Halfords MoT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flat6buster

Car
W222 S350, 911sc
I have always used my 'local' garage for MoT - although not that local as it's half an hour each way. As I am due to move later this year I broke with tradition and 'gambled' on using Halfords.

Why gamble? Well, I thought a discounted MoT would definitely mean additional things required for a pass.

Should not have worried. £29.99 rather than £54.99. Passed with no advisories.

Result!

Sometimes I wonder if I am a little too cynical for my own good...!

I've never had a problem with a "cheaper" MOT, but I have had a problem where a tester seemed to take a dislike to my car and produced pages of failures and advisories. - So I had it retested elsewhere and only needed to get a couple of things fixed.

I have always used my 'local' garage for MoT - although not that local as it's half an hour each way. As I am due to move later this year I broke with tradition and 'gambled' on using Halfords.

Why gamble? Well, I thought a discounted MoT would definitely mean additional things required for a pass.

Should not have worried. £29.99 rather than £54.99. Passed with no advisories.

Result!

Nice one.

I remember asking my local guy once if they were checked on results, and if too many passes flagged something in the system. I was told it was the other way, and failures by people similar to the ones you mention, possibly to be used as a sales ploy, were resulting in a lot of check tests by VOSA. Not a bad thing really. ;)

Sometimes I wonder if I am a little too cynical for my own good...!

Not just you... :thumb:

I generally use Kwik-Fit for the Vito and C Class - there's one nearby, and only £27 when booked online.

The SL only costs £10 at M-B Guildford so that goes there. Never had any issues at all.

I had these concerns with my first rusty old Fords. A backstreet indy would pass it, and Halfords failed in on absolutely anything they could, so I steered clear since. Until my W204 needed an MOT, I took it to halfords as I knew it was faultless, and it passed with no advisories.

This MOT though was from the Merc dealership, same price, £29.99, passed with no advisories and was washed for me upon it's return, gave me time to finish my freshly ground coffee and biscuits. :D

For years now I have traded £20 of tesco clubcard vouchers for £60 of Halfords vouchers and paid for my MoT's (both cars) with those - you have to pay full price £54 and do not get change from the £60, but it still means an MoT for £20. Never had a problem with fails, only advisories - and despite doing nothing about the advisories, I get different ones each year!

I've always thought that a little odd. - If my brake pipes were showing corrosion last year, why aren't they this year?

It's slightly different when they tell you your tyre is unevenly worn, but still within the limits, and next year say the tie rod end is worn.

The testing station is regulated by a government body, they face losing a valuable income stream by testing this regulation.

I'll take my chances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom