handbrake fail w208 ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrcgibb

Car
230 clk w208
Went to put foot on hand brake , and its gone right to the floor .
i can hear "something" moving under rear seats, when i push the pedal down .
Any idea what could have happened?.
could something have "gone" inside the hand brake shoes at the rear ?

Under the rear seat you'll find an inspection plate. Remove it and you'll see where the parking brake cable from the foot pedal connects to both rear brake assemblies. If you can hear something moving but the parking brake doesn't work, it's a good place to start.

My 208 was rocked by a transit van last year and held by the handbrake, however something broke inside one of the drums. I had it fixed as part of the MOT and the chap was able to weld it back into place so I assume it was something like a pivot point or spring holder (?) sorry can't remember the technical term, although I do remember him saying when he removed the rear disc some of the handbrake assembly had come away from the rest and was preventing the shoes meeting the drum, the pedal also felt sloppy, now it is rock solid. I guess if the inspection panel doesn't give up any clues removing the rear discs may be something else to check off the list. Sorry I can't be any more technically accurate but hopefully it will be something else you can rule out.

Good Luck
Graham

Cheers guy , took the rear seats out this morning , took plate off and found the 2 rear cable off the hooks , i rest the centre spool and put them back on , walla handbrake :thumb:

Now just need to get her through mot next month

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom