85
So as you can see the way they did it meant that there was a pocket that was trapping air at speed. At 70mph the air must have been forcing it all the way to the ground and therefore I could hear noise.

Also note the numerous scratches on them - surely they have been saving radiator/hoses/oil pipes / oil pan and other things right at the bottom from damage?

Oh yes they also spilled oil over the air inlet manifold when changing the filter I presume. After I complained they offered to put the shields properly and to clean oil. Though probably better not to ask them to clean the oil - who knows what they might break in the process I suppose?

Attachments

• P1150834 v2.JPG
    P1150834 v2.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 75
Find yourself a good mercedes specilist and stick with them, they may charge a little more but the job is done properly.

I suppose fitting the sheilds properly will mean that they use more cable ties, classy.

Where in the country are you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom