Hand-brake warning light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
On the W202, since a few weeks, I've been having the handbrake warning light randomly come on while driving, blinking a bit, then going off.

My first thought was "hand-brake is worn" so yesterday I replaced the shoes (and rear disks/pads while I was at it). It still came one once or twice while driving... (oh, and I couldn't find any sensors to replace in/near the shoes)

The strange thing is, it's just the light coming on, not the beeper saying that you're moving with your handbrake on - hence it can't be the pedal's sensor...

Any ideas as to what this may be?

M.

i dnt think there is a wear sensor for the shoes!
the light will be the switch on foot pedal!
loose connection?????

Last edited:
There's got to be a switch near where the parking brake pedal operates.

That's if you've not confused the parking brake light with the brake wear warning - ie worn front pads etc?

Will

does the light have broken lines round the exclamation mark?
or solid lines?

To answer questions - no, I don't think there are sensors for the handbrake (well, foot-pedal handbrake :p). At least, there aren't any that I could find.

It's definetly the handbrake light, not the brake wear light.

Will try to take a picture later on today - can't remember if it's solid or broken lines.

M.

i would go with the switch on the pedal! ill have a look at mine later !

Yep - there's got to be a switch on the parking brake pedal. Can't be too complicated to get too?

Going back to the OP, AFAIK there isn't any audible warning of the parking brake being left on for the W202 (certainly not early ones). That's what the light is for :)

Will

Yep - there's got to be a switch on the parking brake pedal. Can't be too complicated to get too?

Going back to the OP, AFAIK there isn't any audible warning of the parking brake being left on for the W202 (certainly not early ones). That's what the light is for :)

Will

there is! both mine do! 1994 and 1997

Brake fluid level low?

Fluid levels are good, and there definetly is an audible warning for the handbrake on my 1996 W202... will check the switch in an hour or so.... I need to defrost first!

M.

+1 for fluid level low or dodgy float.
Try by-passing the sensor.

Hi,
The handbrake light doubles for the low brake fluid warning light, on both the pre-face lift and facelift W202.

Hi,
The handbrake light doubles for the low brake fluid warning light, on both the pre-face lift and facelift W202.

I believe this applies to most if not ALL car manufacturers.

Are you on a hill when the warning light comes on ? Also, if the discs & pads are worn then the fluid level will drop excessively when the brake pedal is pressed. The fluid level will still look good when parked on a level road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom