Halloween

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Anybody else suffer from pint-sized vandals attacking their vehicles last night?

We're not particularly into Halloween, and weren't really aware of the date. Got the OH's parents staying, so not impressed by persistent ringing of the doorbell at about 8:30. Large group of small children on the doorstep (a couple wearing masks), asked them politely to go since the dogs were going ballistic and the kids were in bed.

Came out later to find our Audi's windscreen covered with what looked like cement (dried-on flour and water, I guess). Wipers wouldn't shift it, managed to scrape some off with a CD case but it still looked a right mess this morning. Luckily they'd not touched my R129 (which had a cover on it), or our guests' German-reg. W203. But I saw a couple of other cars down the road that had been 'done' when I drove to the station.

How come parents who need to drive their kids half a mile to school in case they get abducted are quite happy to let them go round in the pitch dark banging on complete strangers' doors asking for sweets? :mad:

I sympathise.
But why not just give them a small chocolate bar to get rid of the little b*st*rds?

My 3 year old was deeply upset when I gave some trick or treaters some chocolate last night. He asked me why I was giving them his sweets.......:p

BTB 500 said:
How come parents who need to drive their kids half a mile to school in case they get abducted are quite happy to let them go round in the pitch dark banging on complete strangers' doors asking for sweets? :mad:

Good point. Although I suspect a good many of the children that are driven to school for fear of abduction won't be out playing tricks - it's all the others!!

Anyone else notice that some kids look gutted if it's not money they get? Kids these days, eh? :rolleyes:

They started calling more than two weeks ago!! The wife bought a huge - and I mean huge - bag of sweets and chocolates, and we only had one lot last night? Looks like I'll gave to eat them... :devil:

We had them come around last night some we ignored and some we answered the door too,and gave them 10p each,Luckily didn't have any bother off anyone.As the years go by there seems to be less and less kids going around these days.5 years ago it was every night for 2 weeks on the run up to halloween,This year its only been last night.

last year we had loads ringing the bell, this year none. Perhaps it had something to do with the conversation that went something like

Question

"trick or treat?"

Response

"sod off or hosepipe?"

:D

Andy

We just ignore them. When they see us moving around inside and not answering the door, they get the message.

When I was a kid, I was nice. Kids these days are all tiresome, noisy, irritating and in the way.

Grr

You could conveniently be chopping some steak when they knock and come to the door with a 12 inch butcher knife streaked with blood ....

And then say 'Trick' when they ask ..... :rolleyes:

Don't reckon they'd stick around long .....

Last night I had loads knock on the door. Knew a majority of them as I live on a block which is full of young couples with wee kids. All seriously little kids with parents with them as well. Some "yummy mummies" dressed up too which was nice !

Door knocking stopped before 8pm as they'd all be in bed !
Had no problems or any old(er) kids knocking on the door at all.

Seems that they're all into Halloween around my way. Not that much of a problem as it's good to chat to all the parents !

Several years ago, I did answer the door to some of these little, er... darlings, and they said "Trick or treat". No question mark, beacuse they didn't know it was supposed to be a question. I reckon they just assumed that when you say 'Trick or treat' to a stranger, that stranger gives you sweets.

Well I didn't. I said "Sorry, I've got nothing in, so it'll have to be a trick then." They said "Oh" and looked at each other. Then they looked back at me, and one of them put her finger in her mouth and said "Well turn around then.", so I turned my back on them for a few seconds. When I turned back, they had run off.

Boy, was I tricked good and proper! :rolleyes:

Last year there were "youths" knocking at the door in hoodies with no costumes, not really trick or treat is it? I told them to get lost! Same goes for anyone turning up on the wrong day!

This year I simply didn't answer the door, although my doorbell doesn't work and I can't hear people knocking on the door unless I'm next to it ;)

nickg said:
I sympathise.
But why not just give them a small chocolate bar to get rid of the little b*st*rds?

My 3 year old was deeply upset when I gave some trick or treaters some chocolate last night. He asked me why I was giving them his sweets.......:p

Problem is there were about 10 of them, and as we hadn't got anything in specially it WOULD have meant finding some of our kids' (aged 4 & 6) sweets and handing them over.

Just down on the main road 2 mins walk from us a Police community support fiesta or some type was parked up (full livery apart from blue lights).

Main road and no sign of officer and was about 7.45pm and yes.....

it had been well egged on the front windscreen... no respect some kids and they get it from the parents.
:mad:

blackscooby said:
Some "yummy mummies" dressed up too which was nice !

Door knocking stopped before 8pm as they'd all be in bed !
Had no problems or any old(er) kids knocking on the door at all.

Ahhh, the pleasures of Chesures, ...I mean Cheshire!!

Bobby Dazzler said:
Ahhh, the pleasures of Chesures, ...I mean Cheshire!!
Ah I'm a Yorkshireman through and through... Yummy Mummies have to make do until I see a good old "BlackFace"..... then I'm truely happy... Baaaaa
(It's a breed of sheep BTW)

lochawe.jpg

A whole night of entertainment here... Now where did I put my velcro wellies ;)

We had a few, but they where small children with parents which was good, gave them some sweets and they all said thankyou :) . We went out at about 8 but all the cars were fine when we got home.
Some of the neighbours put pumkins out too.

I'm a few stories* up and it's private land, so even if someone did come to the bottom door (the entrance isn't obvious anyway) I wouldn't hear them. Someone would physically have to let them in the building.

* Storey - storeies? ó.O Storeys?

Not if they were Michael Myers .....

I took my 5 year old son out in his outfit,pumpkin in hand, and only realy knocked on doors of houses that are obviously into the whole halloween thing because of the scarey decs in the window or outside, didnt have anyone not look amused to see him,,mind you he is the cutest 5 year old youve ever seen and hes got the gift of the gab.
I must admit,groups of teenagers knocking at my door would get my back up. i guess its the same as christmas with carol singers,,id be quite happy with a few cute kids making an effort to sing but a gang of chavs would be another matter.:devil:

andy_k said:
"sod off or hosepipe?"

I just smile and hold the hosepipe in my hands. It works a treat! you dont even have to talk as the kid back away. one day they will find out its not connected to anything, just in a coil behind the door.

my mates tell me to give them bag of crisps! why? i dont go round their houses do i? they only come round to mine coz they think they will get something!

I often dont answer the door either. Mind you, lights will be off on the 4th, and I will be looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom