Handbrake question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tramper

Car
E Class
my W212 has a foot operated handbrake and I was wondering how many of you would use to park or simply put it into park.

Does it do any harm just to leave it in park as my wife's A Class has an auto handbrake I sometimes forget to put mine on.

On a level parking place, I would just put it in park.
On a hill, I'd put it in park and use the parking brake.
Many owners never use the parking brake.
They then go to the MOT test and find that the parking brake is partly-seized.
So - Better to use it sometimes.

Thanks didn't know if any transmission damage could occur just leaving it in park.

If you saw what Park actually does inside the transmission you'd always use the parking brake ;)

The P function on the transmission uses a "parking pawl" operating on a toothed wheel on the transmission output shaft thus locking it. Put too much stress on it and they can fracture or jam.
car-stuck-in-park-pawl.png

On my W204, my wife uses it, I don't!

If you saw what Park actually does inside the transmission you'd always use the parking brake ;)

That's exactly my worry - that some clumsy parker 'nudges' my parked car from behind and damages the transmission... :(

BTW I always use the parking brake but that's more out of habit than because it's always needed.

And for those of us who have brake drums on the inside of the rear discs.... from time to time, it's a good idea to drive off (slowly) with the parking brake partially applied, then fully release the parking brake after a few seconds.

A couple of revolutions with the parking brake partially/lightly applied will do wonders for the inner friction surface of the brake drum ;)

And for those of us who have brake drums on the inside of the rear discs.... from time to time, it's a good idea to drive off (slowly) with the parking brake partially applied, then fully release the parking brake after a few seconds.

A couple of revolutions with the parking brake partially/lightly applied will do wonders for the inner friction surface of the brake drum ;)
That's exactly what I have always done with this type of braking system.

That's exactly my worry - that some clumsy parker 'nudges' my parked car from behind and damages the transmission... :(

BTW I always use the parking brake but that's more out of habit than because it's always needed.
I've also found in the past that some transmissions (possibly not MB) can get stuck on the pawl if you let that hold the car. - My wife used to do this in our Skyline all the time; put it in park (which she only bothered to do because you can't get the key out if it's still in drive), leave the car, return and have to have someone bump it off the pawl so that she could get it back out of park.

I also always engage it; I just push harder on the pedal when it's on a hill, and less hard on the flat.

If I leave my x164 GL in neutral and apply the foot/hand brake the car automatically engages the transmission parking brake as soon as the engine is switched off. I thought most modern automatics were like this?

Parking brake first, THEN the Transmission Park.

The opposite when setting off.....

Exactly what I try and do. Let the parking brake take the strain then Park is a back up.

I hate that clonk when you move out of Park and the car has been resting on it. Quite pronounced in my old W211.

I think that we have covered this in the past and not one example of damage could be found.

I just leave in P on the flat and use the handbrake on a slope, it's not rocket science.

I use the parking brake every time. That's what it's there for.

I never used to use the parking brake at all but I started using it now and again in my first Merc and now always use it.

As above - parking brake first, Park second.

I too got the clonk in my first Merc sometimes when not using the parking brake.

...and also, use it or lose it!

On my W203, I always just used the 'park' on the transmission, however, as suggested, on MOT time it failed as the handbrake didn't work to the specification required. However, after getting it fixed, and MOT passed, I still never use the darn thing LOL

Parking brake first, THEN the Transmission Park.

The opposite when setting off.....
My variant...:

Firmly step on the brake pedal with left foot.

Put gear shift lever in P.

Fully engage parking break with right foot.

Lift both feet, remove key, and exit vehicle...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom