Halogen upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Coggy79

Car
Cla 200 shooting brake
Hi
Anyone upgraded their h15 halogen drl to led if so how and which bulbs. Also what's the best upgraded halogen h7 and h15 cheers

Regarding the H7 headlight bulbs, this has been covered many times, plus I have my own experience. Osram Nightbreaker Ultimate is always highly recommended, even over the NB Lasers. I have UL in my dips, which are on full time and were installed 2+ years ago. I have Lasers in the mains and I find them no better than UL's, just more expensive. Others appear better in tests, but bulb life is not so good. I also have NB UL's in my 968 cab, and will stick with them.

^
Ultimate - Unlimited .

This is true the previous Auto Express H7 test results were...

1. Philips RacingVision
2. Ring Xenon130
3. GE Megalight Ultra +130
4. Bosch Gigalight Plus 120
5. Osram Night Breaker Unlimited
6. Philips X-tremeVision +130
7. Twenty20 daylight120
8. Osram Night Breaker Laser
9. M-tech Powertec Platinum

With ONB Laser well down the order .

However we now have a 150% version Laser Next Generation .

But still not as consistently good as Ring Xenon 130 .

Phillips Racing Vision test winner is flawed with a 200h short life .

Think I will stick with the night breakers as I still want to see down the road rather than have a bright white light. Just been looking at some cla compatible h15 led with reviews from cla owners . Look good in drl mode too. I'll see in time but the h7s are first

Why do I always get Unlimited and Ultimate bassackwards or confused??:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Think I will stick with the night breakers as I still want to see down the road rather than have a bright white light. Just been looking at some cla compatible h15 led with reviews from cla owners . Look good in drl mode too. I'll see in time but the h7s are first

None of those bulbs are bright white , all warm white 3700 Kelvin max despite some wild marketing from a few .

Phillips Racing Vision test winner is flawed with a 200h short life .

If you read the specs most of those bulbs have a similar rated lifespan. I think its just the nature of how long a wire filament can last.

Some are near double the life though. .

Standard Halogen bulbs are rated as 300/550h, high-performance bulbs can be rated as low as 100/200h, i.e. less than half.

(Bulbs life is measured as 37% failure rate / 95% failure rate)

This is because the filament burns brighter so does not last as long.

markjay said:
This is because the filament burns brighter so does not last as long.

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long....

I’m using the Bosch Gigalights.

So buy Ring Xenon 130 or 150

I don't know what the 130 is rated at but 150 are 350 hrs .

My unlimiteds in the dip beam are on full time (I do not have DRL's) and have so far lasted about 2 years and 15-18k miles.

Assuming they achieve higher output through overrunning the filament then the life vs brightness equation is far from linear. From the graph approximately 5% more voltage gives 20% more light and life is reduced to under 60% of the original value.

lamplife.gif

Anyone know which gives out the whitest light ie similar to HID/Xenon? I am looking for a set for a friend but the marketing spiel vs reviews puts me off.

Philips diamond vision the whitest from watching vids and reviews 5000k apparently

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom