Halfords Pro socket set at £99

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boomtings

Car
95 e320 cabriolet ,93 300te_24v Turbotechnics
Halfords have a 150 socket/spanner set with a lifetime warranty at £99.

they seem to be high quality for an amateur like me and the life time warranty makes it seem a sweet deal.

any views or other recomendations?.

I have used them quite a bit. Very good for the price and even better if you wait for the January reductions....

There showing as reduced from £199 to £99 at the moment, From other old threads it appears they also sell at £150 , so i assume they put the price up to £200 recently so they can offer a better Bulls*it discount!

I dont know if I can wait till January as ive lost to many sockets in my current set.

You rarely get them under £99 without a trade card

I have 3 of these and they are excellent VFM

Im gone to INVEST in a set!

I wouldnt buy that set for one reason only, all the sockets are mutlipoint, ie 12 point and are a right pain especially on damaged fasteners, you want sockets with 6 points as they dont damage the nuts or bolts you are undoing.

Also the sockets look like they have quite a large taper on the leading edge of the entry side of the socket so wont work on really shallow nuts and difficult to reach ones.

I dont own any 12 point sockets at home or at work.

Old boy told me this 20 years ago and its good advice, in fact quite a few of the sockets i still use at work are 20 years old and are all 6 point.

Plus you wont even use a lot of the stuff in the kit.

I know thats more than one reason but you get my drift:D

Lynall

+1
I have both 6 sided and 12 sided Britool sets; the 6 sided 3/8" long reach are the most useful set - and only about 6 of the sizes are used normally.
So the point of a 100+ size set is....?

I do agree with Lynall, but...

Back in 2002 I bought the Halfords set and quite honestly can't fault it. The case design has changed a few times over that time but the contents haven't.

The smaller size sockets (with the 1/4" drive) have 6 point heads, whereas the rest (apart from the impact set) are 12 point. The only times I've had problems so far have been when the fasteners are already damaged. The one observation I'd make is that you end up with a set of imperial sockets that you're unlikely to have a use for, although I've (embarrassing bit) been known to whack these onto damaged bolts with a hammer to aid removal.:ban:

I use the set for 'hobby' use including transplanting engines, all service work and rebuild type operations and can't fault it for quality. I also bought a hex head set of impact sockets and some additional (cheap) extensions.

Bought the same set for a friend who helped me the first time I rebuilt an engine - he's much keener than I am and uses his stuff pretty much every other day. The Halfords guarantee even replaced his plastic case when that broke, which I wouldn't necessarily have expected.

Ian.

I have one of these sets that I bought around 4 years ago.

It has been invaluable to me and young ringway who is a dirt bike/BMX/skateboard nutcase.

IIRC I got mine on offer for £100 and I love it. :thumb:

I have the three individual trays containing these tools and can vouch for the quality . Besides the smaller sockets being hexagonal , so are the larger 'deep' sockets and , like Snap On , the surfaces are convex so that they grip fasteners halfway along the flats and not at the corners . Even though the sets I have contain many more components than the 150 piece set , and I have added a fair few extras , there can be very few items I have not used at one time or another .

I bought my Nephew the £99 set for his 21st a couple of years back and can reccomend it as very good value .

I have four of these sets for general site use. They are very good quality and there are some 6 sided flank drive sockets in it.

Plus a lifetime guarantee on the pro range, just take any item back for exchange and no quibble.

Plus a lifetime guarantee on the pro range, just take any item back for exchange and no quibble.

Moreover , all Halfords branches stock rebuild kits for the ratchets , should you flex your muscles a bit too hard .

Hmmm. I paid £199 for these a couple of weeks ago, although I did get a tool chest that is supposed to retail for £150 free with them.

Very pleased so far. It's my 2nd set, after my brother lost most of the previous while i was at Uni back in '96

Ive got loads of snap on tools and agreed its very very good gear but the prics are now up in the stratosphere.

Also got quite a bit of halfords, clarke fom machine mart tools and whilst the quality is not the same the fact its only %20 of the price of snap-on and some stuff is 12months warranty and some of the halfords is lifetime makes it the obvious choice.

Bought some tools from machine mart the other day £105 the lot and roughly worked out would have cost nearer £750 from snap-on van

Flex head 1/2" drive ratchet cost £21.50, snap on one i have was £100 cash so probably £125 so thats six for the price of one, and before you mention quality the snap-on ratchet has been replaced once as the chrome came of and another new one is coming as the chrome is coming off again! plus i also broke it the other day to add insult to injury.
Bear in mind its my best ratchet so only use it when slippage would hurt me if it failed.

Lynall

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom