Hand brake issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mgdave03

Car
C220 Sport estate
We have a Mercedes C220 amg Estate auto, the hand brake doesn’t seem to work and the car will pull off with it on, reading reviews it seems this is common and says that is how it is, but how does it pass an MOT if it doesn’t hold?

An MB parking brake is quite a small drum brake that operates inside the rear disc hub. They are not wonderfully effective at the best of times and need to be kept correctly adjusted. The MOT pass criteria for a parking brake is not that high so even an MB's in poor adjustment may pass.

Most cars will pull away with the handbrake on...the engine tends to be more powerful than the brakes...

I am under the impression that the handbrake will release when pulling away as part of the hill start feature. I am not sure that it has anything to do with inefficient brakes, rather that it is completely normal.
Previous Honda and Volvo also had this feature

Edit to add, this is for the electronic "hand brake"

We have a Mercedes C220 amg Estate auto, the hand brake doesn’t seem to work and the car will pull off with it on, reading reviews it seems this is common and says that is how it is, but how does it pass an MOT if it doesn’t hold?
My new to me E350 is just as rubbish. Either at service time, or when I have a look at the brakes myself, I'll set/get the brake set up properly. It's a fine line on the adjuster between adequate and rubbish in my experience. Have you had it looked at during a service? might only need adjusting so should be pretty inexpensive if having other work done at the same time.

What year car? Is it an S205?

Interesting this,in this age of electronic hand brakes,we have it seems drivers who have them are pulling away with them still on,I being a driver from the lever give it a big pull hand brake era,always flick the electronic hand off before I move off,what nobody has yet said is if they park the car on a hill and put the electronic hand brake on does it hold the car,also these hand brakes will release if you drive off with them on.

I've not come across an electric handbrake that doesn't release when the car drives away, although it's not instantaneous, so a slower pull away is advised if you're taking this approach. My handbrake on the w212 E350 is amazingly the rubbish foot brake/dash pull handle affair.

Interesting this,in this age of electronic hand brakes,we have it seems drivers who have them are pulling away with them still on,I being a driver from the lever give it a big pull hand brake era,always flick the electronic hand off before I move off,what nobody has yet said is if they park the car on a hill and put the electronic hand brake on does it hold the car,also these hand brakes will release if you drive off with them on.
While it is possible to drive off without releasing the electronic brake, I also flick it off before driving off unless I am on a hill.
I have never come across an electronic brake failing or not holding on an incline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom