Hand brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

packard352

Car
Mercedes CLK 320
Ugh, I have both the small red brake symbol on with the messages,
Parking brake - release brake appearing in the main warning window.

The parking brake was neither on, and therefore did not need to be released, though I pulled parking release anyway with no difference.

Thanks for advice on correct battery, now installed.

Questions; would changing the battery cause the messages to appear? Or would it more likely be an issue with the parking brake cable... or the parking brakes have locked the brakes 'on?'

The car seems to roll okay, which makes me hesitate about the brakes being locked on.

Thanks

Try hooking your left foot under the pedal and pulling it up. The switch is activated by the pedal which, if things aren't adjusted and lubricated to perfection, can fail to fully retract.

Try hooking your left foot under the pedal and pulling it up. The switch is activated by the pedal which, if things aren't adjusted and lubricated to perfection, can fail to fully retract.
More by luck I think, but did exactly that whilst driving a few miles up the road and then pulled on the park release handle to feel a slight further release on the park peddle and then relief from the noise and all the red warning signs disappear by magic.
Clearly, further investigation and or replacement/ adjustment will be required

I don't know how your car is arranged, but on the assumption MB use the same system as my C class, you may well find under the rear seat base an inspection panel which, when removed, will reveal the thingy (technical term) which turns one cable from the pedal into two, one to each wheel. Make sure it moves freely, WD40, 3-in-1 or similar may help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom