Hand brake / Parking Brake replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joeward1

Car
e class
Hi all,

Anyone replaced there Hand brake / Parking brake. Mine seems to have bite the bullet. Foot pedal clicked down but doesnt stay pressed down. Hand to release the hand brake is loose and free. Looks like the end of the wire is still connected to the release aswell so mine might of broken in between the foot brake and hand release.

Many thanks

I have replaced the shoes and the cables from the wheels to the mechanism on my w211. Replacing parking brake shoes on an MB is not the hardest job in the world, but can be a bit fiddly with adjusting the pads through one of the wheel bolt holes. Replacing the cables and adjusting the mechanism is a major pita without a lift as it's right in the middle of the car, loads of under shields to remove, then the heat shields around the exhaust, and it's all kind of hidden above the exhaust. Trying to do it with the car on ramps in January isn't something I'd look forward to.

Before stripping your car down to bare metal, have a look at this old thread by my good self. Sadly the pictures have vanished into the ether, but the text and the one picture I managed to find may help.

There's a good chance the end of the Spring has jumped out of its slot in the Plastic Lever in the picture. The Release Spring may also need reseating as this could well be the cause of the floppy release handle. All this stuff is at the top of the parking brake pedal, you'll need to remove the lower fascia to gain access.

Parking_brake_annotated[1].jpg

Don't worry about the clicks. The clicker (you can see the teeth in the picture) is there purely to make noise. It serves no other purpose.

I would be looking at the release spring as the culprit. Did one today for the same issue.

Really appreciate the replys, Going to have a look today and see if i can work out if its what Stratman has said.

Thanks alot

Not a clue what im looking at. I have a video aswell which im trying to upload somewhere then onto here.

Attachments

• 20210117_113915.jpg
    20210117_113915.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 20210117_113927.jpg
    20210117_113927.jpg
    989.5 KB · Views: 22
From the video it looks like the release cable is stuck in the 'release' position. I'm basing this on the small release spring on the right hand side of the video being fully or even over extended. When the brake is on it should be contracted, like in the image I posted. Closer inspection makes me think the end of the main operating spring (labelled Spring in my image) isn't seated properly in the plastic lever, it looks to have slipped out and is jamming the lever in the 'release' position.

Make certain the end of the spring is in its slot in the plastic lever.

Thanks for looking at that for me. I see what you mean now after watching and pausing and flicking to your picture about 4-5 times. Im going to have another go in a minute. Would it be just a case of using some thin nose pliers to pull out and re-sit the spring?

That's how I did it 👍

I also put a slight bend in it to stop it jumping out again.

Well that was easy, i levered the spring up and it popped back into place. Had to put a small bend in like you said to do as it left abit loose in where it should go. All sorted now though, all working again. Stratman your a life saving. The wallet is happy :)

thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom