Halfords. Castrol Magnatec 10-40.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trapperjohn

MB Enthusiast
Car
124 300D 24V Estate
Just got an email in from Halfords.

Castrol Magnatec 10-40 Semi Synth for petrol or diesel engines (it says)

£17.50 for four ltrs. While stocks.

Hmmm. Got an oil change coming up on my 124 300D 24v. Does this meet Mercedes spec? Does anyone know please?

Me too

I have just looked on the Castrol site and mine would need 5w40 c3.
This is one they don't do :(

YOU CAN BUY BETTER. There's not a lot of true " Synth" in Castrol "Semi-synth" altho Castrol had a lengthy fight in court to use the term at all. :eek: Fuchs or Millers or Shell Helix or Mobil semi-synthetics are all better bets imho

Last edited:
YOU CAN BUY BETTER. There's not a lot of true " Synth" in Castrol "Semi-synth" altho Castrol had a lengthy fight in court to use the term at all. :eek: Fuchs or Millers or Shell Helix or Mobil semi-synthetics are all better bets imho

The MB commercial dealerships (can't remember what the car dealerships are using now, though) are using Fuchs. I spoke with someone at Mercedes Stockport (Car and light commercial dealership) and was told MB's association with Mobil 1, is finished.

Fuchs oil is sold by Unipart, both under the Fuchs AND Unipart brand names: same oil apparently. Purchased 5 litres of 10/40 Unipart semi-synthetic from my local distributors for £15 recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom