Handbrake ratchet problem 2006 C180

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lynall

MB Enthusiast
Car
The silver one.
Hi all ive a problem with friends car, handbrake would not hold on when applied by foot, strip lower dash find release cable adrift and where hes pulled it so hard spring dislodged!, that bits now working, but i cannot get the foot pedal to stay down, the ratchet clicks as pedal is pushed, then when taking your foot off back up the pedal comes.
So tried new ratchet its apparently an oddball one grey as opposed to the normal black.
Messed around again today and i cant get my head around how the release handle is attached to the plastic ratchet, to actually release it?
Parts diagram shows the plastic ratchet, little black pin and a washer and er thats it!
Any help really appreciated, frustrated beyond belief, i hate it when i dont understand how something works.

Lynall

Right ive looked at my wifes handbrake and as its a std w203 it has the black ratchet, and works fine, i cant suss out the sport one at all, i think there may be some sort of link rod down to the plastic ratchet but cant be 100 precent.
Any ideas?
Someone els must have had this problem?

Lynall

One my CL the plastic ratchet broke some time ago, hand brake still works but no click click sound passed the mot OK as well, in short the plastic bit has no bearing on how it operates,

HTH
Paul S.

pstock said:
One my CL the plastic ratchet broke some time ago, hand brake still works but no click click sound passed the mot OK as well, in short the plastic bit has no bearing on how it operates,

HTH
Paul S.

Pauk
Thanks for the reply,the handbrake works but as soon as you release the pedal it comes of on its own as the ratchet does not hold it, the reason is somehow the ratchet is being told to release and i havent a clue what it it!
Im beginning to think its the actual mechanism at fault

Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom