Handbrake cables

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seanalf

Car
C200 CDI Sport 4dr
Hi all. I'm looking to fix the sticking handbrake cable on my 2012 C200. It seems to be the centre cable that's the issue (lack of use no doubt). I'm told the cable comes in 3 parts, I'm assuming 2 are the cables that run to the rear wheels, the othe up to the pedal or a link to the pedal? Can anyone advise on the right part numbers or a good diagram source for me to check it on?

The squirt of oil did nothing, it looks as if it is properly badgered. Wheel cable are fine.

So far I have two results:

TIA

Nice link, thanks!

A 204 420 10 85 for the rear centre section. Is it worth replacing the front section as well?

Just to close this off. I persevered with the pedal on Monday. Used WD40 on the cable first, spray and soak, let it run down for a few mins and pumped the pedal with the release handle held for a few mins. Waited, then repeated.

Managed to squeeze myself upside-down and did the same to the large spring attached to the pedal itself, did that 3 times and the pedal became easier and easier to move. Let it sit for a few mins and pumped again.

Pedal now releases perfectly and quickly, so a light oil to finish and all happy. Checked today after the frost, all good!

Jobs a guddun

Thank you for taking the trouble to come back and update. Too many people vanish once they have a solution and can't be bothered to share.

Managed to squeeze myself upside-down and did the same to the large spring attached to the pedal itself, did that 3 times and the pedal became easier and easier to move. Let it sit for a few mins and pumped again.

Pedal now releases perfectly and quickly, so a light oil to finish and all happy. Checked today after the frost, all good!
After reading this thread yesterday I did exactly the same job on E500, the pedal has not been retuning properly after dis-enagaging the handbrake release pull, the for the last 5 years .......

As it's not my daily driver I'd kept putting off sorting it thinking it would take for ever to do. Took about 20 mins and couple of squirts of spray grease.

After reading this thread yesterday I did exactly the same job on E500, the pedal has not been retuning properly after dis-enagaging the handbrake release pull, the for the last 5 years .......

As it's not my daily driver I'd kept putting off sorting it thinking it would take for ever to do. Took about 20 mins and couple of squirts of spray grease.

I'm glad my thread helped! Needs another spray today as the cold has got to a few bits that I couldn't, but it's 95% releasing now every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom