Handbagge item

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Easy answer No, they will confiscate it at security, they are paranoid about things like this.

nope, nail file, scissors.....need i say more! :) safer to stick it in the baggage

I never fly with hold baggage........

Then no, if it's imperative you carry it, you'll either have to check your luggage or post it to destination.

Security is very tight, I have to carry medical equipment with me wherever I go and I daren;t risk checking it in, so I have to strip it down completely at every point of entry/exit....Coupled with this my other half has MS, is in wheelchair (which now needs to be completely dismantled and scanned) and is carrying hyperdermic needles and drugs, we're the worst nightmare to be queueing behind at departure lounge security!

Far too many pointy bits. I've even had a set of allen keys confiscated out of my briefcase, although I suspect that it was simply because the security bod wanted a set of allen keys.

Strangely enough, no-one has ever questioned the Pilot roller ball pen I always carry in my pocket, which I could quite easily have someone's eye out with..

Cheers,

Gaz

I lost an 8mm spanner at the gates and was very surprised - then subsequently noticed that half the plane interior was held together with 8mm bolts. :doh:

I'll tell you how stupid this whole thing is, our company has some freebie giveaways which are very nice swiss army knives, problem is actually getting them out of the UK. A big no no in hand luggage put them in your hold luggage and immediately they go throught the x ray the case gets trashed and the knives robbed.

Solution I DHL them to my collegaue in Germany, he meets me in frankfurt as we are getting the same flight, he has 20 swiss army knives in his hand luggage goes straight through security in Frankfurt, yes they spot them he explains what they are no problem back in his carry on. Its just the UK that are so an*l about this sort of thing.

British airports and jobsworths the scurge of society :D

Yet I walked through Terminal 1 security (the usual Rosa Klebs barking orders to remove your shoes, belts, dignity etc) with two discharged shotgun cartridges in my shooting coat, which I had forgotten about. Helsinki airport on the other hand found them straight away, which is when I remembered having them, and they gave me an earful.

Just goes to show.

I lost an 8mm spanner at the gates and was very surprised - then subsequently noticed that half the plane interior was held together with 8mm bolts. :doh:

Take me to Cuba or I'll undo your plane......:D

How about this one.. not so long ago I flew Gulf Air to the Far East..via Bahrain... a circuitous route to be sure.. anyway I was upgraded .. lucky me and they gave a travel bag pack to everyone in business.. lo and behold it contained a nail clipper... when I went through transit security in Bahrain they confiscated it..
Probably some overzealous recycling going on there... methinks..

Flew into Belfast some years ago. Pat down at security, automatics cocked and leveled at me as I withdraw a half consumed tube of extra strong mints!
Exactly the same size as a shotgun cartridge.

Clean undies required!!...

Low cost carrier.

I much prefer to fly in planes where the WHOLE interior is held together.:D

This is exactly why I refuse to fly anymore .

About 5 years ago , at Bournemouth 'International Airport' they tried to confiscate a very old Rabone tape measure which had been my grandfather's and was of sentimental value . When I refused to give it up and was told I could not board with it , I said 'fine , I'll get the train home' ; then they said as my hold luggage had already gone on , it would have to be taken back off - in the end they allowed me to go back out , buy a padded envelope and post the item home , delaying the plane by some 15 or 20 minutes as it was about to board as we were going through .

It is ridiculous that they 'confiscate' such items at the gates without having a supply of packing materials etc on hand which would allow peoples' property to either be posted home or , if on an outward journey , to be checked in with a receipt given and retrieved on return .

All of this ludicrous 'security nonsense' makes me so angry that I just don't fly anymore , I don't get any such hassle with ferries or trains ( and don't travel beyond Europe so don't miss out ) . A plane is just a glorified bus or train - how dare they treat the paying customers as criminals - if terrorists want to cause loss of life and destruction they can just as easily set off bombs in subway stations or derail express trains - so all this nonsense does is to inconvenience the paying public . If there was an alternative airline that did not have all this inconvenience I would choose them over the rest .

Flew into Belfast some years ago. Pat Down at security, automatics cocked and leveled at me as I withdraw a half consumed tube of extra strong mints!

Obviously you're a well connected guy knowing the security guys by their names...:D:D

Flew into Belfast some years ago. Pat down at security, automatics cocked and leveled at me as I withdraw a half consumed tube of extra strong mints!

This is exactly why I refuse to fly anymore .

About 5 years ago , at Bournemouth 'International Airport' they tried to confiscate a very old Rabone tape measure which had been my grandfather's and was of sentimental value . When I refused to give it up and was told I could not board with it , I said 'fine , I'll get the train home' ; then they said as my hold luggage had already gone on , it would have to be taken back off - in the end they allowed me to go back out , buy a padded envelope and post the item home , delaying the plane by some 15 or 20 minutes as it was about to board as we were going through .

It is ridiculous that they 'confiscate' such items at the gates without having a supply of packing materials etc on hand which would allow peoples' property to either be posted home or , if on an outward journey , to be checked in with a receipt given and retrieved on return .

All of this ludicrous 'security nonsense' makes me so angry that I just don't fly anymore , I don't get any such hassle with ferries or trains ( and don't travel beyond Europe so don't miss out ) . A plane is just a glorified bus or train - how dare they treat the paying customers as criminals - if terrorists want to cause loss of life and destruction they can just as easily set off bombs in subway stations or derail express trains - so all this nonsense does is to inconvenience the paying public . If there was an alternative airline that did not have all this inconvenience I would choose them over the rest .

Interesting point and I can appreciate you're feeling cheesed off - BUT one bomb on the train / ferry doesn't guarantee killing EVERYONE on it - on a plane it does.

I'm quite happy for over zealous security when flying....but then maybe I'm in the minority.

I have always believed There are far too many people involved in doing the checks. It tends to dilute the care each takes. I reckon the last guy to do the security check should board the plane with you, that should focus the attention!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom