Halogen Lamp Ban - September.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m80

MB Enthusiast
Car
Viano ex long, 651 2014. S211 646 2009 (till the Gov't drones blow 'em off the road)
From September the sale of halogen lamps is top be banned.
I'm looking but can't see if there is any dispensation for cars.
In some specific instances there are allowances.

If it includes cars there is going to be some issues.

It's aimed at stopping those who still use those "50w" spot lights that reach the temperature of the sun.

I think Fluorescents are due to follow... probably because of the crap they have to use in them so no bad thing.

Done my bit, all warning lights in cluster are now LED after i performed major surgery on it with a soldering iron.

Done my bit, all warning lights in cluster are now LED after i performed major surgery on it with a soldering iron.

All in the interest of saving the planet, surely? :D

On a more serious note, all this re tooling and production of energy saving things in general must use some sort of energy. Take an off shore turbine for instance, how much energy has that used to produce and install, how many years for that to pay back. 😳. Save the planet, save my ass, don't worry to much about the ice caps melting its been going on for yeaaaaars, ask any one from Doggerland 😄

Last edited:
Reactions: m80
Yes Tonye, the turbine blades I believe are not recyclable, made of fibreglass(?) and they wear out!!!

I don't know why anyone would use halogen bulbs anywhere in their house - they're so inefficient! I haven't had incandescent bulbs in my house for many years and over the last few years I've replaced them all with smart bulbs.

I don't know why anyone would use halogen bulbs anywhere in their house - they're so inefficient! I haven't had incandescent bulbs in my house for many years and over the last few years I've replaced them all with smart bulbs.
Well years and years ago before the creation of superior LED, and even compact fluorescent (that has limitations as to use) that was the best available.
Diachronic lamps had value in that the light was directional with choice of beam pattern, so could be more efficient because, and it offered greater efficiency than plain 'ole non halogen filament lamps.

So now as these lamps pop their clogs I've to replace fittings, and even controllers, and some times dimmers. And the halogen lamps in landfill have saved our planet.
I'll bet if the faceless bureaucrats that fly off their meetings to decide how we should live had used Skype instead it would have saved more of the planet.

Well years and years ago before the creation of superior LED, and even compact fluorescent (that has limitations as to use) that was the best available.
Diachronic lamps had value in that the light was directional with choice of beam pattern, so could be more efficient because, and it offered greater efficiency than plain 'ole non halogen filament lamps.

So now as these lamps pop their clogs I've to replace fittings, and even controllers, and some times dimmers. And the halogen lamps in landfill have saved our planet.
I'll bet if the faceless bureaucrats that fly off their meetings to decide how we should live had used Skype instead it would have saved more of the planet.

Yes, obviously I understand why people started to use them - they were pretty magic at the time. But we've known for years that they produce more heat than they do light. In my last house all I had to go was get 240v LED versions with the same fittings, I didn't need to change anything else. I've never had halogen bulbs in my current house.

I changed out all the 12V halogen spots on the catenary lighting system in my man cave for LEDs a while back. Unfortunately I also had to replace the toroidal transformer for a LED driver (no biggie but extra cost). I now have nice cool running crisp 'daylight' lighting in the workshop; the only downside is that I no longer get a tan when sitting at the workbench :cool:🌞

It's not always possible to find a LED substitute.

The lights on my Neff hood extractor won't work with any of the G4 LED bulbs I tried - so I had to stick with Halogen. There are some other lamps in my house that won't work with LED, for a variety of different reasons.

Reactions: Ted
threads like this always bring out the meat and potato thinkers.

The continuation of Van Helsing coach candles in automotive lighting perplexes me .

The continuation of Van Helsing coach candles in automotive lighting perplexes me .

Are there many new cars sold these days that don't have LED headlamps as standard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom