Hand brake mounting on back plate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmerc220

Car
ML270cdi auto
Oh dear I was having problems with my hand brake holding the car. I called into my local garage and after inspecting the brakes, he told me the bad news. It would appear that the mounting brackets securing the brake had as he put it crumbled like biscuits. They managed to secure the brake to the back plate. However it is only a short term fix, it would appear that to replace you have to remove the big wheel bearings which is not a cheap job.
I wondered if anyone else has had this problem and if so the total cost of the repair.
Constructive comments would be appreciated.

The model is a 2002 CDI 220 auto estate.

Hi Keith I had a similar problem last week with my 320 CLK cabriolet both back plates had the dreaded wire worm we took the old one's off the hardest part being undoing the 3 allan bolts and they crumbled away there is a wealth of bushes ball joints etc on the back end none of which were giving any problem but I new once disturbed they would not go back without replacing so I simply cut through the 2 new plates with an angle grinder and bent and twisted them over the hub and bolted them up it worked a treat Chris

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, to save all the hassle my garage has made an alterations as to how they fitted to the back plate.

I bet that is what they did as I said in my reply the bushes and joints are not a problem until disturbed and then you are talking mega bucks oops just reread your reply you are saying they used the existing back plates modified yes mine were falling to bits so it was not possible

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom