Handing back a PCP vehicle without MB glass...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJM

Car
2015 E63 AMG SALOON :)
Hi Everyone.
I've noticed some scratches on 3 of my side windows (which were caused by an ice scraper!) and I was wondering what would happen if I handed my car back after my PCP deal if I used glass from somewhere else?
Would they really notice that the glass didn't have the small MB Star on it? The glass is still made my Pilkington and would obviously match the remaining windows but I'm just weighing up cost options...
Am I being paranoid or has anyone else experienced something similar?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers!

They would never notice in a million years!

Rather depends who picks the car up. I've had one experience of handing back a pcp car, and I have to say it was pretty ropey. They tried to say that lots of things were wrong, iirc to the tune of around £500.00. Fortunately I was able to rebuff their nonsense, not least because a tyre that they said was below legal limit was about a month old, and I was able to prove it. On the day, takes lots of pics, and also, when signing their "condition sheet" clearly mark parts that you do not agree with.

Hth.

The quality of their inspectors appears to be patchy. The one who looked at my wifes CLC even used a paint gauge.
He then said they would not take it back unless I removed the glass tinting.
When I came out of the garage with a hammer he asked what I was doing and I said I was going to remove the tinted glass. We then had a bit of a debate !
The car had factory fitted privacy glass, an MB option on the CLC so he then simply noted that on his report. There were 2 lightly kerbed wheels but MB Finance accepted that and the apparently "illegal" tints.

I once handed back a company car with a dent in the roof. The dealer tried to charge me for it until I showed him the delivery note from 2 years previously with the dent marked on it, and signed by the same man................

(the same dealer where a lady sales person, showing me the controls of another company car I was collecting, started the engine before checking it wasn't in gear. It was unfortunately parked outside the showroom, very close to the showroom window, with pre-delivery cars parked in the showroom. Result? 3 new cars, including mine, with rather badly damaged paintwork, and a huge showroom window needing replacement. Apparently the lady left shortly afterwards.)

Two weeks ago my VW Touareg was collected following VF Finance arranged inspection. Nothing more recorded than a few light scratches (Flat black paintwork and not thru paint), a slight dent in rear bumper where I over did it reversing onto a trailer hitch and a couple of light stone chips on the bonnet...all consistent with a car of it's age and mileage according to the Fair wear and tear leaflet they sent me.

Yesterday I received a bill for machine polishing the fuel filler cap damaged by bird lime- £48, Repair and refinishing of a dent in the O/S front door- £240 and £48 for touching up and polishing stone chips on the wing. None of these items were reported on the inspection which was carried out in light and dry conditions. I am now looking forward to their response to my dispute.

I have the appraisal report, they didn't charge me for any of the items recorded :dk:

How in the first place does an ice scraper scratch the glass ?????

Are the scratches all vertical like in the picture below?

Dec
Picture source… Question Vertical scratches noticed after window tinting
P1010009.jpg

Rub some dw40 on scratches. It will help disguise the scratches. Most people use this method on stone chips on glass to get MOT without replacing the window ;)

Two weeks ago my VW Touareg ...

Yesterday I received a bill for machine polishing the fuel filler cap damaged by bird lime- £48, Repair and refinishing of a dent in the O/S front door- £240 and £48 for touching up and polishing stone chips on the wing. None of these items were reported on the inspection which was carried out in light and dry conditions. I am now looking forward to their response to my dispute.

My brother had that with VW - it was literally unmarked and was noted so on inspection.

Then a completely trumped up set of charges appeared. They kept accepting what he said, then sending another threatening letter. In the end he said "go ahead and sue me" and never heard anymore.

Thanks for your responses everyone. Surely if they take the car and both parties have signed the paperwork then they can't come back later with other notes???
Apparently scratches to glass are quite common. This is the first time I've experienced it in all my driving life and I will definitely NOT be using a scraper again. I will spray my screen with de-icer and wipe away with a rubber blade. If you get grit on the screen then you can easily scratch it...

Reading all this has really made look forward to two years time when my SLK goes back.... :D:D:D

Thanks for your responses everyone. Surely if they take the car and both parties have signed the paperwork then they can't come back later with other notes???
Apparently scratches to glass are quite common. This is the first time I've experienced it in all my driving life and I will definitely NOT be using a scraper again. I will spray my screen with de-icer and wipe away with a rubber blade. If you get grit on the screen then you can easily scratch it...

The paperwork will say something along the lines of it being an initial inspection only and being subject to a final appraisal.

Do you think they would notice any replacement glass not having the MB star on it?

Leasing Companies are wising up to Return Conditions on PCP agreements and are seeing it as a useful way to improve their bottom line profit.

A huge amount of cars are being sold by way of PCP's at the moment with private individuals getting lured in with the very competitive monthly rentals, but I suspect that they will have their fingers burnt once it comes to returning the vehicle, especially if its gone over the mileage limit and is returned with scuffed alloys, dinks and dents and soiled interiors etc etc.......I suspect that most people buying a car on PCP rarely look at the return conditions when they sign on the dotted line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom