Hammerite OK for brake disk centres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
To avoid the usual (cosmetic) rusty hub problem I'd like to paint the centre of my new brake disks. Can I get away with normal silver Hammerite for this? Not sure how hot the centre of the disk gets ... the wheel it's bolted to must act as a pretty good heat sink.

I went into Halfords last night and the only brushable paint they had was Hammerite. I've used high-temp paints in the past, but they've always been aerosols (and black, although other colours must be available). Obviously since they're on the car spraying would require a fair bit of masking off and would take a lot longer than brushing.

I've found some posts here saying Hammerite is OK for this, and others saying it's not! :confused:

I was discussing this with Malcolm at Jay's GTG at the weekend as I too have that problem - he said he used Hammerite on the rears but a high temp paint on the fronts - can't remember the make ...damn..and can't PM him to find out...damn...

I have used Hammerite on my c class is very good, and i would say is similar to the high temp sprays you get with regards to the time it stays on.

I just covered all the bits i didnt want to paint and brushed it on, i think it tales a few hours to dry but it transforms the calipers, almost as good as my SL's but not quiet ;)

Raj

Ive used it too and on calipers, worked ok , mine was from a spray can.

Bazzle

It's fine, Bill. High temperature paint doesn't cure until it gets very hot - the discs naturally won't reach this temperature so you'd need to bake them - not the best of ideas!

Many thanks guys, looks like I'll get brushing later then :)

Maybe trying the barbque paint this weekend......Anyone know if it is gloss ?

Ta Ian

I already have Halfords caliper paint in Silver, which I used for the E55, and I bought some VHT paint, but was matt black.

Thus looking for that black gloss look.......

Resisting painting them red :)

Ian

I used hammerite on mine and it peeled off in a couple of weeks, so i bought some caliper paint from ebay which was brillant it came in a little alloy container complete with brush, it did all 4 discs and calipers with 2 coats and i still have 1/4 of it left.

I've had the silver Hammerite on my disk hubs since last summer and it's been fine.

I've had the halfords red caliper paint since... oh, at least 2002...

Looks black as I haven't cleaned the calipers in ages, but it did look quite good back then when I still had skimpy alloys :p

Nice :)

But have you thought about using a corrosion neutraliser that will turn the rusty bits black?

just my £0.02!

I have heard that Hammerite has a component that can react with certain alloys- sort of galvanic corrosion effect-- unless you use the correct primer first ----but should be OK with steel or cast iron. You hear a lot about POR 15 paint on various forums but since it appears to iso cynanate based you would have to be very careful when applying it. http://www.holden.co.uk/displayProduct.asp?pCode=094.924

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom